twin turbo issues thoughts?

mralbuquerque

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got an 06 twin turbo viper that has a greddy profec boost controller, tial waste gates and is tuned with an sct controller. The issue I'm having is the car has been tuned on the dyno and had nice a/f ratios when its was completed. Then, after driving the car for a while the car loses power and the a/f ratio goes very rich 10 to 1 and a bit richer. While being checked by the dyno operator he found the a/f ratio rich and decided to increase the boost setting another two pounds using the controller but it eventually returns to the original amount of boost. The boost remains constant when it returns to its original settings but the a/f ratio's goes to he--. Additionally, I am able to temporarily increase the boost with the controller/ dragstrip runs but it does doesn't hold the boost for very long.

The shop were they dyno the vehicle thinks the sct controller might not doing its job. They recommend the aem unit but at this time i'm not willing to spend 5k and take it to RSI or John Reed to install the aem unit. Another thought has been to remove the boost controller from the equation and run it off the waste gate alone.

Any thoughts or suggestions would greatly be appreciated. .

Tiago

Viper Owner
Reaction score
sounds like a boost controller problem. Take it off first and confirm the WG work as needed.

the tune should hold correct AFR no matter what boost though, if it can't do that, then its no good for a turbo car....

Mdeniz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That boost controller is a POS, and their solenoids are known to go bad. With that said, I would absolutely encourage you get an AEM, $5k is a lot less than a new bottom end. Not to mention you will enjoy the car a lot more if its running consistent.

Yours,
Mario Deniz

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I will call you tomorrow... I forgot about this as I had just gotten back into town when you left that VM.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Liberty235