Upgrade to 708 Lumpy Cam or aftermarket?

viperrt96

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viperrt96,

Hey, I understand. Over the past few years I've been working on a LS6 with nitrous, LS 408 Stroker, Buick turbo V6, LS2 in a Trailblazer SS, and the Viper. Including turbo tuning and nitrous tuning. Started with LS1 edit on the LS6, then EFI Live on the LS6, Direct Scan for the Buick, HPTuners for the Trailblazer SS, and VEC II on the Viper. To top if off I am over 40 (brain cell issues), so needless to say, I can get mixed up too. So far though, I have not made a hugef error, like buying a FAST system for my GN and ordering it with the 8-cylinder option :crazy:

:2tu:

Well, after writing all that out....its no wonder I'm out of money :eek:

Man....and I've always blamed my memory loss on my wife and two kids :D

I can't imagine keeping all that stuff you got going on straight.

patagoniaman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What's are the complete cam specs, only the lift and overlap have been listed, what's the duration at 0.050?

viperrt96

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 708 is actually part number 4763 708. The 708 is stamped on the end of the cam so I guess that's why everyone started calling it the "708" cam. Depending on your relationship with your local Dodge dealership parts man, it lists for $344. I think I got mine for like $260. That's not a bad price either way.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Um... you don't have to remove the heads to replace the cam. nor do you have to remove the engine. the "magnet on the lifters" trick saves you a head removal...

JD

viperrt96

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Um... you don't have to remove the heads to replace the cam. nor do you have to remove the engine. the "magnet on the lifters" trick saves you a head removal...

JD

That's true but if you want it put in right the only way to do it is degree it in. The only way to degree a cam in is with the heads off. They don't do it for nothing or do they? Ask any real engine builder but then again it depends on your take of things. Nonetheless I want my cam where I need it and where it works the best.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With so much interest in the 708, I'm curious why an aftermarket cam having more of whatever's great about the 708 cam isn't considered at all?

BTW, just picked up my 1999 GTS-so I've got the best year for that 708 cam (I guess)

CANTDRIVE55

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just boxed up my Comp Cam specs to store while my new house is being built! I had the cam ground for strong mid-range for track use and installed with my Machine Works heads, Crower dual springs, Ti guides, T&D's, etc. I don't think that you can beat the price on the 708 for one. The 708 is a good performer as well. Whatever "floats your boat"!

ASKYOURWIFE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont get it??????

Ok I just bought a 99 rt 10..So I suppose it has this 708 cam in it..

But why and what makes this cam so great compared to the other year cams that you would actuallt take your 2000 year Viper engine apart to put a 99 bone stock 708 cam inside it???

With my 04 C5 vette I changed the stock LS1 cam to a stock LS6 cam for around a 30 rwhp gain...Then a year later i changed the LS6 cam to a thunder racing 224/224 cam for around a 20 rwhp gain over the LS6 cam and around a 50 rwhp gain over my stock LS1 cam that origionally came with the car.

Both times the differance in power was very noticable and worth the extra 300$ for parts and 1000$ for the install..

But why would you spend this kind of money for a bone stock cam????

Is their a differance on the dyno between a 99 and 2000 Viper?

Is their a differance at the drag strip between a 99 and 2000 viper?

Or is it just because of the lumpy idle that my wife keeps yelling at me about and saying I wasted so much money on a car that has an engine thats about to blow?

KepRght

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont get it??????

Ok I just bought a 99 rt 10..So I suppose it has this 708 cam in it..

But why and what makes this cam so great compared to the other year cams that you would actuallt take your 2000 year Viper engine apart to put a 99 bone stock 708 cam inside it???

With my 04 C5 vette I changed the stock LS1 cam to a stock LS6 cam for around a 30 rwhp gain...Then a year later i changed the LS6 cam to a thunder racing 224/224 cam for around a 20 rwhp gain over the LS6 cam and around a 50 rwhp gain over my stock LS1 cam that origionally came with the car.

Both times the differance in power was very noticable and worth the extra 300$ for parts and 1000$ for the install..

But why would you spend this kind of money for a bone stock cam????

Is their a differance on the dyno between a 99 and 2000 Viper?

Is their a differance at the drag strip between a 99 and 2000 viper?

Or is it just because of the lumpy idle that my wife keeps yelling at me about and saying I wasted so much money on a car that has an engine thats about to blow?

lol

patagoniaman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Who has this info? Everyone talks about the 708 cam, but really, what´s it duration? How does it compare to Comp Cams 97-320-10?
CompCams:duration @0.050 218/224, lift(1.6r).528/.536 LSA 114º
708: duration ? ? lift .541/.541 LSA ?
The 708 has more lift than the CC, but that´s half the story to say the least. I´ve tried a search on the internet, but couldn´t find the specs on the 708.
Gary

KepRght

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the only change looking at that page:

6 degrees of valve overlap from 1999 "708 cam" to 2000-2002 "cream puff cam"

from 66 degrees to 60 degrees, 10% change

good page on camshafts:
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/camshaft.htm

OVERLAP:
A situation where both the intake and exhaust valves are open at the same time when the piston is at top dead center on the exhaust stroke. The greater the seat duration is on the intake and exhaust lobes, the greater the overlap will be in degrees.

vipzilla

Viper Owner
Reaction score
it is a great cam for gen 1 but get the heads ported and 1.7 rockers while your in there most gen 1 guys with these 3 mods seen a gain 40-55hp

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys had more than a few cams in my Gen 2 which on motor alone pump gas and stock tires ran 11.2 at 132mph.That being said if heads compression ect atre done put a CROWER STAGE 2 in the car instead of that baby cam (708)out of an early Gen 2.

Ricketts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bump from the dead. Been considering a cam and T&D's 1.7's for my creampuff. But I'm not going through all that trouble for a stock cam(708). Any recommended cams? My car is Creampuff, ported heads, extruded intake, full exhaust. So the cam, can be put in by jacking motor up?

bvk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if I could get the f-ing thing to not idle at 1100 rpm 80% of the time i'd enjoy listening to the 708 in my 98 gts a lot more....

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
id talk to greg good or the guy who ported your heads.

a 708 cam sounds like a toy compared to an aftermarket cam

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's true but if you want it put in right the only way to do it is degree it in. The only way to degree a cam in is with the heads off. They don't do it for nothing or do they? Ask any real engine builder but then again it depends on your take of things. Nonetheless I want my cam where I need it and where it works the best.

So the cam, can be put in by jacking motor up?

The cam can be degree'd with the heads on ;)

Every cam I have done, I have not jacked or moved the engine.

Now the reason for the bump....I was looking for the spec page...links above are no longer working.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The purple shaft cam in my Duster is made with a 104 degree centerline. It needs shifting about 5500rpm. Being a 440 with mods I ported the heads and added a cam kit to change the centerline to 108 degrees. shift point is 6800rpm and the car is much faster.

My 'creampuff' got a straightup instal of a 708 cam with the 10# Roe, 9-1 Ross pistons, TBs 1.7 rockers etc.
Sound clips. Idles at 710rpm and sounds awesome. With the headers and Corsa track exhaust I have people come upm to me and refer to the sound and "I could tell it's not stock as soon as you rumbled into town" etc.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_CE50p4DUg[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3z_E5-NPIA4&feature=channel[/media]

At $350 new it's an excellent choice and performance is excellent. If you wan big rpm power, racing engine or certain pwoer curve then you should order a cam that is for those specific purposes. If you run on the street, these stock cams make excellent power (750rwhp+) great gas mileage (mine is 20mpg us) and drive fabulous.

If you have a problem driving a standard then the newer cams run smooth even at idle whereas the 708 has a 'tendency' to stumble or surge sometimes at 1,000rpms.

Ted

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang