UPDATE ON THE OFFICIAL SRT-10 POLL!!!

Reaction score
It is called timing!

Dodge Team Viper/PVO listens to the "Viper Nation" more than any other producer.

The "Viper Nation" wants more power, better braking, less weight, better handling, rear wheel drive and a big cubic inch V10.

I am glad the listened!

Why is it that none of those who do not like the SRT10 answer the following question? What rag top has the performance of the SRT10 and better styling?

And only one person admitted they did not attend (and with a valid reason, they were not a Viper owner) the VOI5&6 Gen 3 meetings. Owners interested in the new car took time to spend with Team Viper to let them know what was wanted.

If you do not like the styling attend the meeting for Gen 4.

Those who do not like the styling of the CC please raise your key boards. Elite1 is the first one I know who does not like the CC. Are there more?

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The side air extractors on the CC are just as homely and out-of-place as they are on the SRT. I think the roofline and greenhouse area of the CC looks squashed and poorly proportioned to the rest of the car. I've said this before, but somebody flushed the thread because it wasn't 100% positive for the design.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fred(DrivingSchool)Kinder:
Of those who do not like the SRT10 how many took the time to tell team Viper what you wanted in Gen 3? How many of you are going to VOI7.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I too was not an owner and therefore could not provide input back then. However, I am going to VOI7, and will voice my opinion.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fred(DrivingSchool)Kinder:
I was at both VOI meetings and completed the survey. At the meetings I attended the majority of owners wanted:

Better Brakes, braking
More "V10" Power
Less weight
Better cornering
Remain King of The Hill
Folding rag top
Rear wheel drive

Styling was not a concern!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The list you provided generally was a list of desired IMPROVEMENTS. There was no desire to IMPROVE the styling, similar outrageous styling was expected. In contrast, similar braking, similar weight, etc. was not expected, that's why it was on the above list of things to IMPROVE!

They gave us what we wanted!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No they did not. I am a daily driver of an RT/10, virtually always without the top on. This sometimes leads me to leave the car in a "*******" state in less than desirable situations, because of the time involved with the top installation. I wanted the new viper to have the aforementioned improvements, including a rag top for easier daily use, but with similar styling! So did most everyone else. What was not asked for was REDUCED styling! This version may have been fine as a design on its own, but it just doesn't meet the expectations of the current owners, given the current styling. I may end up getting one eventually though, for the ease of use of the top, but I'm not in any hurry.

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everyone has had a "say" in the Viper. Are you not driving the car you love right now? I have a Viper that fits my personal taste, as I am sure most of you do. Am I wrong because I am not a fan of the GTS or even RT/10 that have "convenience" build in? I hope that I am allowed to admire and lust after a car for more than looks? I doubt everyone (because I would not be one of them) had a 50/50 reason for purchasing a Viper based on looks.

Today, I drive the car of my dreams, and I think most of you do also. If that is the case, then how could you be dissatisfied?

Tenney

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some credit where due: When D. School speaks, Fergie's lips barely move. Impressive. And certainly well-worthy of advanced knowledge of salt and pepper shaker refill times in the DC commissary.

If we were all buying based on peformance alone, a Z06/Lingenfelter combo ought to more than get the job done at same price point.

Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tenney:
Some credit where due: When D. School speaks, Fergie's lips barely move. Impressive. And certainly well-worthy of advanced knowledge of salt and pepper shaker refill times in the DC commissary.

If we were all buying based on performance alone, a Z06/Lingenfelter combo ought to more than get the job done at same price point.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Correct if you want to buy a car from a tuner.

But the list of rag tops with the performance of the SRT10
continues to be ZERO!!!!

Take another poll: What is more important Viper (for a V10 basic sports car) styling or performance?

CAP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMHO, this thread should have died after the original post. THE POINT WAS MADE.
dead.gif

Reaction score
To reduce air resistance and maximize engine, power steering and brake cooling, styling has to follow performance.

Look at F1, CART, Indy, NASCAR cars look alike. A 200 MPH rag top is not an easy task!

Lots of criticism for styling, but no examples of a rag top with better performance.

Tenney

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure if this is what Benz customers "asked for", but DC's own SL55 (an open car, Fred) has been clocked above 200 mph in a few Euro tests. Will be interesting to see if the SRT matches these figures.

Reaction score
The SL55 is a nice car. What is its 0-60 time? 1/4 mile time and road handling ability?

I have a 2001 S500 and like it.

But, I still like the SRT10 better. It is good old American muscle.

Who asked for a fast rag top? I guess you missed the VOI 4 & 5 meetings with Team Viper, my previous post and the SRT10 press release. The "Viper Nation" asked for more HP, better brakes, better handling and less weight.

Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
I guess perhaps you haven't recognized that many of us aren't impressed with a ragtop, no matter what kind of performance it delivers.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I see your point, you do not like rag tops period! That I understand as I also like the GTS. Wait and hope the rag top sells well so that a coupe will follow.

My first car was a RT10, which I enjoyed and liked. But, I like the additional luggage space of the GTS and did not like RT10; the take off tops, and the light rear end above 140. My soft top was in the factory sealed plastic bag as delivered and the hard top never put on after 97(the year I bought a GTS), the RT10 sold in 2000. I liked the open air feeling while driving the RT10, the improved visibality but top on/off feature kept the car in the garage most of the time.

So I am glad that the new car is a rag top, with a top that can be put up and down easy, has luggage space, and can do 200 MPH without getting air, 0-60 in less than 4 sec., with better handling.

SmokinV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fred,
If you said that DC was correct in designing the car by the way a few (very small sampling) owner said at a VOI, well thats just plain marketing stupidity. When you are determining the Value proposition of your target audience, it is BASIC MARKETING 101 to know that you put yourself in the life of a customer. You DONT ASK THEM WHAT THEY WANT. You determine whta they want by trying to live their lifestyle. IF THEY lived the lifestyle and understood the wants of Vipernation, the poll wouldnt have been as disastrous as it looked.

OP
OP
K

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SmokinV10:
Fred,
If you said that DC was correct in designing the car by the way a few (very small sampling) owner said at a VOI, well thats just plain marketing stupidity. When you are determining the Value proposition of your target audience, it is BASIC MARKETING 101 to know that you put yourself in the life of a customer. You DONT ASK THEM WHAT THEY WANT. You determine whta they want by trying to live their lifestyle. IF THEY lived the lifestyle and understood the wants of Vipernation, the poll wouldnt have been as disastrous as it looked.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

HEY MAN!!!!!!!! I DIDN'T KNOW YOU WERE BACK! I WOULD'VE GIVEN YOU A WELCOME HOME POST!
You must be registered for see images
You must be registered for see images

SmokinV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Trey! Thanks for the kind words! Today is my first day back! I have a post going in the Snake pit....been busy over there
supergrin.gif

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At Carlisle last weekend, I had the pleasure of having lunch with some fellow Viper owners, as well as speak with even more. Everytime the SRT came up, everyone seemed to agree that it is a step backwards. This is certainly not a scientific poll, but it sure spoke volumes to me. I also spoke to a dealer from Canada last weekend. His local Rep apparently got the opportunity to drive an SRT, and reported that the car's footwells got so hot that the A/C could not even combat the heat.

Reaction score
The GEN 1 and 2 Viper total package is a hard act to follow.

The SRT10 is not as unique as its predecessor. But to keep the car on the ground and reduce air resistance the form had to be changed. The rag top configuration also eliminated the RT10 sport bar. Thus the car is taking the form of a car with improved aerodynamics.

I also like the coupe better but the economy and 9-11 have put it on hold. I am disappointed that DC terminated the race program relationship with ORECA. ORECA was going to develop a GTS race car first then a street equivalent was going to follow. This year ORECA started Le Mans with 3 (2 LPM900's and one LM GTS Viper) cars and all three finished which is a great accomplishment. The Viper finished 3rd behind 2 Vettes, another great performance without direct DC support.

Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
So you're saying that all of the Viper owners who attend a VOI meet are asked by DC for styling cues to help design a new car???
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lets start with reading comprehension 101.

At VOI 4 and 5 Team Viper had daily sessions open to all attendees. The sessions addressed all Viper related questions from problems with GEN 1 and 2 cars to what we wanted in the next generation. It was close to how a focus group operates. I am not going to repeat (read my earlier post) what the majority of owners wanted to see in the Gen 3. If you want the statistics form the survey form I will try to get them. If you call requesting a rag top vs a removable top as styling so be it!

Viper enthusiast attend VOI's so it would seem pretty logical to ask the enthusiast what they would like to see in the next GEN.

If you have not observed a RT's on the track you have not been to Viperdays nor any major open-tack event. FYI the first viper to race at Le Mans was a RT.

OP
OP
K

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Lets start with reading comprehension 101.

At VOI 4 and 5 Team Viper had daily sessions open to all attendees. The sessions addressed all Viper related questions from problems with GEN 1 and 2 cars to what we wanted in the next generation. It was close to how a focus group operates. I am not going to repeat (read my earlier post) what the majority of owners wanted to see in the Gen 3. If you want the statistics form the survey form I will try to get them. If you call requesting a rag top vs a removable top as styling so be it!

Viper enthusiast attend VOI's so it would seem pretty logical to ask the enthusiast what they would like to see in the next GEN.

If you have not observed a RT's on the track you have not been to Viperdays nor any major open-tack event. FYI the first viper to race at Le Mans was a RT.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll have to go back & read your posts but I think the problem might be that only a VERY small percentage of Viper owners actaully are members of the VCA. And even smaller % even know this Board exists & contribute to it. So although given the opportunity to voice our opinions at VOI in the past, those opinions weren't respective of the whole by any means. Now I'll go back & read the thread to see if I even made sense.
smile.gif

OP
OP
K

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Matt M, PA:
At Carlisle last weekend, I had the pleasure of having lunch with some fellow Viper owners, as well as speak with even more. Everytime the SRT came up, everyone seemed to agree that it is a step backwards. This is certainly not a scientific poll, but it sure spoke volumes to me. I also spoke to a dealer from Canada last weekend. His local Rep apparently got the opportunity to drive an SRT, and reported that the car's footwells got so hot that the A/C could not even combat the heat.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

WOW! I missed this one! Are you serious! That's absolutely CRAZY!

viperweb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tenney:
Not sure if this is what Benz customers "asked for", but DC's own SL55 (an open car, Fred) has been clocked above 200 mph in a few Euro tests. Will be interesting to see if the SRT matches these figures.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, but I doubt they tested it with the hardtop down.