Viper Days Feb at Button Willow

NoRice

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I posted this on the so cal forum, but figuered I would get a better response here.

This looks very interesting to me. From reading the viperdays webpage it looks like I would need to add a hardtop or a rollbar to my SRT10. Is this correct? I would also need to run in the unlimited class due to my extensive motor upgrades, is there a big difference between the classes besides speeds? This would be my first time ever on a track, so I am thinking it may be better to go to a driving school where I can use their car before taking my car onto a track. Also I currently run drag radials and stock pilots, so I would assume I either change the rears to a stock pilots or change all 4 tires to sport cups? What tires are recommended? I put down approx. 800rwhp/720rwtq via a paxton.

Is there anything else recommended that I do to the car before tracking it?

0260in3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, sounds like you have a lot of power! For Viperdays you do need a roll bar or hardtop for convertibles but call Courtney at Viperdays because they usually have a spare or two that they'll loan you free or for a nominal charge. This is a great way to get your feet wet. As for tires, I would recommend that you go with the stock Pilots - they are pretty good on the track. Don't worry about what class (Stock, Modified, etc.) you're in because they group you by experience level. Since this is your first time you'll probably start in the Green (Beginner) run group. A run group will have Vipers from all different classes. Class is only important at the end of the year when they award trophies.

As for other things to know, make sure you have a full set of brake pads to start the weekend (but not EBC greens). Start with fresh brake fluid and bring some extra in case you need to bleed some out. Motul RBF 600 is awesome! You don't need a firesuit but you do need long pants and long sleeve shirt. Helmet needs to be at least SA '00. I've probably left somethng out but I'm sure others will chime in.

Have Fun!
Terry

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Buttonwillow is very technical. Take it easy and get an instuctor to go with you at first. If you are not running for points or bragging rights it won't matter that you're in unlimited.

I would run the stock Pilots since you are new.

DO NOT RUN THE DRAG RADIALS...PERIOD.

You are going to have to be careful with a blower car getting on the power to quick coming off the corners.

OP
OP
N

NoRice

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have stock pilot run flats on the front currently on my SSR's. Would it be better to run my 18" SSR's all around with a new set of pilots or is there a better tire I can get in 18's?

So its either a hardtop or rollbar. If I go rollbar, do I get to drive with the top down? :laugh:

How long is each session and do you think I will have overheating issues? I can currently sit in traffic and my temp never goes above 200. Even in my roll on races when I am really beating the hell out of it, it never goes over 200-205. But that is just for short bursts.

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
each session should be about 25 minutes. I'd be more worried about intake temps climbing on a blower car.

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have stock pilot run flats on the front currently on my SSR's. Would it be better to run my 18" SSR's all around with a new set of pilots or is there a better tire I can get in 18's?

So its either a hardtop or rollbar. If I go rollbar, do I get to drive with the top down? :laugh:

How long is each session and do you think I will have overheating issues? I can currently sit in traffic and my temp never goes above 200. Even in my roll on races when I am really beating the hell out of it, it never goes over 200-205. But that is just for short bursts.

Overheating will not be a problem, have Mr. Catwood show you the track. Pay It Forward Carl :D

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've only done BW once, ask Manny if he goes. Don't make the mistake of going in his car first and then yours.

I won't be at the Feb event but plan to the following month.

In Jan OTR has a Wednesday event at Willowsprings. I'm planning on going.

And 2 minutes is real tough with the new section that was added.

http://www.viperdays.com/results.htm?y=2006&e=28

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For your first time out I would suggest stock tires and wheels. Start in the green class. If it becomes too tame for you, you can easily get upgraded to blue.

Be sure to come early and listen seriously to the morning drivers meeting. Usually have a chalk talk for racers to learn the track and rules.

Before going out for the first time get an early morning ride around the track in a street car or van if available. Buttonwillow is a hoot to drive in a Viper.

With your supercharger you should be mindfull or track etiquite. Till you get the hang of the track, be sure to let faster cornering cars pass you on the straights. Since you have lots of extra hp, it is not uncommon to blast down the straights while holding others up in the corners.

First time out ask an instructor to drive with you to teach you the fast way around the track, and where you need to drive slow to be fast.

Do all your learning on Saturday, when the grids are full, and you can watch lots of other cars in front of you to learn the line.

Things thin out after lunch Sundays. That is the time to let it hang out a bit, and apply all the learning you do on Sat. It is amazing how much a driver can improve in just one weekend.

OP
OP
N

NoRice

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Should I get a regular alignment job done before going? Currently my car is aligned for straightline racing.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
lots of great advice from the guys here

always have an instructor, I do even in adv group, constantly learning
run the line the instructor shows you, don't follow people in front of you, they may be wrong
always look AHEAD, where you WANT to GO
smooth transitions, everything is SMOOTH, speed will come once you learn the line and the apex's
drink lots of water
get lots of rest the night before, you will be tired after the 1st day
get some 'hot laps' in with instructors, good to see what they do
attend all classes, you will learn a LOT

have fun and BE SAFE. that's a lotta power!

CCBrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone know if we are going to run the same track configuraton as the past two years? (#1 ccw). I have never ran the track but am familar with it...plus setup ahead of time. I have e-mailed Courtney but no response as of yet. Anyone???

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
call Buttonwillow. They will know what the plan is.

As far as an alignment. I wouldn't go to agressive as a beginner. I run a fair amount of camber and it shows in tire wear. Especially on the rears.

I'd say anything close to a stock alignment would be good with a slight toe out on the front. 1/16 of an inch

CCBrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Catwood, I called Buttonwillow and they do not know what the plan is as of the 28th. I will be running in VRL with my Comp Coupe so set-ups are critical. I appreciate the feedback...Thanks! Brian

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
well that's weird. They are the ones that told me last year when Courtney didn't know. I wonder if they will run both weekends the same.

CCBrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought the same thing...I mean we are only 30 days away...and time sneeks up on all of us. It would be nice if it were the same...I am terribly slow at doing set-ups!(lazy). Brian

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Courtney just replied to an email and said it's "probably the same as last year".

Hope that helps.

OTR is running on Jan 17th at Big Willow. (snow is forcasted the weekend before). Bring the snow tires and come on out and play for the day.

I won't be at Buttonwillow until the March event....bummer.

CCBrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Courtney e-mailed me and said #1 CCW, same as last year, and #1 clockwise in March.

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Should I get a regular alignment job done before going? Currently my car is aligned for straightline racing.

James contact me before getting an alignment, if I don't have a car by then Courtney will let me instuct you if I feel like making the trip.

CT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello CA Guys-

Courtney here!!! We will be running the same course as last year for the Feb event which is #1 with the bus stop, star mazda, lost hill counter clockwise. For our March event we will run it clockwise!!

If you have additional questions please feel free to call me at 847-594-8477 and ask for Courtney!

Hope to see you all at the track in early Feb!!

FYI....I am leaving for ourt first event at No Problem Raceway in New Orleans this Wed and will be back on the office ready for the BW event on Tuesday!!

Courtney Thomas
Viper Days, Inc.
www.viperdays.com

CT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello Everyone-

For the Viper Days event in March we will run config #13 clockwise.

Running the track Clockwise with the new section, bus stop, lost hill and the Sweeper. Config #13

To sign up for the event please sign up on the web site or email me at [email protected]

Courtney

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ar Tee Ten