very fortunate today

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ran the car for the last time before storage. Got stopped by the state police doing well over 100. Thought for sure i was going to jail. The guy gave me a break, and i already ordered my detector.

Lespauldude

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Christmas came early for you for sure. What state are you located in? I had my snake out today for the first time in about 3 weeks. I'm dealing with what appears to be
a torn/f'ed-up rotator cuff in my right arm (shift arm). Just got my Battery Tender and can't bring myself to tuck her in for the Winter just yet, even thought the pain from using my right arm
is SCREAMING for me to do so! Man, I'd LOVE to move down to Florida or SOCAL........................

OP
OP
W

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Christmas came early for you for sure. What state are you located in? I had my snake out today for the first time in about 3 weeks. I'm dealing with what appears to be
a torn/f'ed-up rotator cuff in my right arm (shift arm). Just got my Battery Tender and can't bring myself to tuck her in for the Winter just yet, even thought the pain from using my right arm
is SCREAMING for me to do so! Man, I'd LOVE to move down to Florida or SOCAL........................
Illinois, and the state troopers rarely if ever give breaks. I thanked him more then once. Good guy. He didn't even run the plates, he basically explained how serious this coild of been, then proceeded to hand me my license back and took off. Lets just say i crawled home from there lol

PAvenomRT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck,
Oh Really? Although he got off, I think telling most cops that 100 mph is not unreasonable would guarrantee a ticket! Save it for the track.
PAVenomRT/10

Reaction score
I have benefited from similar generosity, and can also tell you that the detector will give a false sense of security especially if you get caught by a plane sting... Everyone gooses it now and again, but the track is the only way to feel free ;-)

OP
OP
W

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Beltronics rx45. I already have a V1 in my other car. Figured i would try a different brand out. The V1 is pretty hard to beat.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Im glad to see a 'reasonable cop' thread....and a STATE Cop at that. There are MORE than we get to read about. Your attitude must have been 100% perfect.

Make it a Valentine One..... the ARROWS are the key...

ZYellow01RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Come to think of it, I've hit 100 (or more) every time I've taken it out.

I've been very lucky so far...

Thanks for the wake up call!

Sonoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Speed limits are cultural and have no real connection with right or wrong. After spending a few weeks in Southern Germany my whole perspective on speed limits changed forever. Of course, going slower will generally lower risk factors, but what is a "safe" speed in a Yugo is somewhat different from more capable cars. Yet the limit is the same for all. In light traffic/daylight on an open highway, how unsafe are you at 85 in a Viper? Largest risk is likely an animal strike.

dodgefever

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im glad to see a 'reasonable cop' thread....and a STATE Cop at that. There are MORE than we get to read about. Your attitude must have been 100% perfect.

Make it a Valentine One..... the ARROWS are the key...

+1, my V1 earned its money just this past weekend. It warned me of a state trooper 3 miles before I got to him. It was a very straight and flat area and he was using instant on, but the V1 got him.

F

FrgMstr

There are a lot of good cops out there, you just have to approach the situation and understand it from the cop's perspective.

A traffic stop is THE MOST dangerous situation for a peace officer. More cops killed on traffic stops than anything else in their profession.

Here are a few tips that will help put the approaching officer at ease and very likely impact his decision making while standing by your rear corner panel.

1. Pull over immediately to the side of the road. If he does not like where you stopped, he will get on his PA or signal for you to move to an area he feels is safer.

2. Turn the wheels full lock to the right if on the right side of the road. To the left for the left side of the road.

3. Turn the car off, put the keys on the dash, leave it in gear, set the emergency brake, turn off the radio.

4. Roll down the windows and turn the interior lights on.

5. Put your hands on the steering wheel at the 11 and 1 positions crossed over at the wrist.

6. When he approaches the car and asks you for documentation, explain where it is and ask him if you may retrieve it telling him which hand to retrieve it.

7. One you dig out the documents put your hands back on the steering wheel at 11 and 1.

8. Preferably don't be a dick and answer "yes sir" and "no sir."

If you follow these steps, what you have likely done is just put a fellow human being at ease while he is doing something more dangerous than most of us will do in our lifetimes or at least with any regularity. And a person not worrying about being shot or run over is usually a lot easier to deal with when it comes to leniency.

Last edited by a moderator: