Viper Days with an 08 ACR

Bugeater

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got back from the Viper Days event at Virginia International Raceway. Was a rather hot and humid affair, with temps at 92 on Friday through Sunday. I brought my 96 GTS that I normally would run with the VRL guys, but had my entire family there so I decided to put my passenger seat in and give fun runs the whole weekend. For reference, my car is an older GT-1 prepped car that was run by John Grieco on the west coast many years ago. I have upgraded to Stryker heads to stay competitive with some of the newer cars coming off the lots these days!

On the very first session of test-n-tune Friday I noticed an ominous black SRT coupe in front of me with a wing. It was hauling. I normally don’t get blessed with a “rabbit”, so instead of taking it easy and testing out my new brake setup (Dave’s big brakes in the rear, and some larger piston stoptech in the front) I decide to play chase. The black mystery coupe was laying waste to everything it approached, and I had a hell of a time staying on-bumper. Whatever it was it definitely walked me on the front and back straights. For 8 or so laps we played touch and go, and on the checker I pulled up beside and saw the ACR sticker. I thought so. Unbelievable car and driver.

I heard a rumor in the morning that there were 2 ACR’s coming to the track and 1 was “special”. The “special” variant had Jeff Mory port match the heads and add some other minor tweaks (like 2009 drive by wire logic) to enhance the car’s already stunning performance characteristics. This was done for the very special driver. Ralph Gilles. The Vice President of design studio 3, and chief designer of the Viper ACR. He is one heck of a racecar pilot, as he ran an SRT in 1-lap (but quickly made note that he wasn’t the one driving when it was wrecked!). Prior to the ACR he raced a red GTS.

For reference, he got to the track late Friday (towed it on an open trailer from Michigan), took it off and ran with the stock (soft settings) and turned a 2:09. (we both did). He managed to drop his time over the weekend with some setting changes to a best of 2:04!!!
I managed a best of 2:06. Those ******** put him in the unlimited class so I came home with second place and Ralph in 1st.

It is proven that this car with Hoosiers would run a 2 flat, or maybe even a 1:59. That my friends would win, or contend for podium, in the VRL race with the comp coupes.

The Driver – Ralph Gilles for those that don’t know has been working for Chrysler since 1992 straight out of college. You can thank GOD he is the one designing our fast cars, especially the ACR. Speaking with him and listening to him talk about design decisions behind this beast its obvious decisions were heavily influenced by function on-track, and compromises didn’t come cheap. He and the 7 engineers that gave us this car had a lot of autonomy. It probably helped that Ralph penned the 2005 car of the year. Don’t mess with success I guess. Did I say were lucky as ****?

He mentioned that the 2009 will not come with much significant changes over the 08. The “major” change would be the programming of the drive-by-wire logic. 99.9% of the drivers out there would not notice the differences he said, but the racers will. Rev matching will be “more exact” as well as throttle tip-in etc. I expect they are programming for the feel of a very light flywheel/clutch and how cable linkage reacts instantaneously with this type of hardware. Another point I found interesting is that he said he prefers a setup “less grounded” or planted in the rear. He likes it loose. I noticed when I was following him Sunday that the ACR’s assend was a lot more “skittish” so he obviously dialed that in. It obviously worked for him as his times dropped 5 fricken seconds. This was setup improvement, and not unfamiliarity with the track, as VIR is his favorite track to frequent, he mentioned.

So there you go guys and gals. Its one damn fine piece of machinery. I am jealous of Ralph, SoCal, Rocman and any other SOBs that have seat time. Its probably my next Viper. Guys still waiting, its worth the wait.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Ralph has also run the Targa Newfoundland, so he gets to run some fun events. As the designer of the Gen III/IV Coupe, alot of us are thankful to Ralph and his design skills. With the new Ram coming out, also in his bag of tricks ( he also penned the Chrysler 300 ) , Mr. Gilles has had his hand in the cookie jar of many of the delectable machines from the Pentastar.

You found out what many others have discovered also ---- he can put a design on many drivers at the track , also, ha!:2tu:

George Murray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
100% concur with everything Bugbuggerer wrote. We are fortunate to have Ralph behind these cars.

I ran in the same group as Bug & Ralph (I drove a little 1500 LB kit car instead of my Gen 2 ACR), and I experienced max wake turbulence when Ralph blew by in that '08 ACR. That guy can drive!!

I need to find a way to get in on oil market price manipulation so I can buy one of those Gen 4 ACRs...

BTW, Ralph is probably the only driver in our run group who didn't get one-finger waves from both windows of Bugbuggerer 's car. John truly is a naughty and nasty man.

Note: the Viper Days crew of Skip, Tracy, Courtney, and all others whose names I brain-farted on, put on an AWESOME event at VIR. Of the several events I attend each year at that track, theirs is without question top shelf and the most fun! My sincere thanks to them for a wonderful time.

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You didn't have an CC's running in the unlimited class at VIR? Too bad. Now, I read this quickly, but if you kept on his tail for 8 laps in a 96 GTS, then I assume that was before he got her dialed in...and dropped a nickel on you. ;)

alpine7822

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was there on Saturday for a while and saw Ralph on the track...it was amazing! I especially loved when he would fly past all the vettes there! I wish I could have hung out a little longer and watched as he kept working on the lap times. And you're right, it was hot out there - I can only imagine what it was like in those cars.

alpine7822

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also, that 2:04 is even more impressive as I was hanging out with some of the CCs that were racing. The best I saw from them was a 1:58, with some well over the 2:04 the ACR posted. So if he were to turn that into a true racecar I can only imagine what it would be like.

OP
OP
B

Bugeater

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ralph turned a 2:04, I turned a 2:06.

Ralph's ACR was on Pilot Cups. I was on Hoosiers.

Nuff said. I am in love.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Here is the view when chasing an ACR and a VCC from Dave Moore / Pocono
You must be registered for see images attach

Ralph also races vs. USAF JETS in his spare time.....with a Viper of course !

Last edited:

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I doubt you'll get 4 seconds by going to R6's (if that's the hoosier you're talking about) from MPSC. Those are some fast tires when you get them hot. That being said, I do think the car can run sub 2:00 in stock form.

And if it were gutted and turned into a race car. It would be all over.

BJ MOTORS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was a great weekend. The ACR is a incredible machine major Aero incredible down force, belanger header and exhaust setup and ******** let's go racing boys. Ralph my hat is off to you for a killer design and nice driving! Hot:firedev: we drove a 45 minute race and when it was all said and done, I lost 4 #'s of h2O and thought that I had been cooked like a turkey. I couldn't get out of the car fast enough. It was great having Ralph and Tom Francis attending the event, what a great group of guys.

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really enjoyed VIR this weekend. My wife pointed out Ralph's ACR and how fast it was. She was taking pictures and was having problems getting it unless it was coming toward us because it was so fast. She was able to get a few pictures which I have posted in my photo gallery. Look for VIR July 08. I got to meet Ralph and he was a really nice person. I have a couple of shots of Bernie too.

Last edited:

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really enjoyed VIR this weekend. My wife pointed out Ralph's ACR and how fast it was. She was taking pictures and was having problems getting it unless it was coming toward us because it was so fast. She was able to get a few pictures which I have posted in my photo gallery. Look for VIR July 08. I got to meet Ralph and he was a really nice person. I have a couple of shots of Bernie too.

Sorry to hijack but I couldn't resist, meanwhile same day but on the west coast here I am :D

You must be registered for see images

Bugeater pull the trigger :headbang:

OP
OP
B

Bugeater

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey SoCal, we could be related...or at least wear the same race suit :)

FYI - Ralph (first place winner and ACR pilot) is far right. The flag girl holding the trophy is my daughter. The other flag girl is Skip.

Freeman_Award.JPG

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

For reference, he got to the track late Friday (towed it on an open trailer from Michigan), took it off and ran with the stock (soft settings) and turned a 2:09.

The reason Ralph was late Friday was because he stayed at the hotel with me and my friend because he was having alarm issues with his 97' GTS. The remote fob died so we opened the door through the hatch which set off the alarm and wouldn't allow the car to stay cranked. Ralph was just about to leave when he saw us having probs and came over.
We each told Ralph to not worry about us b/c we knew he'd be late to the track. All he said was "I'm not leaving a Viper owner stranded. This is Viper Nation, no man left behind!" He stayed for at least 30-45 mins calling a Viper tech and using his tools to help until we got the problem solved :2tu: Neither of us knew who Ralph was at the time and without him, we would've been in a heck of a lot of trouble and missed a lot of track time, if not the whole weekend! I then rode with Ralph to the track and yeah...08' ACR's are as badass as people say they are!! :2tu::2tu::2tu::2tu::2tu:

Pics from the weekend are at:

http://forums.viperclub.org/general-viper-discussion/616229-pics-viper-days-vir.html

SCLSSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For those that don't know Ralph Gilles, he is not only a great designer, driver but he is a very nice guy. He is always willing to help out when ever he can and will go to great lengths to keep our nation happy with the toys he helps design. The New RAM he was driving was quite impressive, a couple people wanted to take his preproduction version home with them. I have known Ralph for four years and has been so nice and helpful to me personally and the Illinois region He jumped at the chance when I offered to let him drive my car. I won't mention what kind of time he put down in 007 but just let it be said I'm glad he wasn't racing with us. He can drive my car anytime.

The next Viper Days is at Putnam Park near Green Castle, IN. August 8th-10th. Come out and join the fun. You just might learn something.

cheryl mccally

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey so cal rebel, if you put that center section of your splitter in, you can go faster! Just leave it on all the time, you will never know the difference.

alpine7822

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it just me, or does Ralph look like Tiger Woods?

Hey SoCal, we could be related...or at least wear the same race suit :)

FYI - Ralph (first place winner and ACR pilot) is far right. The flag girl holding the trophy is my daughter. The other flag girl is Skip.

Freeman_Award.JPG

Dave Moore

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Just got back from the Viper Days event at Virginia International Raceway. Was a rather hot and humid affair, with temps at 92 on Friday through Sunday. I brought my 96 GTS that I normally would run with the VRL guys, but had my entire family there so I decided to put my passenger seat in and give fun runs the whole weekend. For reference, my car is an older GT-1 prepped car that was run by John Grieco on the west coast many years ago. I have upgraded to Stryker heads to stay competitive with some of the newer cars coming off the lots these days!

On the very first session of test-n-tune Friday I noticed an ominous black SRT coupe in front of me with a wing. It was hauling. I normally don’t get blessed with a “rabbit”, so instead of taking it easy and testing out my new brake setup (Dave’s big brakes in the rear, and some larger piston stoptech in the front) I decide to play chase. The black mystery coupe was laying waste to everything it approached, and I had a hell of a time staying on-bumper. Whatever it was it definitely walked me on the front and back straights. For 8 or so laps we played touch and go, and on the checker I pulled up beside and saw the ACR sticker. I thought so. Unbelievable car and driver.

I heard a rumor in the morning that there were 2 ACR’s coming to the track and 1 was “special”. The “special” variant had Jeff Mory port match the heads and add some other minor tweaks (like 2009 drive by wire logic) to enhance the car’s already stunning performance characteristics. This was done for the very special driver. Ralph Gilles. The Vice President of design studio 3, and chief designer of the Viper ACR. He is one heck of a racecar pilot, as he ran an SRT in 1-lap (but quickly made note that he wasn’t the one driving when it was wrecked!). Prior to the ACR he raced a red GTS.

For reference, he got to the track late Friday (towed it on an open trailer from Michigan), took it off and ran with the stock (soft settings) and turned a 2:09. (we both did). He managed to drop his time over the weekend with some setting changes to a best of 2:04!!!
I managed a best of 2:06. Those ******** put him in the unlimited class so I came home with second place and Ralph in 1st.

It is proven that this car with Hoosiers would run a 2 flat, or maybe even a 1:59. That my friends would win, or contend for podium, in the VRL race with the comp coupes.

The Driver – Ralph Gilles for those that don’t know has been working for Chrysler since 1992 straight out of college. You can thank GOD he is the one designing our fast cars, especially the ACR. Speaking with him and listening to him talk about design decisions behind this beast its obvious decisions were heavily influenced by function on-track, and compromises didn’t come cheap. He and the 7 engineers that gave us this car had a lot of autonomy. It probably helped that Ralph penned the 2005 car of the year. Don’t mess with success I guess. Did I say were lucky as ****?

He mentioned that the 2009 will not come with much significant changes over the 08. The “major” change would be the programming of the drive-by-wire logic. 99.9% of the drivers out there would not notice the differences he said, but the racers will. Rev matching will be “more exact” as well as throttle tip-in etc. I expect they are programming for the feel of a very light flywheel/clutch and how cable linkage reacts instantaneously with this type of hardware. Another point I found interesting is that he said he prefers a setup “less grounded” or planted in the rear. He likes it loose. I noticed when I was following him Sunday that the ACR’s assend was a lot more “skittish” so he obviously dialed that in. It obviously worked for him as his times dropped 5 fricken seconds. This was setup improvement, and not unfamiliarity with the track, as VIR is his favorite track to frequent, he mentioned.

So there you go guys and gals. Its one damn fine piece of machinery. I am jealous of Ralph, SoCal, Rocman and any other SOBs that have seat time. Its probably my next Viper. Guys still waiting, its worth the wait.

Bugeater great write up. It was an amazing weekend. You guys were fast! I couldn't hang with you guys (ran 2:11) my balls weren't big enough :omg: . As I got to know the track better on Sunday it seemed conditions were deteriorating due to the heat and all the junk put down by the mis-haps. It was really great having Ralph there, he is so easy to approch and talk to. We truly are a bunch of lucky SOB's, to have guys like Ralph out and hanging with us. Ralph is out promoting his passion and his company. BTW the 2009 RAM truck is awsome. I think it is time to say good-bye to my 175000 mile 2000 Durango.

Dave

ACR Jim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is a picture of Ralph on the track at VIR coming out of turn #3 As others have already stated, it was a pleasure to get a chance to both talk to and see him in action in the ACR. I have a few other pictures in the gallery as well as some of the new ACR that was delivered to Bernie on Saturday.

Attachments

• Ralph at VIR in ACR.jpg
    Ralph at VIR in ACR.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 50
V

Venomiss

What a nice write up on Viper Days.
Maybe we can get some to join us?:)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads