Viper being sold...NOT by choice. But, Ill be back.

Cobraken

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You could sue your sister in law. She is not entitled to something for nothing. If you made the payments and had possession of the car you probably had an implied contract.

shine

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This post makes no sense to me though. What's it in reference to?

A post I made that I later edited. I said that the 1980 probably meant his birth year, meaning he was 22.

I was off, by a decade.

I plead ignorance, I wasn't aware it was 2012 already.

2006red/whitecoupe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Having bought a 428 Mustang my senior year in high school I did it with a car loan for about 2/3 the purchase price and the monthly payment pretty much took all I could earn....having said that the circumstances you describe in my view is no way to purchase a very expensive toy today. If you couldn't get the loan w/o her signature then maybe that was a yellow light flashing that this is not a good purchase. Good luck in the future and hope you can return to the Viper club.

iownedu

Viper Owner
Reaction score
She is probably the one getting screwed. If you only made the minimum payments there is a huge chance the outstanding loan balance is more than the car is worth. You basically got to lease the car and avoid the depreciation loss

Longdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You could sue your sister in law. She is not entitled to something for nothing. If you made the payments and had possession of the car you probably had an implied contract.

forget dr. Phil, this is Judge Judy material.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm OK with cutting ol' Jimbo a break. He extended himself but at least he didn't walk away from his obligation. He realized a dream that some never do so Live and Learn and Live and Let Live... Tis better to have loved and lost then never to have loved at all when it comes to a Viper... What doesn't kill you makes you stronger...

I'm just a virtual cliche machine today:lmao:

Hope the stars align and you get another some day...

OP
OP
J

Jimbos1980

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm OK with cutting ol' Jimbo a break. He extended himself but at least he didn't walk away from his obligation. He realized a dream that some never do so Live and Learn and Live and Let Live... Tis better to have loved and lost then never to have loved at all when it comes to a Viper... What doesn't kill you makes you stronger...

I'm just a virtual cliche machine today:lmao:

Hope the stars align and you get another some day...

Thanks V10,

We've already moved past this and will have OURS by next summer/fall. Owning a Viper has always been a dream of mine. Its never been nor will it ever be a status thing. Just love the car. Always have. Always will.

Last edited:

RPHJR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
often times forgoing some of our bills.

OP clearly doesnt get it. And hey, maybe I don't either, being just a dead beat who didnt go to college.

This I can tell you. I have 2 vipers in my garage, both paid for, and in my name. I own a home and have never missed a payment or paid late (and not upside down, doing a short sale or foreclosure). And if I got fired tomorrow(which would be tough because I'm self employed). first things Id do, is take a 2-3 week vacation with my family with a smile on my face. Without "forgoing" any bills.

We all have slow times. I've went 8-10 months at a time with no income. ZERO..., nothing, nada.... Before you buy a viper, you should have several YEARS of emergency income set aside. anyway. hope it all works out. This generation is scray, I'll tell you that.

Last edited:

Longdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i know it's wrong, but I cannot stop myself from coming back and refreshing this for "updates"

351carlo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OP clearly doesnt get it. And hey, maybe I don't either, being just a dead beat who didnt go to college.

It's unfortunate, but I agree.

Nope. Put significant $$ down.

Out of reach?? Not likely. We put 10% down on the vehicle, made every payment ON TIME often times forgoing some of our bills after my wife and I both lost our jobs. and paid the insurance. Not anywhere near out of reach. We made it happen.

10% isn't significant. 30% might be close to significant.

Sorry to see this happen, but I can't think of any situation where I'd want a loan taken out in someone's name that I'm paying for. I'm not sure what the purpose was, I mean were you going to pay the car off and have the title transferred into your name as a gift? It just doesn't make sense.

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
These situations seem to never work out. I don't think airing this out on the forum in detail is a good idea.

I think Rob was on to something way back at the beginning of this thread. :rolleyes:
Good luck to you guys and on your next viper. Hopefully you'll be on here longer next time.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"I'm not sure what the purpose was, I mean were you going to pay the car off and have the title transferred into your name as a gift? It just doesn't make sense."

Carlo makes a damn good point here (without bashing anyone) that I'm surprised hadn't already been brought up.

You would have paid off a car in her name and then when she signed the title over to you (if she didn't decide to just keep it, since it's in her name anyway), it would be considered a "gift" and you'd owe a boatload of taxes on it.

Silver04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i know it's wrong, but I cannot stop myself from coming back and refreshing this for "updates"

I am SO GLAD that I am not the only one that feels this way...it's the first thread I wanted to subscribe to even though I had not commented until now...what is wrong with me???

Good Luck Jimbo and please keep us posted.

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Good luck Jimbo but I'd have to admit that's a first for me. Using someone else's credit to purchase a non-necessity (basic transportation to get to/from work or school maybe - Viper, definitely not) is not wise. Funny story..... a few years ago a friend asked me to accompany her to purchase a vehicle. After spending the entire day trying to find the right one, once she did, she revealed to the salesperson her trade was in her mother's name. She got about a minute long blank stare from the both of us.