Viper is a Corvette?

cobrapilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The story goes like this: I drove my Viper up to a small town Dodge dealer and noticed an SRT Ram QC sitting there. I parked the Viper next to it to check it out. He comes the salesman. He says "That sure is a nice Corvette you have there". He was dead serious! I said "Dude, that is a Viper. Dodge makes it and this is a Dodge dealer right?" He looks at it some more and says "Yea, your right it is a Viper. I guess I just see more Vetts than I do Vipers." After I got over my feelings being hurt, I went into shock got in my car and drove off.

I was so upset, I called Bill P. and threatened to buy another corviper that day.

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I grew up in the car business, a Dodge dealer. I am amazed at how little car salesman actually know about cars now days. In the old days, a rep loved being around and selling cars, most were true enthusiasts. In my area, you do have a few good ones, but for the most part the reps usually lose their real job and wind up on a lot until they can get back on their feet.

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was at a GM dealership looking to get a Corvette conv for my wife. Salesman comes out and says, "This is the fastest production sports car made in America today." I said bullsh**. My Viper will run circles around this car. He said, " I bet you $1,000 this Vette will beat your Viper in the 1/4 mile." I said, "Dude, you have your facts wrong. This car has 400 hp and does the 1/4 mile in about 12.8 or so. I have 510 (I was stock then) and I do the 1/4 mile in about 12.1. Now, if this was a z06 it would be a different story, but this is a regular C6 Vette, no competition." He said Vipers only had about 400 hp or so and they were like 4,000 lbs and could not keep up w/ the Vettes. My wife and I just walked out of the dealership. I would not even buy a cup of coffee from someone who was so ignorant of their own market.

FinalEd357

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When I was looking to add a C6z next to my GTS, I was @ a Cheby dealer. They weren't going to have one available. I told him I already had a deposit on one for sticker but it would take 6 months. He said "you're lucky - I know of dealers getting $100k over sticker". I politely asked him if he meant $10k, and he said no, people are willing to pay $100k over because the car will only go up in value. Genius.

Rizzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have met some really dumb salesmen over the years but I figure if I go to a dealership and know more about the cars that they sell than they do???? I'm out of there. I took a Camaro SS out for a test years ago and the sales dude tried to convince me it had a V6 in it. He had no idea. I went around the next corner, pinned it and got the car sideways and pulled hard through 3rd gear and looked at the sales guy and said " Do you think a V6 would do that?" LOL.. He left the testdrive educated. ha ha. Last summer I pulled in to a Chevy dealer with my C5 Vette and one of the sales guys came out and asked how I liked my new Vette? I said it was a 99. He looked puzzled and actually told me he thought it was the new C6. :omg:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The few times I've had to stop at a GM lot (to use their restroom) the salesmen always say something like "Are you ready to trade that in on a Vett?" And I just laaaaaaaaugh and laugh.

TBarrow

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It never ceases to amaze me the ignorance of sales associates, even worse is I am a over sales for a home builder you have to know if your sales people are LOSING you sales as most of you have proven. I heard the dealer down the street had a black Z06 and decided to concider it. well it was sold and as I was leaving a new salesman screamed out " yeah our vette will beat that" I backed up and told him to go and grab the keys, It was then a seasoned professional told him to clean the $h!t out of his ears and listen. That one is not stock and why don't you check the license plate. The end result was pretty funny and I left there with a smile on my face.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
with the exception of tator,woodhouse and another 1 or 2 dealerships around, the rest of them are just pathetic. and not worth an ounce of my time or money.

viperbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had a couple good experiences at Jacksonville Dodge and Waldorf Dodge (Maryland) - good techs and great staffs. However, they are a rare breed.

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
when i was trying to burp my cooling system last month, i drove to the nearest dodge dealership and asked for an appt to top off my system. they said "No problem, we can do it right now!" i thought COOL!

we walked over to the car, and i did the "first" hood pop which opened the hood slightly in the front. the mechanic walked to the front of the car, reached under the front of the popped hood, and tried to lift the hood. :bonker:

I immediately LEFT.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I guess some dealers just dont get many Vipers and salesman always come and go, so they really dont care sometimes. They just sell whats on the lot. They dont want to know the history or learn the models.
A group of us stopped in at a Doge dealer to meet someone. There was about 6 of us in Vipers. All the sales guys were amazed, to see so many together at once. Then I had two of the guys come up to me. One asks, "how much it cost to paint it that color,looks cool." So i tell them "I didnt paint it, its a Copperhead and came like this from Dodge." The other guy then says, "oh , yeah, Its a 2006 , right?" :bonker:

OP
OP
C

cobrapilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went to the dodge dealer in Olympia in 1993 to look at buying a new Viper that they had on the showroom floor. I wanted to buy it right then. I asked the salesman if I could sit in it and he said I would have to go talk to the dealership owner before I could get permission to sit in it. The owner started filling me full of BS, they don't allow people to sit in it etc. and I said forget it and walked out. All I wanted to do was sit in it. I did'nt even ask to drive it. I was so pissed I went next door and bought a 911. It took me 13 years to get over that and get back to a Viper which is the best car.

That 1993 Viper is STILL sitting there right now, brand new if you can believe that! They never did sell it. Now it must be all siezed up etc. It has not moved since 1993.

Donuts4me9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went to the dodge dealer in Olympia in 1993 to look at buying a new Viper that they had on the showroom floor. I wanted to buy it right then. I asked the salesman if I could sit in it and he said I would have to go talk to the dealership owner before I could get permission to sit in it. The owner started filling me full of BS, they don't allow people to sit in it etc. and I said forget it and walked out. All I wanted to do was sit in it. I did'nt even ask to drive it. I was so pissed I went next door and bought a 911. It took me 13 years to get over that and get back to a Viper which is the best car.

That 1993 Viper is STILL sitting there right now, brand new if you can believe that! They never did sell it. Now it must be all siezed up etc. It has not moved since 1993.

What a waste. at least the owner should have driven it. :pile:

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Almost all salemen don't know crap about what they sell. When I bought my Z06 from a Chevy Store that specialized in vette's none the less the salesman told me to give him a minute and he would show me how the top comes off on my Z06. I told him thank you but it does not come off. He said, sure it does. He looked for about five minutes for latches before he believed me. This is from a chevy dealer that claims to be #1 vette sellers in the country. And I am not talking about Kerbeck who actually IS #1.

Cobraken

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That 1993 Viper is STILL sitting there right now, brand new if you can believe that! They never did sell it. Now it must be all siezed up etc. It has not moved since 1993.[/quote]

I saw that car about 5 yrs ago. It was roped off in a corner of the show room @ the Automall Dodge store. Looked like it was aging just sitting there.

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't forget about Roanoke:nono: :nono: Best place to buy a Viper and they have the best Viper tech.:D :D

Then they must have the worst detail shop around.

They delivered this car to one of our members with the dealer installed swirl option.

It was so bad, we used it as our test car to learn how to buff out a car properly at Meguiar's

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20315

:nono:

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
C

cobrapilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I saw that car about 5 yrs ago. It was roped off in a corner of the show room @ the Automall Dodge store. Looked like it was aging just sitting there.[/quote]

I guess it's just sitting there collecting value huh?

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Then they must have the worst detail shop around.

They delivered this car to one of our members with the dealer installed swirl option.

It was so bad, we used it as our test car to learn how to buff out a car properly at Meguiar's

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20315

:nono:

You must be registered for see images attach

Don't even tell me this is a car that came from Roanoke? They are looking for a Graphite or Sapphire GTS for me. Looks like I can't buy from them site unseen. :nono:

Flying Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
with the exception of tator,woodhouse and another 1 or 2 dealerships around, the rest of them are just pathetic. and not worth an ounce of my time or money.

Count Buhler Dodge in as one of the exceptional dealers, and besides, Darren Bulher is a super person. TONY

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
lol here's one short and sweet....

I drive into the local Dodge Dealer to get pics of a yellow SRT that was outside....

Afterwards I walk inside to take pics of a 92 red RT/10....

S: So your into vipers huh?
Talk for a good twenty minutes about my photography.
S: Well this one is being sold for $80k
M: Really?
S: Yup never been driven or registered!

Okkkkkkkk.....Here I was thinking to myself. Then why in god's name is there a plate on the trunk and 3500 miles on the car!?

So an older man come up next to me after my convo with the sales dude and asked "How much would you give for this car?" I told him mid-40's to low-50's. The car has some scratches about and not to mentioned a curbed left front rim but it was driveable.

Never had a probablem with a Corvette owner or GM dealer, at least not yet, but one time I was playing around outside with one of my R/C vipers in the street and some old fart told me I shoulda got a vette....I laughed.

--RS

JeremyS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i know what you mean about being offended! i get it about once a week or so.. "hey, is that a vette"? or "nice vette" and many others. i'm always polite but i'm always upset! i want to say "what are you an absolute *****"! duh........ it's a VIPER.......... you idiot!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32