UPDATE ON THE OFFICIAL SRT-10 POLL!!!

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just wanted to Update everyone that participated & voted on the Official SRT-10 Poll. I've been told by one of the "high ups" on this Board, the "highest up", that, and I quote,

"I can honestly tell you that everyone you would want to see the Poll, has. From the <u>Head of Dodge</u>, to the Dodge Marketing Manager, to the Plant Manager, to the Head of Viper Engineering."

That E-mail I received was encouraging to me. We know for a fact that they read all our input & opinions. That information would be invaluable to them IMO. The question now is, "Will they listen?"

The final Poll results were 213-45 AGAINST the SRT-10. Thanks for voting!

Special Thanks go out to Tony <FONT COLOR="red"><FONT size="3">(Vipermad)</FONT c></FONT s> Rickard for allowing the Poll to run!! Thanks Tony for letting our voices be heard!

S

SUN RA KAT

Now if the SRT-10 had adjustable height suspension so you wouldn't scrape the bottom of the front the results might have been different.
laugh.gif

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Maxwedge:
All those snobby BMW turds are going to have to swallow a big chunk of SRT-10
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're so vindictive!
laughing2[1].gif

But I wholeheartedly agree.

And now, if I may digress,

You will never get the majority of GTS fans who voted thumbs down to like the SRT. But look at it this way-

Out of maybe 14000 happy GTS + RT owners, only less than 300 or so bothered to vote against the SRT. I don't beleive this is signifigant, statistically speaking. I mean, most married people have lots of complaints about their spouses, but they still sleep with them, don't they? Ok, maybe thats not an appropriate analogy....

Out of 14000 Viper owners, plus all the registered visitors, its really signifigant that there hasn't been more negative votes than that. That is still a predictable percentage of negative reactions to a major change in any product. Even considering that those who vote only represent a small percentage of those who feel the same, but don't vote, (stay with me now), it still can be said that there are far more Viper owners and registered board members who have no negative feelings about the SRT.

I'll bet there were lots of naysayers when the boxy, flat, 84 Vette came out. It was NO WHERE NEAR AS **** as the swoopy 82 Vette that preceded it. Regardless what you think about Vettes, it is clear that this initial shock of a major (and possibly negative) change in styles did not sink the Vette, cause they are still sellin' em...between 20 to 40 thousand a year, I think.

So it is with the SRT. The current GTS owners, especially, and fewer RT owners, have the most negative to say. Me included. They will mostly keep feeling betrayed, and whinning, while meanwhile, the SRT will be kickin' *** all over the world, making loyal fans out of newer Viper converts. The naysayers will fade away, like yesterday's news.

I'm glad I got a GTS, 'cause it absolutely is a classic, and grabs me like no other automobile ever has. But time marches on, and clinging to the past is a losing battle. Lets get behind the SRT, and wave it on to victory.

Remember, if classics never changed, they wouldn't be classics, would they?

Trey, your poll shows a talent for public endeavor. Congrats on your efforts, and the great impact you have made.

-Vic

Robert Dyck

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Originally posted by King GTS:
I just wanted to Update everyone that participated & voted on the Official SRT-10 Poll. I've been told by one of the "high ups" on this Board, the "highest up", that, and I quote,

"I can honestly tell you that everyone you would want to see the Poll, has. From the <u>Head of Dodge</u>, to the Dodge Marketing Manager, to the Plant Manager, to the Head of Viper Engineering."

==============================================================

Big Deal.............

I'm keeping my 97 GTS...but I'm out.

Ain't goin to buy another Dodge. Will Sell the Durango also. The fleetwide window-operator problem really bugs me. Three of the four windows on the Durango stop working. We have Dodge fleet cars at work. Many of their windows stopped working also. I know of other Durango owners, whose windows have stopped working also. Dodge should recall this design deficiency, and repair all of those vehicles at no cost to the owners. My god, look how much it will cost them in lost vehicle sales??

I'm out. Finished with Dodge.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The problem with the windows are the crappy switches.They just don't work after awhile.Take one apart sometime and you will see why.Use your long term wranty.Switches are about $100.00 a pop unless you are brave enough to take one apart and fiddle with it. Bruce

Robert Dyck

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GTS Bruce:
The problem with the windows are the crappy switches.They just don't work after awhile.Take one apart sometime and you will see why.Use your long term wranty.Switches are about $100.00 a pop unless you are brave enough to take one apart and fiddle with it. Bruce

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

=====================================================

Understand Bruce........no long term warranty.....should I have expected to purchase one???

I will not take my weekend time to screw with a Dodge design deficiency.

F-em. $100 is not alot of money, however, I will not pay dodge to fix their problem. The three windows on our 2000 Durango will stay broken..... I'm going to sell the thing with the broken windows.

F-Dodge.

Birvini

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Trey,

Nice job on the poll. I'm sure you spent alot of time responding to everyone's imput. Very nicely done!!! Thanks for making our opinions clear.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Robert Dyck:
I'm out. Finished with Dodge.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Even though I don't share Roberts specific excuse, I do feel as though the new cars from all the big automakers are become way to boring. With the rare exceptions I don't plan on buying a car newer than 96 for a VERY long time. My reasoning: I feel the newer cars are too gadget prone (I mean really, does the new expedition need to have electric folding seats??) and the more gadgets you have, the less quality is put into the greater whole. It was one of the first reasons I fell for the gen I Viper - no A/C, no traction control, not heated cup holders, no self scrubbing floor mats, no airbag head rest..............

If the guys at dodge really read that, I hope they got the part that said More doesn't always equal better.....

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Robert, you mean to say the Dealer won't fix the windows on your 2000 Durango? You are still under 3/36 warranty right? Man I would blow a head gasket if that were my car...We have a 99
Durango, no problem with the windows...

Maybe MBZ uses the same switch vendor. Ever hear of the chronic problems with window switches in the 98-99 MLs? Imagine, shelling out that kind of money, and have your window stop working and customers were told switches were back ordered for 3-4 months...So you commute to work in your MBZ, go thru tolls, and have to stop and get out to pay...Oh that makes me angry...

Tomer

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
MarkO, you're funny!
laugh.gif

I didn't fall in love with the SRT body style either, but you know they will have to try to get their money out of the tooling...so its gonna take at least a couple of years to get rid of it. Unless they outright "AX" it, like the Edsel?

Meanwhile, since it IS such a great performer, I'd like to see it do well, in competition.

Even if you don't like it, you can concede that it kicks butt, performance wise. I'd like to see it emabarass cars costing far more, 'cause it can. Good for the USA! We are showing some muscle to the rest of the world, and I like that. Same reason I like the GT40.

I gotta get a Sean Roe blower, and lower the GTS, and get some big brakes, so I can keep up with the first SRT I meet at the light!

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vic Rough:
The naysayers will fade away<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Isn't better to do a burnout then to fade away? I'm sure I heard that somewhere...

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought I heard some whining over this way
laugh.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
Originally posted by Vic Rough:
The naysayers will fade away, like yesterday's news.

Us naysayers may fade away, but it doesn't mean that we will be converted.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

People will just stop caring what the few malcontents think. Don't become that bitter sourpuss sitting in the corner of the carshow who replies to everything with "eehhhh, anything made afer '67 is JUNK". Not liking the car is one thing - hating it to the point of putting it in the same category as the Aztek just labels oneself a whiner grasping for the most insulting insult available.

But time marches on, and clinging to the past is a losing battle.

Lessons can be learned from the past, like lousy automotive styling. Can you say Aztec?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

&lt;Yawn....&gt;

Lets get behind the SRT, and wave it on to victory.

More like....
Let's get behind the SRT & push it's bland body design into the dumpster.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mark, I thought your kids were grown up? I hear wailing from a baby all the way up here in N. Andover... geez, it can't be you can it????
laugh.gif

2002graphiteviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to grab this threat and turn it into a Durango bash - but just last night I went to the dealer (I have a 2000 Durango) to get my rotors turned - when they came back out and said they couldn't do it. The rotors were rusting from the inside out - and there were massive pits in the middle of the rotor... The guy couldn't believe it - especially since I bought it brand new 1.5 years ago...
eek.gif

In the end - my warranty wouldn't cover those wear/tear items - and I had to buy two brand new rotors for my front ($124.00 a piece).

I pray to god that my Viper rotors aren't made from the same place!
pissed.gif

PS - no issues with my windows yet...

snowmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good job on the poll, maybe in 10 years the looks for the Viper will be redesigned with VCA members in mind. Until then, I officially declare backlash against the SRT a waste of time. I don't like the looks of the SRT more than anyone else, but if you buy one good for you. Life is short and change is not that bad.

Eddie N

Enthusiast
Reaction score
im sure autoform will manufacture a body kit for the SRT that will give it the agressive look that everyone (including me) seems to crave for the new viper...

theres a cool post in the srt forum where someone took the front of the comp coupe and put it on the SRT.. it looks pretty sweet!!

i didnt vote on the poll because i thought it should be restricted to current viper owners only.. my opinion doesnt really matter when i couldnt afford one anyway.. besides, im still impartial.. i like the performance, and im sure there will be aftermarket cosmetic enhancements available shortly after the cars release that will take away the sterilty..

- eddie -

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Eddie N:
im sure autoform will manufacture a body kit for the SRT that will give it the agressive look that everyone (including me) seems to crave for the new viper... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Still I think I'd rather have the "aggressive look" come straight from the factory, especially if I need to lay out 90 big clams for it. I guess its not much of an issue adding $10k for body works if you had no problem fronting the MSRP, but for poor saps like me it just makes the car that much more undesirable.

Reaction score
"Good job on the poll, maybe in 10 years the looks for the Viper will be redesigned with VCA members in mind."

At VOI 5 and 6 Team Viper had meetings everyday to discuss current Viper issues as well as what we wanted for the next generation. A survey form was sent to VCA members asking them what they wanted in the next GEN.

I was at both VOI meetings and completed the survey. At the meetings I attended the majority of owners wanted:

Better Brakes, braking
More "V10" Power
Less weight
Better cornering
Remain King of The Hill
Folding rag top
Rear wheel drive

Some one wanted a cup holder, an arm rest, a dead pedal.

Styling was not a concern!

They gave us what we wanted!

Is the styling as unique? No! A red and black SRT10, that were out west a couple weeks ago, were parked in San Francisco along with a red GTS. Unofficial feed back, from SF, was that the GTS got more positive attention. No one requested that the styling get as much attention as the present GEN.

No one attending the Team Viper meetings requested styling features.

Changing to a winner is not easy. Once the SRT10 is known as the new King of the Hill opinions will change.

How many of you who voted against the SRT10 attended the Team Viper meetings and answered the survey?

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fred(DrivingSchool)Kinder:
A form survey was sent to VCA members asking them what they wanted in the next GEN.

I was at both VOI meetings and completed the survey. At the meetings I attended the majority of owners wanted:

Better Brakes, braking
More "V10" Power
Less weight
Better cornering
Remain King of The Hill
Folding rag top
Rear wheel drive

Some one wanted a cup holder, an arm rest, a dead pedal.

They gave us what we wanted!

No one attending the Team Viper meetings requested styling features.

How many of you who voted against the SRT10 attended the Team Viper meetings and answered the survey?

[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I never received any such survey form. I have owned a Viper since August 13, 1993. I attended the first four VOIs, but not the last two or the next one.

The styling of the new car is not all bad, but where it is bad - it's downright offensive.

Reaction score
GTS Dean,

The Next Gen survey mailing list may have been limited to VOI 5 attendee's. Will confirm survey mailing list if possible. Sorry if you were not included.

I think most of the whiners forget:
1. The SRT10 is a 200 MPH rag top.
2. 0-60 in 3.x sec.

How many other brands can keep up with the SRT10 on the track or street?

Want a New Gen. GTS, like the concept car? Buy a Competition Coupe and be happy.

Track it or polish it in you garage. Only limitation is that it can not be driven on the street.

Survey Reply (from the SRT10 press release)info:

"AKA Dodge's Viper Nation--the replies consistently demanded...
More Power
Bigger Brakes
Lighter weight
A new convertible top mechanism
A dead pedal
Greater interior comfort

Owners were also asked what they didn't want:
Digital instrumentation
Cruise control
cup holders A "bow-tie" lookalike"

From all reports Dodge Team Viper now PVO is delivering what we want!

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It sure wasn't! I guess for the Gen III GTS we will have to be sure to say:

"don't make it look like an S2000"

"don't use the designer of the Camery to design it"

It's hard for me to believe that most people preferred a convertible to a hard top with the GTS far out selling the RT/10....

Reaction score
The present Viper is the oldest car Dodge makes. It is time for a new generation.

The original plan (before the economy took a hit and 9-11) was to bring out a true rag top and in parallel working with ORECA develop a new GTS winning race car. After it was proven successful race car a street version would be produced.

The 2003 Concept CC was a styling hit. The SRT-10 is almost the same car with out the top and rear wing.

The only problem is the economic impact on the GTS program. I would rather see ORECA racing a new generation Viper at Le Mans and ALMS, than watch Dodges and NASCAR.

remster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fred(DrivingSchool)Kinder:
The 2003 Concept CC was a styling hit.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

agreed.
But had I known that was going to be the "new" viper I'd have started screaming back then NO! NO! NO!!

I'd have prefered the Viper production to be halted for a couple years while they make some Snipers or Gripers based on the concept.

... get it out of their system then go back to make real Vipers.

The fact that Dodge hadn't changed the outside look of the Viper was what I liked about it.

Reaction score
It is clear the some would like to keep the present styling.

The styling is not why I bought a Viper. It was its performance.

What rag top can offer the performance of the SRT10?

I saw a GT-2 with the Worlds Best Supercars and feel the SRT-10 would have been more suited. It is about performance! All the Supercars were there because of performance. Styling without performance is of little interest to me.

CAP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With respect for everyone's feelings on this subject, I will stop trying to convince people that the SRT is not a Viper if those people will stop trying to convince me that it is.
supergrin.gif

Eddie N

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The styling is not why I bought a Viper. It was its performance.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

oohhhhhhhhhh, so you're that one guy? ive heard about you before.. most people i know bought the viper for looks AND performance equally (50/50).. i would even go as far as to say most vipers were bought based on looks.. but hey, most of us are posers that wouldnt be caught dead near a track, right?
rolleyes.gif
smile.gif

what was this thread about again?
smile.gif

- eddie -

OP
OP
K

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Originally posted by Eddie N:

"What was this thread about again?"
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

EXACTLY!
You must be registered for see images
You must be registered for see images

Elite1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why is it that because I didn't join the Viper family until March of 2001 my opinion on the 2003 styling is dismissed because I never got to tell Dodge I like the current style? Why is it that because my sister is having a baby the same day as VOI7 starts my future opinion will be summarily dismissed because I didn't attend VOI and tell them the 2003 style doesn't do it for me? Why is it that because I have a GTS my opinion about the SRT gets automatically dismissed?

BTW, having the GTS I DO NOT like the styling of the CC either. Of all the discussions I'll give you that one. It looks like the exact same car to me just with a roof, roof scoop, and a wing. It still has a front end, side angular grooves and a hood that ***** something more than air through the duct.

I agree most everyone I know bought a Viper at the very least 50/50 on looks and performance. I think everyone that paid money for a Viper should have a say in the matter even if no one is going to listen Our payment was our membership into expressing or opinion on anything Viper related because we put our money where our mouth was and at the very least voted with or checkbooks.

OP
OP
K

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Elite1:
Why is it that because I didn't join the Viper family until March of 2001 my opinion on the 2003 styling is dismissed because I never got to tell Dodge I like the current style? Why is it that because my sister is having a baby the same day as VOI7 starts my future opinion will be summarily dismissed because I didn't attend VOI and tell them the 2003 style doesn't do it for me? Why is it that because I have a GTS my opinion about the SRT gets automatically dismissed?

BTW, having the GTS I DO NOT like the styling of the CC either. Of all the discussions I'll give you that one. It looks like the exact same car to me just with a roof, roof scoop, and a wing. It still has a front end, side angular grooves and a hood that ***** something more than air through the duct.

I agree most everyone I know bought a Viper at the very least 50/50 on looks and performance. I think everyone that paid money for a Viper should have a say in the matter even if no one is going to listen Our payment was our membership into expressing or opinion on anything Viper related because we put our money where our mouth was and at the very least voted with or checkbooks.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well said!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4