Very bad day with the Viper - Blew out the back end or drive shaft!!!

kenvw

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well this is not a good post for those with the new Viper unless if my experience with my car is a freak accident. The events are as follows:
The car has 650 miles on it and I was coming home from a nice drive out because the weather was great for a top down stroll in the park. Naturally the car gets a lot of attention as onlookers are giving thumbs up and the occasional yell to rip the tires. I had come to a red light and was turning to the left and there in the opposite lane was a band of hotrod bikes waiting for their light to turn green. As I passed in front of them they throttled their bikes taunting me to burn some rubber. It was my desire to accommodate their masculinity and therefore proceeded to put on a show that they would remember. However that was not the case!! I was rolling at about 10 mph going through the light and pushed the clutch in, rev the engine, pop the clutch and then it happened the car made a horrendous sound. It sounded like the whole back end falling off and imploding. The car came to a grinding halt and there I stood the back end sounding like it was still rattling, with oil pouring out he middle of the car to the back end making a huge puddle beneath the car. Now there I was sitting in the middle of the road holding up traffic. I quickly jumped out put the car in neutral and attempted to push the car out of the way but no such luck it wouldn't even budge. To my delight the guys on the bikes immediantly turn up my lane to help me out they had heard the awful noise and saw the back right tire spin backwards. They knew that the back end was coming undone. I mean these guys were great and started to direct traffic and called a tow truck. They also tried to help me move the car but we were unsuccessful moving the car forward. We finally got the car to roll backwards after rocking the car back and forth it seem to grind and grunt as we pushed it back but finally we did move it out of the way of traffic. This took about 5 minutes. Those that were in the traffic hold didn't seem too pleased. I even had a few peolpe laugh at me and boo the car. Talk about embarassing this was not a good Viper moment!! Tow truck came and we had to slide the car onto the platform using his winch because the car would not roll forward. Dropped it off at he closest dealership were it will stay until I get word what DC wants to do with this car. Needless to say I was extremely disappointed and totally humiliated by the car. Again I cannot express my thankfulness to those biker fellows (about 6 of them) they were definetly cool about helping me out and sticking by me for those 15 minutes before the tow truck arrived. Believe me this situation sucked and I am pissed about the car breaking down in this kind of situation because it was not even getting close to tasking this car out as it should easily be able to handle what I gave it. DC I WANT YOUR HELP TO GET THIS RIGHT PLEASE ASAP.
Vin # 1B3JR65Z73V500704
Ken

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is freaky and it's not Aprli 1st.

Seriously that ***** and I do that all the time in my Gen II from all different speeds.

I will be curious to hear what the problem was and how it is resolved. This was an SRT-10, right?

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like you broke the ring and pinion, curious.

Did you experience any abnormal amount of rear end noise? Was their fluid on the ground where it broke?

FASTRNU

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hate to ask this, but you said the bikers saw one of the rear tires spinning backwards. Did you accidently shift into reverse?

I'm so sorry. Hoefully you'll be back on the road soon! :)

Firewater

Enthusiast
Reaction score
J SMITH: the VIN shows it being an SRT....

That ***** man, I feel bad for you. I hope that you have better luck in the future. Keep us posted on what happened and what DC is going to do about it.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Didn't something very similar happen to one of Dodge's SRTs at the drag strip prior to VOI? Doesn't sound very good to me. All the hoopla about the new viscous coupled diff and all...

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And it's not like a roadway is a very grippy surface. WEAK.

I dunno if it's good to say that it broke when you were trying to launch. I know that we all expect a car to put up with that but wouldn't it just give DC an easy way out if they called "abuse"?

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And it's not like a roadway is a very grippy surface. WEAK.

I dunno if it's good to say that it broke when you were trying to launch. I know that we all expect a car to put up with that but wouldn't it just give DC an easy way out if they called "abuse"?

Good point and as your attorney I advise you not to comment any further as DC may use this against you (OK so I am not an attorney). You know Vipers aren't meant to be driven that way. LOL!

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd just hate for chrysler to go subaru on these cars.

subaru was giving out a 1 year SCCA membership with the purchase of a new WRX. Then if you ever made a warranty claim they would see if your SCCA membership # was ever used at an event and they would void it.

unbeleiveable!

I'd just hate to see Chrysler use this post as grounds to get out of repairing the car.

Russ Oasis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chrysler is NOT going to go Subaru. They have been really great about warranty, both with the street cars and the racers. They know that these cars are going to get a little abuse. Hopefully, you did not slam it into reverse by mistake. If that happened, you would understand why they would not want to shoulder the problem (although, my experience is that they'd probably still help you out).

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I even had a few peolpe laugh at me and boo the car.

Gosh, that's a really, really, REALLY awful thing that happened to your Viper. Sorry to hear that, Ken.
What @$$ holes. Laughing and booing. Sick people, taking pleasure in another's misfortune. Such evil. May they suffer for their dark hearts.

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
K

kenvw

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: Very bad day with the Viper - Blew out the back end or drive shaft!!!

I know the questions for me are inquisitive and kind but please guys I was driving forward at 10mph in FIRST gear then all I did was engage the clutch, rev the engine and then pop the clutch. BTW the rev was probably no higher than 4000 rpm. If DC would consider this to be abusive they better quit building these cars. There was a lot of rear end noise when this happened and a puddle of oil was underneath the car closer to the middle of the frame. I was thinking that the grip of the road and these new tires were so strong that the differential, drive shaft or whatever could not handle the torque of the car with the resistance of the tires against the grippy pavement. I see there is another post about the differential going bad in someone elses car around the 700 mile mark. Believe me this is very discouraging as not only do I have this problem but my car seems to be slated for the valve problem also.

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sick people, taking pleasure in another's misfortune. Such evil. May they suffer for their dark hearts.

They already do suffer --- they aren't driving a Viper, right?
Hmmm .... Anyone for a bumper sticker: "I'd rather push a Viper than drive a Corvette"

Hah-hah-hah. Now that's a good one! *grin*

OP
OP
K

kenvw

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I don't know about that bumper sticker - First I couldn't push the car because it was locked up and being the cause of peoples laughs and frustration because of the traffic backup was no fun. I think if a had a Corvette at that moment I would have jump in and "gotten the heck out of Dodge" pun intended.
Well, fortunately there was no Corvette available and I am sitting at home waiting for my baby hoping that DC will put me back together again.

FASTRNU

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm sure I'll LOVE my Viper, but I have also LOVED my Corvettes.

As a group I read more anti-Corvette sentiment from Viper owners than I read anti-Viper sentiment from Corvette owners.

Too bad, as they are both great cars.

Lots of Viper owners started out with Corvette.

I like them both.
Dave

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

As a group I read more anti-Corvette sentiment from Viper owners than I read anti-Viper sentiment from Corvette owners.
I like them both.
Dave

Though there are those out there that feel true vehemence, most just have fun with it.
Admit it, it's much more fun to chose a side, rallying with your fellow brothers against the "enemy!" *grin*

FASTRNU

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yeah, I guess, kind of like those Calvin stickers you see on pickups showing him urinating on a Ford or Chevy.
Dave

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score

SORRY about your trouble, Ken...Freedom Dodge in Lexington should be able to get you back in action promptly !!!

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Isn't the drivetrain of the SRT basicly the same as the Competition Coupe? I'd hardly consider that "abuse" ,especially compared to what a Comp Coupe is put through.

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
does the comp coupe come with a warranty?

I know it is supposed to withstand that I agree, it would be mental of DC to dismiss a claim on those grounds. I'm just sayin.

George Murray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One tire spinning backwards when the car is pushed forward...yeah that can happen if the guts of the differential are busted all to hell.

That's not abuse. That's just a bad apple in the pail. DC will fix that.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
GTS Dean- YES!!! the same thing did happen to an SRT at VOI7 on the DragStrip! I saw it first hand, got it on Video, and talked to the guys looking at it after it happened. the Dodge guys denied it happened when I talked to them, but I just walked over and had a talk with the guy looking at it... it lost the whole rear end!

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I like them both.
Dave

Well said. Having said that I will hold back my snide comments and say I am really sorry to hear about your problem. Definetly *****. Your lucky it is not a vette because as soon as they heard about you launch your warranty would be history.

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
GTS Dean- YES!!! the same thing did happen to an SRT at VOI7 on the DragStrip! I saw it first hand, got it on Video, and talked to the guys looking at it after it happened. the Dodge guys denied it happened when I talked to them, but I just walked over and had a talk with the guy looking at it... it lost the whole rear end!

LOL...the Dodge guys must have taken public manipulation classes from the Iraqi Information Minister! :eek: :usa:

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It has a reverse lockout. Even if you COULD put it into reverse at speed, it would just grind the [******] out of it and you wouldn't be able to get it into gear.

Since the rear wheels spun the oposite direction, thats a faliure in the diferential. Think about it... all the rotating mass in one direction isn't going to suddenly stop and spin the other way on it's own, the gearing in the diff would have to suddently change direction without slowing down first (impossible). so even if torque in the oposite direction could be applied, the differential would be fighting the driveshaft and it would have blown the U-joints out completely!!! But, like I said.. not possible to instantly stop rotating mass like that.

MM