Upcoming Winter Mods

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Folks,

I totally realize its Summer, but I am planning now for my mods this Winter. They will be extensive and I need your inputs. I am now running with a Paxton, Belanger Headers, RT High flow cats, Corsa Track exhaust, VEC 3, upgraded seimens 65# injectors, walboror 307 in-tank fuel pump.

Here is the question or opinions needed:

Heads: Greg Good's or Stryker or other?

Rods and Pistons: Forged definitly but who's?

Cam: Who's? Comp coupe?

Roller Rockers: Who's

Any other ideas like a comp coup oil pan?

Suggestions needed for this build please.

:eater:

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For engine builds for paxton applications I would talk to Dan at Viper Specialty. He know his stuff...

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Sorry - one vote to ban for posting the W***** word. Gotta love the beautiful summer weather that we are finally getting in Iowa. Luckily, I'm no where near the flood waters.

PJJP

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here's what I am thinking of doing soon:
Vec3
Fuel System(pump, injectors, etc)
Manley Rods
JE Pistons
Coated main bearings
main caps
main studs
Comp coupe cam
Greg Good heads
Jesel Rockers
ATI balancer
SPEC clutch
and..... 12lb pulley as the cherry on top.

am I missing something?

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Folks,

I totally realize its Summer, but I am planning now for my mods this Winter. They will be extensive and I need your inputs. I am now running with a Paxton, Belanger Headers, RT High flow cats, Corsa Track exhaust, VEC 3, upgraded seimens 65# injectors, walboror 307 in-tank fuel pump.

Here is the question or opinions needed:

Heads: Greg Good's or Stryker or other?

Rods and Pistons: Forged definitly but who's?

Cam: Who's? Comp coupe?

Roller Rockers: Who's

Any other ideas like a comp coup oil pan?

Suggestions needed for this build please.

:eater:

I just finished a rather extensive build on a gen 2. A lot of these points apply here. BTW, this path was given to me by Joe Donovan at PBJ.

Heads... Strykers w/o a doubt. They come with pushrods and Jesel RRs. (That answeres your question about RRs) They are expensive but worth it. Greg Goods rework is good too. He is limited to the parameters of the stock head casting though. Strykers are Jeff Morys design and a completely dif. casting. Something else to consider, Strikers come complete. if you order Strikers, Jeff will ask you several questions about what you are trying to do. He will then set up spring pressure etc. His price is a complete bolt on head w/pushrods. If you go the GG route. You will need to order the correct springs, pushrods RRs etc. GG is very good and I'm sure he will help you with this. He did the porting work on my blower intake.

pistons/rods..You will get different opinions on this depending on the builder. I had the pistons made with lower ring lans(..sp?)(grooves) to keep the piston from breaking on the dome due to boost.

cam.. I had a billett cam "ground" to get the most of the other mods. on the engine

I would also suggest billet mains and to "stud" the entire engine. These points are an overview but this is something to start thinking about. My engine was machined and built at Arrow racing

Hope this helps...

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vec3
Manley Rods
JE Pistons
Coated main bearings
main caps
main studs
Comp coupe cam
Greg Good heads
Jesel Rockers
ATI balancer
SPEC clutch

am I missing something?

I dunno...maybe a couple pounds of boost????:D

Why not run the AEM stand alone instead of the piggy back set ups?

Next step for me is to go into the motor too...so I'm staying tuned:2tu:

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
id call DLM as nobody knows more about a paxton setup on vipers.

my build consists of CP pistons w/lower ring lands, oliver rods, GG head work, ARP studs and a cam specified for a sc application.

its all about the package. its not really just what part and size to use ? ya gotta know what your final goals for this car/engine combo are and then build it to fit. best advice is to TALK TO YOUR ENGINE BUILDER about it. PERIOD !

definitely get the align honing and billet main caps though cause at the power level you're looking at, you'll need them. and spend the extra bucks on a GOOD in the tank fuel system

OP
OP
F

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just finished a rather extensive build on a gen 2. A lot of these points apply here. BTW, this path was given to me by Joe Donovan at PBJ.

Heads... Strykers w/o a doubt. They come with pushrods and Jesel RRs. (That answeres your question about RRs) They are expensive but worth it. Greg Goods rework is good too. He is limited to the parameters of the stock head casting though. Strykers are Jeff Morys design and a completely dif. casting. Something else to consider, Strikers come complete. if you order Strikers, Jeff will ask you several questions about what you are trying to do. He will then set up spring pressure etc. His price is a complete bolt on head w/pushrods. If you go the GG route. You will need to order the correct springs, pushrods RRs etc. GG is very good and I'm sure he will help you with this. He did the porting work on my blower intake.

pistons/rods..You will get different opinions on this depending on the builder. I had the pistons made with lower ring lans(..sp?)(grooves) to keep the piston from breaking on the dome due to boost.

cam.. I had a billett cam "ground" to get the most of the other mods. on the engine

I would also suggest billet mains and to "stud" the entire engine. These points are an overview but this is something to start thinking about. My engine was machined and built at Arrow racing

Hope this helps...

Thanks, very good input and things to consider.

OP
OP
F

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vec3
Manley Rods
JE Pistons
Coated main bearings
main caps
main studs
Comp coupe cam
Greg Good heads
Jesel Rockers
ATI balancer
SPEC clutch

am I missing something?

I have the fuel system upgraded already, a 12lb pulley, and the ATI balancer. Thanks for the items to consider for going in to the engine though.

OP
OP
F

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dunno...maybe a couple pounds of boost????:D

Why not run the AEM stand alone instead of the piggy back set ups?

Next step for me is to go into the motor too...so I'm staying tuned:2tu:

I have the other issues resolved I told you about. Now its time to get in the engine and then let it rip :2tu:

OP
OP
F

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry - one vote to ban for posting the W***** word. Gotta love the beautiful summer weather that we are finally getting in Iowa. Luckily, I'm no where near the flood waters.

Rocket - gotta plan ahead dude. Glad your out of harms way from the floods.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Fast - funny that you say that you have to plan ahead as I was talking to a supplier earlier in the week and a set of 3.33 gears might be on order for my W***** project.

I gotta ask you though, based on the mods you've done and are planning, did you ever consider a twin turbo setup instead of the paxton?

I still vote to ban for saying the "W" word though.

OP
OP
F

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fast - funny that you say that you have to plan ahead as I was talking to a supplier earlier in the week and a set of 3.33 gears might be on order for my W***** project.

I gotta ask you though, based on the mods you've done and are planning, did you ever consider a twin turbo setup instead of the paxton?

I still vote to ban for saying the "W" word though.

Ban vote back at you for having such a late spring / summer. :D Too funny you ask about the turbo. Yes the twin turbo idea is in my head. Got hooked up with a great tuner and fabricator. He is really trying to get his foot in the door to our community and I think I am going to support him in this. He is spitting out twin turbo kits (his design on foregins) that are putting down 1000+ rwhp. His shop is full capable, CNC machining, Dyno, engine builds etc. There is nothing he cannot do in the facility. I offered to be the proto so we will see where that goes.

PJJP

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Fast Too, are you already running the 12lb pulley on the stock motor?

OP
OP
F

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wow, you must have 700+rwhp just with that.

I do...but is is very north of safe on a stock motor. Got to go inside and make it stronger now. I have done a leak down test of all cylinders and nothing yet is showing any sign of failure, but I want to be proactive and not reactive.

caraholic

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fast Too,
I visited AR Fabrication in Virginia. They were supposed to send me a proposal for a VEC-3, in tank fuel pump, and larger injectors. I never heard from the owner. I wonder if they are really interested in getting the Viper business?

OP
OP
F

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fast Too,
I visited AR Fabrication in Virginia. They were supposed to send me a proposal for a VEC-3, in tank fuel pump, and larger injectors. I never heard from the owner. I wonder if they are really interested in getting the Viper business?

Did you ever follow up? They are very responsive to me. I know they are very interested in working on our cars. They are looking at various upgrade packages right now to offer to the community and also looking at becoming a sponsor to this site. Send me a PM with your real name and I'll ping them with a *** if you like. They also just installed a Corsa for one of our regional members on his 08 and he is very pleased with the service he received. In my case they are putting together a engine rebuild package, so I am not sure why you haven't heard anything back. Let me know if you want me to pick up the phone for you, or you can give them a call yourself. Here is the number in case you lost it. (540)722-3966

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang