viper problems?

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My '95 has not had anything significant go wrong. 32000 trouble free miles. Build quality was very good. Prototype body '92 and early '93 cars are the only ones with lower build quality.

I for one do not plan on giving up my Gen I. I think it has more soul or personality than the Gen II and definitely more than a Gen III. Maybe that comes with the lack of creature comforts. I don't know for sure. But I can say that it is more fun for an afternoon drive. Maybe that raw, on the edge feel is what does it.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I love my Viper a whole heck of a lot, but it could use a better tranny, in my opinion. I'm on my second after only 16000 miles, and I wasn't ******* it. The T56 ****** warranty replacement tranny installed by dealer has a new distinct and different problem. Sigh! Corvette uses this tranny also, but with a low-torque mouse motor, those Chevys can't break 'em, I guess. Funny, but my tranny probs are not related to the V10s torque, so in the end, I'm still doubtful of the Tremec.

Other than that, I can't think of anything else thats bad on my vintage of Viper. Except there was a bad run of water pumps on some 2001's. Had mine changed, no more problems.

Still love this car to death, most satifying ownership experience of any car I have ever bought, and I have bought a few. Nothings quite like the Viper!

Birvini

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I liked the Gen I so much, I bought a Gen II!!!! Both are great cars, nothing like a Vette. Not slamming the Vette, I have one of those also. It's just nothing like a Viper.

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 2000 RT/10.
My problems:
1. Yellowing side sills due to heat generated from exhaust. (this can be covered under warranty)
2. Water leak!!! Last big rain storm, my interior was soaked.
3. Creaks, rattles.....but if you keep after it, that can go away. Probably no worse than any other tight-handling car.
4. Noticed a crack in my inner driver's door. Still yet to bring to my dealer to check out.

That's it.
Power is great
Looks are great
Generally very happy with the car. Hey, it's a VIPER. How can you go wrong? Except if you want an everyday driver....get a Vette. But I know I'll catch s**t for that one.

AC

snowmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm looking at the viper GTS's because of their raw power and awesome looks, but am concerned that without some kind of active handling system, I'LL be sliding the rear end off the road with bad results. can you control the viper at speed or does the torque just smoke the tires. I say this because out of the few american Le Mans series races that I've seen, the Vipers usually end up spinning out of the race in the first few corners. give any opinions and thoughts, Thanks!!!

I guess if you are going to do some serious racing, there are car out there that do handle better. If you are into power and looks, you got your man.

Magicboy2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do a search for "crash club".... yes it's plenty easy to wreck a Viper with an over-anxious right foot.

They're not complete monsters though, as there are plenty of people who haven't wrecked.

However, if you do need an electonic security blanket, I'm sure a chevy dealer will be able to hook you up with something "almost as fast" that will hold your hand. :)

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
VIPERS are street legal race cars. Treat them with respect and practice alot and you'll be fine. Try to show off or "see what she'll do" and you will be embarassed or hurt bad......very bad. My first week in a Viper I spun so bad I almost hit a gaurdrail. My second Viper is like a dream, but it doesn't seem all that fast anymore. Sean Roe supercharger coming soon.