VENOM 650 SRT10 QUARTER MILE RUNS 10.76 ON FACTORY TIRE

John Myrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just thought I would add my two cents...

I drove the car to work this morning, and out for lunch. This car is fast. It simply kicks a$$.

It's not a dyno queen making incredible horsepower, but it can sure put what power it makes to good use. I don't think I have ever heard or read of any other street cars running times like these on street tires. And I mean real street tires. These runs were on the stock 19" run flats. And the sixty foot times reflect that too.

Any of your guys can cry about JH all you want. I'm not going to be his cheerleader either, but the fact is I now have an awesome SRT-10. This car can change your opinion of the new Vipers.

In case any of you read the Car & Driver article this month, be aware that C&D's test was done three months ago as a basic heads and cam package. The car had a noticable loss of low rpm torque and horsepower back then. Well, the stroker motor sure cured that little problem. It has plenty of low end grunt now.

So in summary, if you have a SRT-10 and aren't real excited about it due to the styling, get yourself a little horsepower injection. You'll get a new appreciation for the new kid on the block.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
John Myrick,

Can you give us a ballpark on how much it all cost to get that performance out of the SRT-10 Viper?

Supra,

I see your point, but at my first time out at the track I ran 119.4MPH with mild breathing mods, and the calculator figures that as having 500RWHP, as opposed to my real dyno numbers below.

-Dean.

Supra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually I came up with 478 HP at the crank for that trapspeed and a weight of 3600 pounds so if anything it seems a bit low which is not unusual as it is hard to use 100% of the HP the car makes.

John Myrick,

Can you give us a ballpark on how much it all cost to get that performance out of the SRT-10 Viper?

Supra,

I see your point, but at my first time out at the track I ran 119.4MPH with mild breathing mods, and the calculator figures that as having 500RWHP, as opposed to my real dyno numbers below.

-Dean.

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually Supra - the DLM calculator IS rwhp go look at the site - it states it in the heading and in the fine print just in case we were confused.

I didn't need a calculator to determine that 587rwhp will not move 3550lb to 133.5mph in 1/4 mile - experience shows that will not happen. The car either weighs around 3150lb as raced with fuel and driver or at an est. stock race weight of 3550lbs it put down an est. 659, 660 or 673rwhp - on 3 independent calculators which verifies the DLM one - then i checked a crank HP calculator and it said 783hp, another said 801hp.

In case it is not clear - that SRT10 made around 780hp at the motor to turn 133.5mph... that's a bucket load of power for heads, hyd. cam, and exhaust plus a little extra stroke.

John Myrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Torquemonster,

Don't get so caught up in this rwhp / mph / et calculation. These calculations are typically based on fitting existing data to a simple equation for quick and dirty estimation. In the absence of real, measurable numbers, these calculations are sometimes the only thing you have.

These type of calculations are based on many assumptions. The biggest one is the shape of the horsepower curve. You must have seen this many times before, but I'll repeat it here. It is not the peak horsepower number that defines a vehicles performance. It a nut shell, it is the area under the curve that defines the performance. This is first year calculus, involving integration over time. What is throwing your generic calculations off is the uncharacteristically flat horsepower curve at the upper rpms. Take a look at the dyno graph. If this curve had the typical continuous rise in horsepower to the peak, all of the values below 6000 rpm would be significantly less. But they are not, if this package had the typical "hot rod" power curve, the peak power looks like it would have been somewhere around 650 rwhp. Try it yourself. Print the dyno curve and redraw the horsepower curve from 5000 rpm to 6000 rpm to look like a typical "tuned" engine curve. I suspect this may be the ultimate potential of this package once the high rpm restriction is identified and resolved.

I wish I could tell you the weight of the car and driver, but we did not put the car on the scales. What I can tell you is that the car should be the same as any other SRT-10. The car has the trunk carpet in it and it had a full tank of fuel (our mistake, but we thought that we would have time to burn up most of the fuel before the dragstrip testing).

John Myrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can check the web site for pricing. My car is the first SRT-10 package and there was a little learning experience for his guys. My cost would not be a good reflection of what it would cost to duplicate this package and I suspect that he would prefer that his customers pricing details be kept somewhat confidential. That’s a strange concept, but it seems like that’s how a lot of these tuners like to do business. I just checked his web site. I think my car is representative of the 650R package with a retail price of $34,500. If that number is in the ballpark of what you may be willing to pay for the modifications, do not assume that the price is non negotiable. I highly suspect that he would rather make the sale at a reduced profit rather than loose your business to another tuner based on price.

Check out the current issue (October) of Car & Driver magazine for a story on the car when it was just a heads and cam car. The car is now a “stroker motor” and the latest tests should be out in the December or January issue of MotorTrend.

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi John

Your car makes as much power at 3000rpm as many of the supercharged cars - it does have a lot of area under the curve as you say!

It must be a blast to drive for an all motor SRT10! 0-60mph in the high 2's is not bad bragging rights either :D There's not many can claim that!

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Note the 0-60 at a drag strip misses the first 6 to 12 inches, depending on how deeply staged. That amount can be .3 to .5 second. Still impressive, but not directly comparable.

Supra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Torque that calculator has ALWAYS calculated crank HP but many people confuse it and say it's RWHP and tuners say it's RWHP because when one of their cars runs a given MPH then it gives them an "inflated" # that makes the tuner look better. I'm not implying all tuners (including DLM) do this.

Look at the #'s I posted from the same calculator, dead on the money.

Actually Supra - the DLM calculator IS rwhp go look at the site - it states it in the heading and in the fine print just in case we were confused.

I didn't need a calculator to determine that 587rwhp will not move 3550lb to 133.5mph in 1/4 mile - experience shows that will not happen. The car either weighs around 3150lb as raced with fuel and driver or at an est. stock race weight of 3550lbs it put down an est. 659, 660 or 673rwhp - on 3 independent calculators which verifies the DLM one - then i checked a crank HP calculator and it said 783hp, another said 801hp.

In case it is not clear - that SRT10 made around 780hp at the motor to turn 133.5mph... that's a bucket load of power for heads, hyd. cam, and exhaust plus a little extra stroke.

GARY J

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ron,
I think you are talking about the 60 foot time. They are talking about 0-60mph.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
But how is the 0-60 measured? If it starts by the laser beam at the start line then the stage depth comes into play. How else would they measure 0-60? By a 5th wheel? On board electronics (accelerometer)? GPS? The method matters as the time for the first 12 inches is considerable.

John Myrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ron,

You mentioned rollout making the times not directly comparable...

FYI All of the numbers presented above related to my car are from the magazines radar based data acquisition system and not from the drag strip timing system. Therefore, I would think that they are comparable with other magazine reported numbers.

Another FYI... This data acquisition system included a 12" rollout to similate drag strip performance. I do not have the data in front of me, but the numbers from the data acqusition system were very close to the numbers from the drag stip timing equipment. By very close, I think the differences were in the 0.0x second range.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Note the 0-60 at a drag strip misses the first 6 to 12 inches, depending on how deeply staged. That amount can be .3 to .5 second. Still impressive, but not directly comparable.

.3 to .5 is way to much for variance in the sixty foot time due to rollout. That much time would only be caused by a very tall tire or a very slow car.

FYI....Rollout is measured from the time the tires start to move until the tire moves out of the starting line beam. Rollout may also be measured in inches for other calculations.

On another note...my 600 rwhp "AT BEST" has run a 137 mph and a 138 mph. Don't know how or why, I just know the clocks were accurate for everyone else. That is why I won't call bs on anyone elses et's or mph's.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
John, that may help understand the speed as well. Data acquisition systems typically take the speed at the 1/4 point and not the average over the last 60', or whatever the dragstrips do. With mine that adds about 4 mph.

Using 12" rollout in the 0-60 times would be worth around .4 to .5 second. I wonder if they used rollout for the 0-60 portion of the data. My data acquisition equipment includes rollout only for the 1/4 mile info, not for the 0-60 time. If a car mag was doing this I would assume they would be doing it consistent with other tests that they do, which I believe does not include rollout. If so the 2.99 0-60 time is incredible.

I will use the horsepower/torque curves shown and calculate the 1/4 mile performance this weekend to see how the stated RWHP correlates with the mph and time. Should be interesting.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1Tony - I measure rollout times when I go to the dragstrip. Most are around .4 second for a deep (12") stage. This is with street tires. I am sure you can do things to reduce it but since it does not count in the 1/4 mile stats, it is not critical. I also always stage as deep as possible so the real rollout should be close.

GARY J

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whatever equipment they used to time the venom's 0-60 is probably the same equipment they use to get all of their other 0-60 data so 2.99 0-60 is still 1 second ahead of the 3.9 (or whatever it is) 0-60 they got from a stock srt. If their eqiupment doesn't take into account the rollout time what equipment does? Just won dering since I clearly have no experience in this field.

Supra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Using the calculator based on your 138 MPH trapspeed and 3550 pound weight for the car the calculator says your car makes ~728 HP which is ~618 RWHP, very close to your actual 600 RWHP you quoted. The calculator works pretty darn well.

.3 to .5 is way to much for variance in the sixty foot time due to rollout. That much time would only be caused by a very tall tire or a very slow car.

FYI....Rollout is measured from the time the tires start to move until the tire moves out of the starting line beam. Rollout may also be measured in inches for other calculations.

On another note...my 600 rwhp "AT BEST" has run a 137 mph and a 138 mph. Don't know how or why, I just know the clocks were accurate for everyone else. That is why I won't call bs on anyone elses et's or mph's.

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
John Myrick,

-Dean.

I was browsing the RSI web site......

650 package is $26,000.

or you can buy their 750 stroker package for $34,900

or if you want to go the supercharged route, they also offer a S/C 750 for only $19,900

They are starting on a TT SRT too.

Lots of options out there from reputable Tuners.

RSI's web page

Jerome Sparich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why were you stating prices for RSI? Last I looked the car was done by [*****].

Dyno numbers from today as per David Weaver

SRT650 596.9 589.0

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why were you stating prices for RSI?

Because the tuner this particular thread is about, or those that sell for him, are not allowed ot promote his products on the VCA site.... Since RSI (one among many other reputable tuners.. TNT, DC Motorsports, Vipers by Elite all come to mind) sells packages that put out more power for less money, that's how I chose to answer the question "How much does it cost to get this much horsepower"

9secRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If anybody needs any info out of you Jay they will ask for it. Some of us viper owners get sick and tired or reading your posts that deal nothing with the thread at hand. Just because you dont like the guy that put this car together is not a reason for you to act like a ****. Grow up and get a life.....

I know you will take this post off but at least I said my two cents....

Mark H.

Jerome Sparich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why were you stating prices for RSI?

Because the tuner this particular thread is about, or those that sell for him, are not allowed ot promote his products on the VCA site.... Since RSI (one among many other reputable tuners.. TNT, DC Motorsports, Vipers by Elite all come to mind) sells packages that put out more power for less money, that's how I chose to answer the question "How much does it cost to get this much horsepower"

First let me say congrats to John Myrick and JH for an awesome car.

On to the reply, If they wanted to know about RSI they would have asked. They did not. Just yet another reason to come over to "The Dark Side" at the Alley. Where people can talk and ask anything they like, and even have the person the question is directed to answer said question.

And if this person is such a "no no" to talk about here why was this thread not nuked? I am sure the owner of the car (John Myrick) would have really liked that.

You know what they say, "If you have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all".

I guess I have nothing else to say to you at this time. Good night......

John Myrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jay,

I fully understand your point, but I think you should not distort the truth on the package prices. I suspect that this was just a minor slip due to lack of knowledge pertaining to the work performed on my SRT-10. I followed your link to a beautiful, but annoyingly slow, web site and did a little comparison.

You should edit your last post. Your statement:

"... packages that put out more power for less money..."

I don't think this is true. A more accurate statement may be:

"... packages that put out similar power for similar money..."

I looked at their web site and read the package descriptions. Their 700 package has the same description of my previous package (with the exception of floor mats and spark plug wires) that is in the current issue of Car & Driver. Their web site lists the price at $26,900. Car & Driver lists my old package as $19,500.

My current package is a stroker motor. I guess that is comparable to their 750 package that retails for $34,900. I think my package retails for $34,500.

I suspect that either one of these tuners would gladly match the others pricing if needed.

cratica

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I completely agree with Jay and his attempt to steer people to REPUTABLE tuners.

I don't care if some person of low character offers 1500hp for $100.00. If the guy is known to be a thief among many other things, I would not give him a penny.

I cannot believe so many turn "towards the dark side". This is why our country is on a downhill slide.

This really stinks people.

Jerome Sparich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It seems that someone can not be talked about here unless he is being bashed. I have not seen one post about the "wrongs" that he has and is "righting". And there has been more "rights" lately then anyone here knows about.

So I guess if people are going to fling s**t, expect to be splattered by some of it.

Post the good and the bad, not just the bad.

And I am not taking sides, just saying how it is.

Your money, your car, you do the research. You decide what to do......seems some have and are happy with their choice.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4