Upper Radiator Hose – Hi RPM (cold), Nearly Collapse?

Copperhead245

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was doing some work on my ’05 and then testing things out.

The car was cold - thermostat not yet open. When I revved it (up to about 4,500RPM), the upper radiator hose was nearly collapsing in on itself from suction.

Video

The coolant reservoir tank is full, and when the car is off and I squeeze that upper hose I can hear a little sloshing in the reservoir.

Can anyone check to see if they hav the same thing happening?

Thanks,

Ron

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
High RPM and Cold generally shouldnt be in the same sentence. you likely have some air in the system if you were working on it, and the water pump is compressing the air on the hot side of the thermostat, and the suction from doing this on the return side of the radiator is making the hose collapse up top, nothing more. There is no pressure in the system when cold either, which doesnt help this situation in any case.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Try burping it via the valve on top of the T-stat...one can also wonder about the status of you pressure ("radiator") cap.

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Same thing happened to mine afer sitting for a while (about 3 weeks) during some mod installs. When the thermo opened and the system pressurized I have't seen the condition return. Keep an eye on it, but I wouldn't worry about it from personal experience.

Art 138

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I suspected Gen III probably had the same issues particularly the paxton'd cars....but most people did not notice because of the braided hose cover which IVs do not have......There should be a retrofit provided by the company with a internal spring arrangement....imagine the heat impact on the tracked cars.....