viper options?

all4rocks

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am getting ready to buy my first viper and am doing a little research. Are there different viper packages? do some vipers come with more options than others. what is an ACR?

OP
OP
all4rocks

all4rocks

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking for a black 03 or 04. Havnt decided if i want the SRT10 or the GTS. What is the difference between a GTS and a SRT10 coupe?

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Looking for a black 03 or 04. Havnt decided if i want the SRT10 or the GTS. What is the difference between a GTS and a SRT10 coupe?

Vipers have 4 distinct 'generations' You are mixing your Gens!

Invest $25 in a Viper Buyers Guide if you want a 92-2003.

Or drop a dime and Ill give you a quick 10-min tutorial.

Short Answer: GTS (all Coupes) are 96.5 - 2002 ONLY. Black only made 2 years. ACR only 99-2002, then again 2008. ALL COUPES (except 1 single raffle unit)

2003-2004 is ALL CONVERTIBLES.....

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You should do your research and determine if you want to buy stock, or find one with mods. If your color specific, it might take longer to find one with your specifications. No matter what you get you'll be happy! Start doing your research and you'll soon find what you like....

:usa:

OP
OP
all4rocks

all4rocks

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks for the info it was very helpful. One more question. Do all SRT10's come with a hardtop or is it a dealer option?

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get an 05 if possible, many 03's and 04's have problems w/ piston rods breaking, especially the 04s (mine blew up this summer). The problem was corrected by Dodge in 05. This is really important if you plan to modify the car for more power. If you do get an 03 or 04 at the right price, invest in upgraded rods and pistons. That will run you about $5,000 installed.

As far as a coupe or convertible, besides taste, there are some practical differences. I personally think all sports cars should be convertibles:headbang: , they look better w/ top down and you can enjoy a nice ride on a really nice day. BUT, if you plan to track your car you will have to get an aftermarket roll bar kit. The new coupe retains more of the traditional Viper lines from the GTS in my opinion. Both cars are gorgeous, and the coupes are rarer, convertibles attract more women (not good if u r married like me!).

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Get an 05 if possible, many 03's and 04's have problems w/ piston rods breaking, especially the 04s (mine blew up this summer). The problem was corrected by Dodge in 05. This is really important if you plan to modify the car for more power. If you do get an 03 or 04 at the right price, invest in upgraded rods and pistons. That will run you about $5,000 installed.

04-06 cars all have the same connecting rods as 05, and in fact, 03 has STRONGER connecting rods than 04-06. The problem wasnt rooted as the rods, it was rooted at the oiling system, particularly the combination of crap pickup and main bearings causing spun bearings, which then resulting in the breakage of the brittle, understrength connecting rods. 05-06 cars just have less of a chance to spin rod bearings.... but rods are no stronger.

ANY 03-06 car can benefit from swapping out the internals and putting in 05-06 mains, as well as putting in an oiling system that is actually half decent. 5000 installed for rods/pistons is REALLY pushing it. bare bones rods and pistons are going to set you back minimum 3000-3500, and that is some pretty cheap stuff. Add in bearings, gaskets, balance, and labor, and you are WAAY north of 5000.00. Perhaps 5000.00 if the block is already out of the car and disassembled, and you arent shooting for a big numbers engine, just "stout" (5K will certainly not get you billet mains, studs or any block work to see 1000+)

Last edited:

Got_Vnum

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Do your homework. Don't get all giddy and emotional and rush through the decision to purchase. Take JonB up on his 10-minute Viper lesson and call Bill Pemberton at Woodhouse Dodge when you are ready to buy. There are a TON of wrecked Vipers for sale to unsuspecting buyers out there. You may pay dearly for not doing your homework beforehand.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you decide on a Gen II Give Bernie at bjmotors.biz a call. Or you can check out dodgevipersforsale.com as I have heard some good things about them as well.

With all this talk of weak rods it makes me glad I went for a Gen II.

You must be registered for see images attach

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am getting ready to buy my first viper and am doing a little research. Are there different viper packages? do some vipers come with more options than others. what is an ACR?

Try John Gastman at Roanoke Motors. I can PM you his cell number if you wish. He is extremely knowledgable and is easy to talk to, and not pushy. He spent a lot of time (hours) explaining things to me even though he was not sure I was going to buy anything. Good luck.