Viper envy... I love it

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"#11: the sheer thrill of wrapping your car around a telephone pole."

Like Vette owners have less chance in doing this....... NOT :D !

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, but, in all fairness, they did come up with this Top Ten Reasons concept. That's pretty darned cool.

How does that go..."imitation is the greatest form of flattery?"

Alice (HEMOTOX)

vipersrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
funny how the vette guys and the mustang guys are always bashing the cars that are better than theirs, and yet viper owners only praise better cars than the viper, ie the exotics

dirk989

Viper Owner
Reaction score
"yet viper owners only praise better cars than the viper, ie the exotics "

I'm hard pressed to know what those better cars might be. Seriously, I've owned and driven Ferrari's, Lotus', and other 'exotics.' When I got the srt-10 I didn't have very high expectations. I thought I'd enjoy the newness for a few months and then sell.

After 1600 miles (in 3 weeks) you'll have to pry the key from my dead, cold, lifeles hand to get this car. I'm thoroughly impressed and amazed. What you don't seem to get from all of the articles and reviews out there is that the fit and finish is miles ahead of what I expected. I also expected the ride to be brutal and uncomfortable. While it isn't your grandfather's luxury boat, it is damned comfortable. I would have no problem taking this car on lengthy trips. Even the dreaded thermal nuclear blast hasn't been a problem. Sure it gets a little warm, but the air works great and going ******* is an option.

I've owned vettes also. I would assume many of us on here have. Although when our finances get a little better we get a snake. My brother in law is a corvette freak and truly loves his, but we both know he'd trade in an instant. They are very nice cars. They are bargains. Everyone accepts that they are more comfortable than our Vipers, but I'm more comfortable sitting in the Viper than a new Z06. The vette is easier to drive, but then so is a Buick with an automatic.

My rambling point here is that the Viper stacks up quite favorably against ANY car out there. Some are faster. Some cheaper. Some more comfortable. A few handle or stop better, very few.

I don't really care if the vette guys want to bash my Viper. I'm secure. The only guys you see who regularly bash another car are usually insecure and usually have opinions that are not based on fact or information. [Or they are Canadian kids who just like to stir up trouble ;) ]

This group consists of a lot of really knowledgeable car people. It doesn''t surprise me that the conversations on here are a bit more constructive. We are also blessed with some guys who can really write.

Just a bit bored and thought I would pitch in my 3.5 cents worth.

Dirk

NOMERCY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only guys you see who regularly bash another car are usually insecure and usually have opinions that are not based on fact or information. [Or they are Canadian kids who just like to stir up trouble ;) ]

This group consists of a lot of really knowledgeable car people. It doesn''t surprise me that the conversations on here are a bit more constructive. We are also blessed with some guys who can really write.

Dirk

There's more than enough arrogance and bashing that goes on here as well. The Viper owners can't even respect each other, (SRT10 vs. GTS vs. RT10), on this forum. :rolleyes:

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm hard pressed to know what those better cars might be. Seriously, I've owned and driven Ferrari's, Lotus', and other 'exotics.' When I got the srt-10 I didn't have very high expectations. I thought I'd enjoy the newness for a few months and then sell.

After 1600 miles (in 3 weeks) you'll have to pry the key from my dead, cold, lifeles hand to get this car. I'm thoroughly impressed and amazed. What you don't seem to get from all of the articles and reviews out there is that the fit and finish is miles ahead of what I expected. I also expected the ride to be brutal and uncomfortable. While it isn't your grandfather's luxury boat, it is damned comfortable. I would have no problem taking this car on lengthy trips. Even the dreaded thermal nuclear blast hasn't been a problem. Sure it gets a little warm, but the air works great and going ******* is an option.

I've owned vettes also. I would assume many of us on here have. Although when our finances get a little better we get a snake. My brother in law is a corvette freak and truly loves his, but we both know he'd trade in an instant. They are very nice cars. They are bargains. Everyone accepts that they are more comfortable than our Vipers, but I'm more comfortable sitting in the Viper than a new Z06. The vette is easier to drive, but then so is a Buick with an automatic.

My rambling point here is that the Viper stacks up quite favorably against ANY car out there. Some are faster. Some cheaper. Some more comfortable. A few handle or stop better, very few.

I don't really care if the vette guys want to bash my Viper. I'm secure. The only guys you see who regularly bash another car are usually insecure and usually have opinions that are not based on fact or information. [Or they are Canadian kids who just like to stir up trouble ;) ]

Dirk

Stick around, you opinion will change. Go to the Gen I-II board and see how much the bash the Gen III. And there is PLENTY of Mustang, Vette and Ford GT bashing here as well, it is no different.

While any Gen Viper is awesome, I wouldn't say it will "stack up against any car", in the speed category some cars. But factory in fit and finsh, interior, cabin heat and Exclusitivity then it fails short.

Make no mistake I'm a Viper fan no doubt, but I'm not about to say they it is on the Smae Level as a Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren, etc.

There's a thread atleast every two weeks about an ower selling their car of A Ferari 360, Lambo, etc

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Dirk

Stick around, you opinion will change. Go to the Gen I-II board and see how much the bash the Gen III. And there is PLENTY of Mustang, Vette and Ford GT bashing here as well, it is no different.

While any Gen Viper is awesome, I wouldn't say it will "stack up against any car", in the speed category some cars. But factory in fit and finsh, interior, cabin heat and Exclusitivity then it fails short.

Make no mistake I'm a Viper fan no doubt, but I'm not about to say they it is on the Smae Level as a Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren, etc.

There's a thread atleast every two weeks about an ower selling their car of A Ferari 360, Lambo, etc
Mopar426:Caught you again trying to bring down the Viper. If the Viper doesn't hold up with the "big boys" how come Dupont Registry rated the GTS Viper as the 3rd best sports car of the century? Yupp that's right 3rd!!! Diablo was first and the McLaren second. Pretty exclusive company and this poll was taken by "the" authority on exotics. The GTS even out-ranked your precious Ferraris!!! :headbang: Long live the king!!! :p

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mopar426:Caught you again trying to bring down the Viper. If the Viper doesn't hold up with the "big boys" how come Dupont Registry rated the GTS Viper as the 3rd best sports car of the century? Yupp that's right 3rd!!! Diablo was first and the McLaren second. Pretty exclusive company and this poll was taken by "the" authority on exotics. The GTS even out-ranked your precious Ferraris!!! :headbang: Long live the king!!! :p

[/QUOTE]

Not trying to bring any Viper down by any means, just stating some cars have more prestige, clout and heritage. In my eyes no car is perfect and I can find a fault in every car I own. While Dodge has done an outstanding job w/ all 3 Gen Vipers, I just don't see it as the "End all of sports cars". It a bad *** ride without question, no one is doubting that. :2tu:

BadVenm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That was the first time I'd ever been to the Vette forum. Mainly because I don't currently own one. Although, I did own one about 12 years ago.

What kind of misconception do those vette owners have saying we have to perform costly rebuilds every year???? I have a 99 with well over 610HP (we're not done yet) and it's got 16k miles and (knock on wood) not a single problem or upkeep issue. Add gas and change the oil, that's it.

BUT.....One comment that one of our Viper owners said on that thread was that the Viper is evolving into a daily driver....GOD I HOPE NOT! THAT WOULD ****!!! **** BIG TIME!!!

I've owned a Gen 1, currently own two Gen 2's, a RT & GTS.

I LOVE the Gen 1 and Gen 2 rawness, racecar feel and response. I would not like the Viper near as much if it was as tame, over optioned, drove and felt like a Corvette or if it made a good daily driver like the Corvette does. The Viper was made for owning as a weekend toy or a road race racecar and even a drag strip car (some bone stocks running 11.6's), and that should never change!

Just my .02 worth.

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That was the first time I'd ever been to the Vette forum. Mainly because I don't currently own one. Although, I did own one about 12 years ago.

What kind of misconception do those vette owners have saying we have to perform costly rebuilds every year???? I have a 99 with well over 610HP (we're not done yet) and it's got 16k miles and (knock on wood) not a single problem or upkeep issue. Add gas and change the oil, that's it.

BUT.....One comment that one of our Viper owners said on that thread was that the Viper is evolving into a daily driver....GOD I HOPE NOT! THAT WOULD ****!!! **** BIG TIME!!!

I LOVE the Gen 1 and Gen 2 rawness, racecar feel and response. I would not like the Viper near as much if it was as tame, over optioned, drove and felt like a Corvette or if it made a good daily driver like the Corvette does. The Viper was made for owning as a weekend toy or a road race racecar and even a drag strip car (some bone stocks running 11.6's), and that should never change!

Just my .02 worth.

Simple those people are clueless. They don't know what they are talking about so they blow things out of proportion about how rough a Viper rides, how hot it is etc. Goes both ways though, I remeber a thread how someone said a '04 Z06 needs $10K in mods to run with a Gen II GTS. LOL

As far as a Viper ever becoming a DD, highly doubtful. But the SRT/10 does have cup holders.:D

AG98RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There is a lot of "urban wisdom" that is pretty ridiculous in Tupperville, too, like the myth that the Vettes out-handle the Snakes. ;)

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Dirk

could not have said it better myself

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Yes, it performs well, but that is all it does well."

LOL That comment really kills me. LOL. That guy sure got us on that one.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
"Yes, it performs well, but that is all it does well."

LOL That comment really kills me. LOL. That guy sure got us on that one.

LOL, what, did he expect it to make chicken soup and wash dishes too?

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Just my .02 worth.

Yeah, that was (almost) my comment about evolving towards being a better daily driver. But my point was that if you took the 1992 Viper and compared it directly against the 2005 SRT-10 Viper you would see that it has in fact evolved into a better daily driver than the original concept (which was never meant to be a commuter car or in any way practical). ;)

I have driven my Viper almost every day for 3 years now, and it's close enough comfort-wise as it needs to be for me considering it's performance. There is no doubt that cars like the Corvette and Porsche 911 have pushed the Viper to have better comfort, drivability, safety, and convenience (happily not by sacrificing performance). :2tu:

vipersrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i dont think the viper is the same class as a ferrari or lambo, it can be driven to perform as well, but just isnt as well made or have the overall solid assembly as the ferrari or lambo. i wouldnt give up the viper to get either however, but i will get the others sooner or later. biggest complaint about the viper srt is the windows hitting the top if the door isnt closed the first time all way and the tranny the loves to go from 3rd to 2nd under full excelleration if it isnt pushed hard to the right when brought into 4th, or maybe its just my car in particular. Girls love the car and wanna go for rides and compliment it more than guys, which is fine with me, the Z06 doesnt get any attention like that

OP
OP
A

ARMORGOD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
But the SRT/10 does have cup holders.:D

Uhh... no it doesn't. It has an ashtray that can be removed, leaving a hole in the center console that is too small to fit the bottom of any cup in existance (because it obviously wasn't designed for that)! All it's really good for is to hold change for toll roads.

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"2. I will enjoy having to spend $$$ on my Viper's recommended yearly engine rebuild"

You know whats funny about that one?

its uncommon to see a viper BUT when you do is it uncommon to see a 1994 viper running mint?? **** no its not, notice you don't see as many old vettes around these days do ya?? I'd say 1998 and up is common so who's cars are breaking down not ours.

"11: the sheer thrill of wrapping your car around a telephone pole."

Sad part about that is this ones true because as most of us know many people came to a viper from a vette and figure if they can handle a vette a viper is no problem THEIR WRONG.

its funny how thay talk all this shyt but when a viper lined up with a vette what happends?? **** we don't know they are so far behind we can't see them to know whats going on.

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score
But the SRT/10 does have cup holders.:D

Uhh... no it doesn't. It has an ashtray that can be removed, leaving a hole in the center console that is too small to fit the bottom of any cup in existance (because it obviously wasn't designed for that)! All it's really good for is to hold change for toll roads.

No cupholder??? You might want to tell MGW that. LOL

http://www.mgwltd.com/viper_cupholder_bezel_srt.html

You must be registered for see images

Although most Viper owners cringe at the idea of even having a cupholder in the Viper, MGW decided that if it has to be there you might as well make it look good.

However, we did not stop there. Not only does the Billet Bezel Ring make the Cupholder look much nicer, it actually makes it much more functional as well. The inside diameter is reduced to just over the size of a standard soda can. As a result, you do not risk tipping the can over and spilling it as you can with the stock opening. Even if you never use the cupholder, there is no denying the aesthetic beauty of the bezel and that in itself makes this a great addition to the interior of the SRT10 Viper. Finished in pearl bright triple chrome to match the factory accents as well as other MGW accessories.

dirk989

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just a couple of points here for Mopar426 and vipersrt10, I read your comments and have to respond.

I have owned and driven many other exotics.

vipersrt10 says that the Viper isn't as well made as a Lambo or Ferrari. The SRT-10 is certainly much better made than either the Countach or 328 that 426 owned, without any question. If you spend any time with a Murc or Gallardo then you'll see that the SRT-10 is every bit the equal in fit and finish. Of course for $100k more, Dodge might choose to use some more expensive parts. Side by side they match up well. If you look at the SRT-10 next to a 360 or 550 then you'll see the same thing. It is every bit as well made, although Dodge sometimes uses less expensive parts. The SRT-10 is bulletproof compared to either Ferrari or Lambo. If you want to talk about fancy or pretty, then the Fcar or Lambo wins because of the ability to use more expensive parts. If you want to talk about better build quality or fit and finish then the SRT-10 is the one that comes out on top.

Take a good look. Sit inside the different cars. Drive them. You'll see that thinking that a Lambo or Fcar are put together better than the SRT-10 is just a myth.

426 mentions that the Viper doesn't have the prestige or heritage of Ferrari or Lambo. That is true. Heritage, prestige and image doesn't tell you anything about the quality of the car, just what other people think when they see you in it. Frankly, Alfa, Porsche, Bentley, and Lotus all have pedigrees matching Ferrari and certainly more prestigous than Lambo. [Lambo started as a tractor company] Dodge has a great history with the Viper, just not one that goes back quite as far. Get back to me in 20 years on that one and then we'll compare.

I didn't say that the SRT-10 was the be all end all of sports cars. I just said it is a hell of a car. I said it compares favorably to anything made. You can sit it alongside any production car including the Ford GT, any Lambo, any Ferrari except MAYBE the Enzo [which isn't really a production car and only a handful are made], and any car you mentioned [even the McClaren which hasn't been produced for years and clearly isn't a poduction car] and you won't be embarrassed. It is a great car.

Finally, I know there are some Gen I and Gen II owners who are insecure enough to bash the SRT-10. I've seen a number of SRT-10 guys bash the Gen I and II cars also. They are all great cars and most of the real car guys on here wouldn't think of that sort of bashing. They are different and some people like one and not the other, but they are all great cars.

Oh, and the SRT-10 is a pretty decent daily driver, but it is still raw and a little rough. And, as much as I hate to admit it, my 2004 has a cup holder.

Again, just a few cents worth of unsolicited opinion.

Dirk

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a couple of points here for Mopar426 and vipersrt10, I read your comments and have to respond.

I have owned and driven many other exotics.

vipersrt10 says that the Viper isn't as well made as a Lambo or Ferrari. The SRT-10 is certainly much better made than either the Countach or 328 that 426 owned, without any question. If you spend any time with a Murc or Gallardo then you'll see that the SRT-10 is every bit the equal in fit and finish. Of course for $100k more, Dodge might choose to use some more expensive parts. Side by side they match up well. If you look at the SRT-10 next to a 360 or 550 then you'll see the same thing. It is every bit as well made, although Dodge sometimes uses less expensive parts. The SRT-10 is bulletproof compared to either Ferrari or Lambo. If you want to talk about fancy or pretty, then the Fcar or Lambo wins because of the ability to use more expensive parts. If you want to talk about better build quality or fit and finish then the SRT-10 is the one that comes out on top.

Take a good look. Sit inside the different cars. Drive them. You'll see that thinking that a Lambo or Fcar are put together better than the SRT-10 is just a myth.

426 mentions that the Viper doesn't have the prestige or heritage of Ferrari or Lambo. That is true. Heritage, prestige and image doesn't tell you anything about the quality of the car, just what other people think when they see you in it. Frankly, Alfa, Porsche, Bentley, and Lotus all have pedigrees matching Ferrari and certainly more prestigous than Lambo. [Lambo started as a tractor company] Dodge has a great history with the Viper, just not one that goes back quite as far. Get back to me in 20 years on that one and then we'll compare.

I didn't say that the SRT-10 was the be all end all of sports cars. I just said it is a hell of a car. I said it compares favorably to anything made. You can sit it alongside any production car including the Ford GT, any Lambo, any Ferrari except MAYBE the Enzo [which isn't really a production car and only a handful are made], and any car you mentioned [even the McClaren which hasn't been produced for years and clearly isn't a poduction car] and you won't be embarrassed. It is a great car.

Finally, I know there are some Gen I and Gen II owners who are insecure enough to bash the SRT-10. I've seen a number of SRT-10 guys bash the Gen I and II cars also. They are all great cars and most of the real car guys on here wouldn't think of that sort of bashing. They are different and some people like one and not the other, but they are all great cars.

Oh, and the SRT-10 is a pretty decent daily driver, but it is still raw and a little rough. And, as much as I hate to admit it, my 2004 has a cup holder.

Again, just a few cents worth of unsolicited opinion.

Dirk

No problem and I have to agree the exotics I've owned/own probably lack the fit and finished of the SRT/10. Keep in mind were talking 1986 vs 2005. As far as interior goes I have to disagree on the fact the Viper has the same quality as an Italian exotic. All you have to do is slide into the seat of an Italian and the the smell alone of hand stiched Italian leather set them apart. Rub your hand across the door panels and controls and everything feels worlds better than the Viper. Loos are subjective so it's merely a matter of opinion.

But fret not because the Viper is 50% of the price, and in the area of performance it can hang no doubt.

As far as image, clout and heritage the Ferrari/Lambo/Lotus has it beat. Some say that doesn't matter, but look how many owners were Corvette owners. I read ATLEAST once a week how they see 20 Corvettes a day and how they make 30,000/yr. Several members here stated they purchased the Viper for the image and attention alone, so you DO get what you pay for.

As far as Viper racing in the future, I hope Dodge gets back on track. :2tu:

allanlambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have to interject, comparing the build quality of a 2005 Viper to that of a Countach is a bit of a joke. I mean come on, the Countach was designed in the early 70's.

As for todays models, im sorry but everytime ive gone to buy a Viper, what has dissapointed me WAS the build quality. Definately not the equal of the Lambo or Fcar. But, it is excusable, as of course they cost substantially more. For the money, Viper is hard to beat.

Andy 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My viper is seven years old, and is my daily driver. The only thing it has ever needed has been oil changes.

I would argue that it's not on the same level as Ferraris. It is superior-- especially In terms of reliability, looks andperformance (exception $500K F40, F40, $1M enzo) to any Ferrari.

Have you guys seen some of the new Ferraris coming out? (612 Scagletti, Imola, etc) Those are some of the ugliest disappointments ever produced by Ferrari.

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have to interject, comparing the build quality of a 2005 Viper to that of a Countach is a bit of a joke. I mean come on, the Countach was designed in the early 70's.

As for todays models, im sorry but everytime ive gone to buy a Viper, what has dissapointed me WAS the build quality. Definately not the equal of the Lambo or Fcar. But, it is excusable, as of course they cost substantially more. For the money, Viper is hard to beat.

your getting better that was almost a half of a nice comment about the viper lol.

NOMERCY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was impressed with the fit and finish of my SRT. It was much better than I expected. That being said any 04 Lambo or Ferrari has it beat by a mile. Nothing wrong with that though. ;)

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Every time I touch my car, it moves. or squeeks. or rattles. Every part seems designed to be the most inexpensive possible, attached in as few places as possible. Push on the rear turn signal lenses. The bumper cover moves. Sit inside, everything is plastic except the seats, door pulls and shifter bezel. Now push on a 360, anywhere. Solid. Sit inside and touch TONS of real billet aluminum, real leather all perfectly stitched, real carbon fiber... Classy!

It's not sad to compare the SRT-10's build quality to the Ferrari and Lambo, they cost MUCH more, they should be much better. It's sad to walk through a Kia dealer lot and see better gap precision than any Mercedes, Ferrari, Lambo, Porsche...not to mention Vipers. I'm not complaining, they are great for what they are, low volume hand built American muscle cars!