Ultra copper rtv won't set up

Kevin ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ultra copper rtv won\'t set up

Anyone know whether I should disassemble my belanger header flanges after using ultracopper permatex rtv that won't set up? Had belanger re-do the headers as the flanges warped due to heat wrapping (don't do it) . They did a beautiful job of straightening everything out and new jet hot coating, in fact the re-coat of jet-hot looks like chrome compared to the first time!

Looking back obviously I should have bought a new tube of rtv just to be safe, didn't, and now 3 days later the excess is still slimey on the outside of the flanges. On one hand it's clamped between machined flanges and must be darn thin, on the other hand I'd hate to have to re-do this job later.

Must have gotten too old or too cold, don't want to go through all of this exhaust / header rebuild effort and find out the flanges might leak. Any experience with this stuff.

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Ultra copper rtv won\'t set up

Try calling Permatex and talking to an applications engineer. How old is the RTV?

hemibeep

Viper Owner
Reaction score

When my RTV gets too old, it hardens.
don't know about your temperature up there. Is it slimy to the point that it rubs off?

Also RTV is Room Temperature Vulcanizing. probably around 70deg.

I might be tempted to start the car, INSTANT heat.

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Good point by hemibeep. Have you started the car? If the RTV is slimey, try a hair dryer to get it to cure. Or start the darn thing. That will get things cooking.

PSilverGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I did my timing belt in my LS and used the ultra copper on my water pump and it stayed slimey, even after waiting almost two days, I started the car anyway and no leaks. My tube was a couple years old. The heat seams to be the trick to getting it set up all the way. I think your safe.

OP
OP
K

Kevin ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks everyone, rtv on for 5 days at 50 degrees. RTV a year or two or more old and might have gotten too cold.

I agree you would think starting it would do the trick.

I can't start the engine due to.... new battery to install, installing Tom's rear upgrade calipers, no oil in the engine & exhaust incomplete.

I'll call permatex tomorrow to see if I can avoid disassembly, otherwise I'll rework it as much as I cringe at the thought. thanks again.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score

A for-sure approach is to use the common 3" copper flange gasket. They last forever and don't leak, they probably would have sealed the warped flange if it wasn't too bad. There is too much torque and moment at that junction to rely on the machine surface.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4