Viper Engine Installation in an AC Cobra

jankroau

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am a newbie. :confused: I am also building my first kit car.

I am based in Oz so parts are difficult but am trawling through ebay and the various clubs around the world. I am looking to install a viper engine into an AC Cobra replica or an Ultima.

I have a new Gen 1 crate engine and was wondering whether a standard pcm is required if I was to install a dedicated engine controller such as a motec M800 or a wolf 3-d (AEM)?? I am planning on making it a twin T76 turbo for added stupidity.:omg:

I am also planning on buying a Viper but am having difficulty with compliance issues in Oz. No one can comply a post 2002 Viper - Go figure!!!! If anyone has access to the E-Mark equivalent codes for crash saftey etc.

This my first of a couple of planned projects so before I venture down a massive path of destruction any assistance/advice/warnings would be appreciated:dunno:

Tks

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where exactly is OZ? That can't be where the Emerald City is, is it? Do I follow the yellow brick road to get there?

Sorry, I couldn't resist.:D

OP
OP
J

jankroau

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:rolaugh: The road to Oz was never yellow - the sub on the other hand....:2tu:

Seriously any help????

TwinTurbo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been looking at A/C Cobras for many years and almost bought one a friend had with a monster 572 bored and stroked Ford Engine that he was asking $35K for and although I had been looking for one with a Big Block Chevy engine with a 9" Ford Rear I ended up buying my 2004 Viper. I do know they are a lot of people that make the Cobra replicas and I liked the Everret Morrison and mt friends was made by Formance? Cobra which is known to make a nice kit.

I did see one that was advertised on E Bay a year or so ago with a Viper Engine and I'm still dreaming about that car. That has got to be the Ultimate!! They were asking $85,000 for it and I think it sold. Not sure how much but I'd sure like to find another.

Good luck on your project !! It has been done!! :usa:

OP
OP
J

jankroau

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cheers, once I soughty out the engine issues I will try and get some posted. I have just bought a lotus 7 replica to play with for experience. Hoping to start the Cobra effort within the next 3/4 months. Engine is still on its way! Thanks for the encouragement!!

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are two or three Cobras in the Detroit region running around with Viper engines in them. Sorry, I can't help you with your question, but here are some pictures of one of them.

6594vipercobra5.JPG

6594vipercobra3.JPG

6594vipercobra2.JPG

6594vipercobra1.JPG

6594vipercobra4.JPG

I do remember two things about this car: 1.) He had to push the firewall in toward the passenger compartment significantly; and 2.) The car goes like snot -- one fast accellerating vehicle!!

By the way, Tom, "Oz" is Kansas (from the Wizzard of Oz).

TwinTurbo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are two or three Cobras in the Detroit region running around with Viper engines in them. Sorry, I can't help you with your question, but here are some pictures of one of them.

6594vipercobra5.JPG

6594vipercobra3.JPG

6594vipercobra2.JPG

6594vipercobra1.JPG

6594vipercobra4.JPG

I do remember two things about this car: 1.) He had to push the firewall in toward the passenger compartment significantly; and 2.) The car goes like snot -- one fast accellerating vehicle!!

By the way, Tom, "Oz" is Kansas (from the Wizzard of Oz).
Now THAT has got to be Theeee Ultimate !!!!!!!