Viper engine details released.

kdaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From Allpar:

"The Dodge Viper has been seen several times in testing, easily recognizable even when wrapped up in camouflage. Allpar has just been told that it would be powered by an 8.7 liter version of the V-10 engine, which displaced 8.4 liters in 2010. At around 531 cubic inches, it would be the largest engine ever used in a Chrysler production car, by a good margin (the largest engine produced by Chrysler during the muscle car era was the 440 V8, while the most powerful was the 426 Hemi.)"

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was at the Walter P Chrysler Museum two weeks ago and struck up a conversation with the gentleman working there quickly turned to Vipers. He was a car guy I could tell. He told me that he could offer only 1 piece of inside information on the new viper. He just looked at me and smiled and then he said "ten"!
I got the biggest grin on my face and shook his hand several times and said thank you that is GREAT news!
My wife was like "... Ten? What was that all about?" :D

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea, that's what we needed more displacement, like giving a guy with a 10" thingy and extra inch. LoL

ok, ok, I kid, a little, we'll take it, can't wait for the more cool details to come out ... some time. Wonder what this will mean for HP.

Reaction score
There is no part number for the 2012 6.4L piston assembly so maybe they dropped them in the Viper to up the displacement? There is a different number for the 2011 listed though. This would have been done years ago to get it emissions certified so who knows what we will see.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

kdaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
pretty soon there's gonna be more room in the cylindars than there will be in the trunk...

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Eight point seven liters?
You must be registered for see images attach

8.0 < 8.3 < 8.4 < 8.7
There is No Replacement for Dissplacment:headbang::headbang::headbang:

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Someone want to post the Deer god Pic? one of my favs!

I say go for 9.0 Sounds nice and even!

8 speed tranny to go with for 40mpg?

OP
OP
K

kdaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is no part number for the 2012 6.4L piston assembly so maybe they dropped them in the Viper to up the displacement? There is a different number for the 2011 listed though. This would have been done years ago to get it emissions certified so who knows what we will see.
Well they did use the 6.1 pistons in the 8.4L engine of the Gen IV so I think it would make sense for them to use the 6.4 pistons to reduce cost, especially with the new fancier interior. I wonder how spreading the platform development costs with maserati will allow an increase in comfort without sacreficing cost...

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess we now know how they went about getting 700hp out of this motor. Impressive displacement. The torque figures will be ungodly. Can't wait to see what the gen v will do to the earths crust.

I hope they keep weight down under 3300lbs.

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HOLLY HELL!!! 8.7L!!! 531 Cubic Inches!!! HOLLY HELL!!! I just hope the da** thing looks as good as it will obviously perform.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Guys, FYI, all information I can find points to the 6.4L being a STROKER version of the 6.1L, not a change in bore size. The 392 Hemi also uses the 4.055 bore, same as the 8.4L Viper and the 6.1L Hemi. Knowing that, it is likely that the "new" Viper engine is either a stroker version of the 8.4L, is STILL 8.4L, or does not share any components with the other engines. But I think we can agree that we are getting to the point of "pointless" when it comes to extra cubes. 10 or 20 cubes on top of 500 is virtually meaningless. Now, if it went to TEN liters, then we would have something to be clapping about. The extra cubes, while it might happen just "because", probably wont be more than a minor relation to the actual power increase, which will surely be technology and production alterations. It will surely have variable cam technology, cleaned up tuning, heads and manifold design, and more than likely be direct injection with higher compression.

Last edited:

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was at the Walter P Chrysler Museum two weeks ago and struck up a conversation with the gentleman working there quickly turned to Vipers. He was a car guy I could tell. He told me that he could offer only 1 piece of inside information on the new viper. He just looked at me and smiled and then he said "ten"!
I got the biggest grin on my face and shook his hand several times and said thank you that is GREAT news!
My wife was like "... Ten? What was that all about?" :D

Ten meaning still using ten cylinders? I thought that would be a given.

chiefchad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
8.7 litres, with more torque and horsepower? I'm happy with that news..... but did you just hear the loud collective "ker-thunk" of our current Vipers dropping $5,000-$10,000 in value?

345s-bspinnin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If bore isn't changed, then its a stroked 8.4L. Hope it can rev past 5000 rpm....LOL.

Saying 8.7 L sound like an insult. Its as if Dodge enjoys slapping other manufacturers around.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang