Two Post Lift for long term storage?

RT/ED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone using a two post lift for storing their Viper during winter months? Thinking about adding a two post lift so that it would offer me the versatility of working on tires/brakes/suspension.

Reaction score
It is not good for the suspension bushings to be in bind while the wheels hang for long periods of time esspecially when the car is older and bushings are prone to cracking. People do it, but it is not the ideal place.

denniskgb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
four post lift accesories include an option to jack up your car and have wheels off the ramp. pay more and nothing will be in the way and safer way to store your viper.

ACRSNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
four post lift accesories include an option to jack up your car and have wheels off the ramp. pay more and nothing will be in the way and safer way to store your viper.

Agreed...go with a 4 post lift. I have one and as denniskgb stated, you can get the tires off on a 4 post lift as well. Just need the jack.

Nsane1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ditto, 2 is not recommended, 4 is the most economical, space friendly, and easiest way to go.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
If only I could fit one in my 100" tall garage....

I have one in my 9' - it's not 100% usable, but trust me when
I say that I regret nothing about buying it... worth every penny
when oil change day comes for seven cars...

Viper98912

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have one in my 9' - it's not 100% usable, but trust me when
I say that I regret nothing about buying it... worth every penny
when oil change day comes for seven cars...
My problem is I thought I would be able to park a car under it, but measured one car to be 48" tall vs the other is 52" tall. So while the oil changes and car work would do great, the storage won't work. Still considering a maxjax I guess for the car work.

denniskgb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My problem is I thought I would be able to park a car under it, but measured one car to be 48" tall vs the other is 52" tall. So while the oil changes and car work would do great, the storage won't work. Still considering a maxjax I guess for the car work.

so you would not be able to park under a two post lift either. with this in mind just buy a four post. you will not regret

evomind

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I just bought a new house and its perfect in all respects except its only a 2 car garage. It DOES have a very high ceiling though and I think I could put a car on a lift but I know nothing about them.
Is this a 4 post lift you guys are referring to?
http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/4...zPuOeAZwrm7cPcG2odTYxoCKYvw_wcB#!4-Post-Lifts

One problem I see in my garage is that when the garage door opens, it opens at the normal height. Is there a way to have it open on a much higher arc?
Also what might be an approximate installation cost?
Im in the Chicagoland area.
Thanks!

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I just bought a new house and its perfect in all respects except its only a 2 car garage. It DOES have a very high ceiling though and I think I could put a car on a lift but I know nothing about them.
Is this a 4 post lift you guys are referring to?
http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/4...zPuOeAZwrm7cPcG2odTYxoCKYvw_wcB#!4-Post-Lifts

One problem I see in my garage is that when the garage door opens, it opens at the normal height. Is there a way to have it open on a much higher arc?
Also what might be an approximate installation cost?
Im in the Chicagoland area.
Thanks!

Yes you have to install a "high lift" kit, make sure you call around and find one experienced. You should also get a side mount operator, I got the Latest LiftMaster series, 8600 series or something. Again make sure the company is experienced if you want to maximize every inch of space. Here is a picture of my 4 post installed after the new high lift garage door kit, you can see it hugs the very top of the ceiling maximizing my 10' ceilings. The company even though they said they were experienced, sent out 2 techs that had never done a high lift before, they ended up having to come back and redo the whole thing unfortunately, this is why I am stressing the experience:

You must be registered for see images

Dirk Pitt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You want what are called jack drive garage doors openers. The doors will retract at ceiling height. PM me if you want info on the brand I have and/or photos. They work great and are only slightly more expensive than traditional garage door openers.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If storage isn't needed, a Nussbaum Scissor lift is another alternative. Not the cheapest solution but garage floor thickness, PSI,expansion joint
location, etc. typically isn't an issue as the load is spread far broader than any other type of lift and it's only 4" thick down while being almost 7 feet when fully elevated.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets