Viper Days at VIR????

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Henry Cone came in first Sunday in the inverted VRL race. Not sure what he finished Saturday - third maybe?

Ray Moore ran an unbelievable 2:11 in Prep and took first, his son took second with a 2:12.

Your's truly took second in Super Mod with a 2:15.

I'm dead tired. Goodnight.

Pictureman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's a few photos. I think I took the most pictures of anyone there.

584258.jpg

584277.jpg

5842341.jpg

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Henry Cone came in first Sunday in the inverted VRL race. Not sure what he finished Saturday - third maybe?

Ray Moore ran an unbelievable 2:11 in Prep and took first, his son took second with a 2:12.

Your's truly took second in Super Mod with a 2:15.

I'm dead tired. Goodnight.

Henry Pulled 2nd on Saturday, with Kenny Hawkins getting 1st that day.

Then on Sunday, Henry showed he had no equal that day by pulling so far ahead of everyone at the end, that it seemed he was on cruise control.

Congrats Henry Cone and Kenny Hawkins.

Jon

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK - we're back. Exhausted, but back. The heat over the weekend was VERY draining. But, I won't complain too much, as we didn't have any rain.

Friday's practice was busy as usual. The 1/2 hour off, 1/2 hour on schedule leaves little time for chitchat. Our tires were pretty well spent from the beating Henry gave them at GingerMan, so our times were a bit off. Last run session, he and Jim Stout were playing a little cat and mouse and put down some low 2:01's. They continue to share data and make each other better drivers. (What a great part of Viper Days!)

Saturday morning brought clear skies and high temps. Morning practice was fairly fast, but the tires had fallen off. Henry was playing around in the high speed esses and had a pretty LARGE off, leaving most of his splitter strakes in the grass. The 2 that made it back to the pits were held on by one rivet.... After a bit of a mad scramble and with the help of Don McDaniel (original owner of the #93...) We reattached the 2 strakes, threw on new tires and grabbed ice for the cool suit and made it to the grid for qualifying. Qualifying was NOT split, due to the length of the track there should have been plenty of room. However, since everyone didn't make the qualifying grid on time, cars were released so that getting a clean lap was difficult.

Henry came in after about 4 laps, we checked tires pressures and temps and although his quaifying time was good, we went back out. It asn't necessary though - as his 4th lap was his best.

Times came back - and although we didn't break the 2:00 mark (2:00:300 - damn), we were good enough for the pole. Over lunch, we took an extended golf cart trip out to rescue the 4 missing strakes. At $695 a set, they are too valuable to be planted in the infield at VIR. 3.27 miles later and being pushed by the lunchtime low speed drivearounds... we returned to the pits with our bounty.

Race time came and it was HOT. 12 laps. A late green stacked everyone up in turn 1, and a spin by the #24 if Chris Hawkins made for some excitement for those later in the field. Knowing Kenny Hawkins was FAST - only .17 seconds slower in qualifying, and wanting to be up front, Kenny made his move in lap 2, passing Henry and never looking back. Henry had enough pressure from behind from Jim Stout. For the first 10 laps, Jim put a tremendous amount of pressure on Henry, then finally, spun, leaving a little bit of breathing room for the final 2 laps. Jim still managed to pull off 3rd as they had gained a lead on the rest of the field.

Sunday brought more sun and higher temps - YIPPEE - not. At the drivers' meeting, the length of the Sunday race was discussed. Sunday's race inverts the grid - so the fastest qualifier starts LAST. So naturally, they wanted a slightly longer race to give themselves time to work through the field. The majority voted and the race was only going to be 15 laps due to the increased heat and humidity.

The race was delayed for 15 minutes or so and the VRL made announcements allowing the drivers to not have to wait inside the car. When the grid closed, they wasted no time in getting going on the pace lap. As always, Ed Robertson and Rhonda Johnson handled pace car duties brilliantly.

Joel Smith, General Manager from Hendrick Dodge - the weekend's presenting sponsor - waved a fairly early green flag allowing the field to sort out some before turn one. Turns 2, 3 and 4 further sorted things out so that the field was single file before turn 5. Henry followed Jim Stout for a couple of laps as they passed some slower cars. Then, on lap 5, Henry got a good run on Jim exiting the high speed esses and grabbed 4th. Then, at the end of the back straight, with Brett Pearson hot on the tail of Gary Lashinsky, Henry's alternate line at the top of the roller coaster allowed him to slingshot by Brett (I think before Brett even knew he was there) and almost get Gary. After the long front straight, Henry was able to overtake Gary under braking. Then, the only car that remained out front was Mike Dalsin, who, as a result of a poor qualifying attempt, had gridded 3rd in the inversion. Mike had built up quite a lead, but 3 laps later, Mike must have missed a shift coming out of Oak Tree because the video of the pass was extremely frightening as it was either crank the car around Mike, or end up in the driver's seat with him.

From lap 8 through 15, Henry managed to keep (figuratively) cool, deal with lap traffic, but never really had any pressure from the second place car of Mike Dalsin for the remainder of the race.

It was a great weekend of exciting racing.

Other notes:
Ed Budriss, in the ex-Sonny WHelen car made it's racing debut and Ed has been bitten! There's a lot to learn, but he'll come up to speed.

Tom Wilson of V-TEN racing in the ex-Henry Cone car completed his second event with excellent car control and qualifying times. He's getting the pre-race routine down and increasing his comfort level with the car's capabilities and will be running stronger every event.

John Freeman is BACK - after an incident at VIR that damaged the #65 and he had an EPIC battle with the Chris Hawkins #24. For 10 laps, Skip said that he thought that the #24 was "part of John's car's exhaust system" he was that close. John described it as "10 laps of hell". But he held up under pressure and came out ahead.

There's lots more - but my little brain is fried... I'l try to get some video clips of the abovementioned passed and get them out somewhere. Unfortunately, my video camera save clips in .ASF format and I don't have a way right now to convery to MPEG4. If anyone does have that kind of video editing software, and could help me out, I have lots of stuff to post and I could then get them on Google video for ALL to see - they don't have a file size limitation and the service is free......

Thanks! And see you all at Putnam Park!

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Way to go to the Conehead, as he is ripping it up really good this year. Oh Henry, you did great in the Flying Pumpkin, and that is one tricky track. You have to feel good beating Mr. Hawkins, as he has been the acknowledged King of VIR. Go ahead, you can pat yourself on the back, as that is a major accomplishment.

Nice write up from the Cone Crew Chief of N. Carolina,too !!

OP
OP
R

Rich Wesorick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now that's what I'm talking about!! Thanks for the great write-up Janni.

We're off to test at the Autobahn Country Club in Joliet, IL this weekend and we'll see you all at Putnam.

Rich

VPRGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Chuck, you'd be faster if you kept all 4 tires on the ground ;) Nice picture of la machine. Don't wash it, and definitely, don't paint it. You've had more fun than most with your car.

Our first time to VIR. Awesome track. It met and exceeded the hype it gets, what a great event.

It was good to see the Vettes out there. Met a few of them. Nice people with good equipment (most seemed modified to some extent and running slicks). They were good and very courteous drivers. I myself am glad that they are welcomed. We had a few fun sessions playing cat and mouse. Gotta love how those V8's sound with a good exhaust.

I set my time first thing Saturday morning, so I gave my son my slot in the white group so he could get a clearer track and I spent most of my time the rest of the weekend helping him and giving rides in the blue group. By the end of the weekend he had it to within a second of me with a 2:12.? Next year I'd like to bring some new rubber to the track to see if we can get it to stick a little better and see how low we can get it.

I couldn't be prouder of my son. He just turned 18 a week before the event. He is consistently finishing about a second from me ... how smart am I to bring that kind of competition to the track (and to give him a little coaching to boot)? The day will come when he will beat me. He is smooth as glass, and smooth is fast (quite remarkable for an 18 year old). Also, took my 16ish year old out in the car for some laps during lunch. Watch out prepared class, next year there could be three of us.

Yes, I am a very proud Dad.

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Chuck, why do you think I modded up to supermod?

3 Moore's, sheeesh!
Thank god they only have one car!

BLUESNAKE367

Enthusiast
Reaction score
John, So true........

I thought it would be rained out, Vabeach got slammed with rain, so I bailed, next year I will trailer the car to the track. probably bring the new coupe.

Any open track days left at VIR this year? maybe vette or porche days?

you did good last year, saw you race, how you do this year???

trumper Z06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:laugh: Hi Guys and Especially Courtney & Skip,

From ALL the Z06ers & other Vette drivers....

a BIG THANK YOU for allowing us to attend VIPER DAYS @ VIR.

For many of us... this was our 4th year at your event and each year it gets BIGGER & BETTER. Thanks for the kind words VPRGTS... we Z06ers look forward to running with your MIGHTY VIPERS !!!

Cya next year!!!

Trumper

NascarDave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
QUOTE "Watch out prepared class, next year there could be three of us."

Bring it on!!! I ain't scared...yet :smirk:

I didn't know you had your car back from RSI yet...I heard they were putting even higher compression pistons in than before. Sounds like decking the block and porting the heads is paying off.

Congrats to all!!!

DN

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn't know you had your car back from RSI yet...I heard they were putting even higher compression pistons in than before. Sounds like decking the block and porting the heads is paying off.

Watch it Dave, that's how rumors get started...or maybe it's truth? 2:11 "stock" on street tires is awfully difficult to believe. I would have liked to follow Racin' Ray past the oak tree just to see how much he pulled away on the straight, but he always avoided me. :)

Regardless, Ray is one helluva driver. The kid too. :2tu:

Trumper, good to see you Vette there. :) See you next year.

VPRGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Dave. Like there isn't enough speculation yet on what is in my car.

There was plenty of interest in my pit when we had the engine apart to replace a head at Mid America Raceway in Iowa. They all saw it then, just the way it came from the factory. A stock 421RWHP "creampuff" with a dyno sheet to prove it.

Stock engine, stock brakes and running Michelin Pilot Sports ... I feel your pain.

I did have to put a silencer on the Paxton hidden in the fascia though. Don't tell anyone.

lonestar

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another great Viper Days Event @ VIR. Thanks Skip and Courtney! It's so nice to run with the big motors in my luggage getter Z06. :eek: I ran a couple of 2:11's on Sunday chasing #49.

Pictureman, I look forward to my pictures.

Tomcat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am just glad I made it through the weekend. Thanks go out to Janni and Henry Cone. Great to see all the Vette guys who are a class act. Ray, great job buddy.

Tom

Skip at Viper Days

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes... it was a great event. Those who missed it missed a lot.
The races were great but the times turned in by the Michelin Challenge series was truely incredible!
Remember safety is the most important thing in running on the street or the track!
Hope to see you all at Putnam Park on Aug. 12, 13 & 14.

Skip

#54gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A superb event V.I.R is my favorite track just wished this event took place in October when its only 100 degrees and not 150:) the heat was taking the toll on everybody but looking at the times all improved from last year. Since I am in this class called Ray oh sorry prepared and had to fight for third I wasn't about to go down without a fight. I was in the 2:15's all Sunday long and just couldn't brake it, finally one before last white group session my lap timer was showing 2:13.88 I was so exited I yelled out load I think the corner worker herd me, 3 ed place was mine Bryan Austin did a 2:14.10 and it was mine mine mine well not so fast. Went to check the time on the board and what thaaa?2:15.6??? WHAT? the frustration kicked in big time, 2 sessions left for the day one green and one white. Determent and very hot I went out again with the green group to try again, Boy that was a mistake every lap I was catching someone, So I stayed out after this session was over and went out AGINE with the white for the next one. Not trusting my lap timer I sent my nephew up to the tower to look at the real times as I'm passing and told him to come down and black flag me as soon as I get a better time then Bryan. So last session of the day and I'm out with maybe 2 or 3 cars first lap warm up 2nd lap starting to rip it 2;16 2:15 2:15 and a 360 going off at turn 10 down hill backwards WOW you don't want to try that, then came the 2:14.44 OH 2:14?? YES!! so I run as hard as I can just to hit the checkered flag Last lap cool down I'm done, Disappointed and frustrated I drove to the pits and as I was climbing out of my car I see my nephew running with a big smile and his thumbs up "You did it you bit him" in disbelief I go to the official time board and see a 2:14.01 I bit Bryan by 0.1 second I couldn't believe that, I did it in the last lap of the weekend, I was so satisfied it felt like I won the class period, So to me it was one of the finest event of the season and I enjoyed every moment of it. It really feels good to fight for it and win by such a small margin (something Ray will never get ha ha). Good job there Bryan We'll get it on again in Putnam, Oh and I almost forgot the special thanks to "Burrito man" Ryan Rulo for Trying oh so very hard to bit me with sleeks on, so close but no cigar maybe next time. Glad you did make it to VIR bud.

Eyal ,

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ar Tee Ten