Viper vs. Vette production 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yessir, Corvettes are mass-produced and as common as a belly button. But, they are still fun cars and haul ass for the buck. Vipers will always be more exclusive, this isn't a new discovery.

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it is interesting to see just how many Vettes they can punch out in a year and all the different combinations they offer. That is my biggest reason for not owning a vette or a mustang, the high production numbers and many options and price ranges. Not that I need to brag with my car but its nice to have something that not everyone and thier mother has.

NHL2133

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Someone worked the numbers once and it came out to 11.xx Vette's produced for every Viper between 92 and 02 (I think).

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't care what the Vett to Viper ratio is, Vetts are just plain uninspiring to me. Driving them is like driving a really fast Impala.

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't care what the Vett to Viper ratio is, Vetts are just plain uninspiring to me. Driving them is like driving a really fast Impala.

Not really. Vettes are damn nice cars and the best bang for the buck there is. I have had several including a C5 and C6. I had one of the first C6s in the country, and I have to say even it had no gawk factor. When i bought my first of 4 Vipers in 94 I remember thinking all the attention will go away. It never has and it is becuase of low production. If they made 30,000 vipers a year it would still look good, but no one would pay attention.

But, don't lose sight of the fact that Vettes are very nice/fast cars (and served as the mule for the first Viper) A lot of the performance changes to vipers have been as a result of the Vette. we owe a lot to chevy

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not really. Vettes are damn nice cars and the best bang for the buck there is. I have had several including a C5 and C6. I had one of the first C6s in the country, and I have to say even it had no gawk factor. When i bought my first of 4 Vipers in 94 I remember thinking all the attention will go away. It never has and it is becuase of low production. If they made 30,000 vipers a year it would still look good, but no one would pay attention.

But, don't lose sight of the fact that Vettes are very nice/fast cars (and served as the mule for the first Viper) A lot of the performance changes to vipers have been as a result of the Vette. we owe a lot to chevy

I said "to me", if you think Vettes are the best bang for your buck then have at it and enjoy. To me they are uninspiring.

And we don't owe anything to Chevy. Dodge built the Viper because there was a serious void in the market. A void Chevy, Porsche, Ferrari and the rest failed to fill. If anybody owes anything it's what Chevy and the Vette owe to Dodge, not that it matters.

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I said "to me", if you think Vettes are the best bang for your buck then have at it and enjoy. To me they are uninspiring.

And we don't owe anything to Chevy. Dodge built the Viper because there was a serious void in the market. A void Chevy, Porsche, Ferrari and the rest failed to fill. If anybody owes anything it's what Chevy and the Vette owe to Dodge, not that it matters.

I clearly wasn't referring to your personal statement that they are uninspiring which is obviously opinion . It was your statement of fact that they drive like Impalas. And , of course, you are right Chevy owes it all to Dodge, and Dodge owes Chevy nothing. There has not been much competition in the last few years each making the other better with the Z06, ACR, ZR-1.:rolleyes:

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmmmm... If Impalas drive as good as my Z06, I might have to test drive an Impala. Thanks for the tip!

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It goes just like this..... Since I own both I can say fairly accurately state the true facts. Wife asks me if I want to go for a ride....... I ask what car???? She responds ..... The Viper.... I love that car. This says it all.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score

To me too...you're certainly not alone on this Chuck.

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Porsche sold more cars in the US last year than all Vipers produced too. 32,533. Strange as I see way more Porsches where I live than Vettes....

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I clearly wasn't referring to your personal statement that they are uninspiring which is obviously opinion . It was your statement of fact that they drive like Impalas. And , of course, you are right Chevy owes it all to Dodge, and Dodge owes Chevy nothing. There has not been much competition in the last few years each making the other better with the Z06, ACR, ZR-1.:rolleyes:

Let's see.... the Viper was on top for *12 YEARS* before Chevy finally got Lutz (The man behind the Viper) to get anywhere near competitive to a Viper.

Nope... the whole auto industry owes Dodge for the Viper. It invigorated the industry and launched the HP wars. 1992... vettes owners were drooling over 200HPs. What a joke. NOBODY cared about HPs until the Viper came and took everyone's candy at the track.

lankhoss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let's see.... the Viper was on top for *12 YEARS* before Chevy finally got Lutz (The man behind the Viper) to get anywhere near competitive to a Viper.

Nope... the whole auto industry owes Dodge for the Viper. It invigorated the industry and launched the HP wars. 1992... vettes owners were drooling over 200HPs. What a joke. NOBODY cared about HPs until the Viper came and took everyone's candy at the track.

Let's see, the Viper was about 30k more than a Corvette until the C6 Z, and even then a fully loaded Z06 was still 12k less than a Viper (about 20k difference in base price). Are these two cars SUPPOSED to be equal in performance?

Also, in '92 the LT1 had 300bhp, and the LT4 had 330 a couple years later. The last Vette that was rated at 200hp was the 1984 Vette with the Crossfire FI motor.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
.. the whole auto industry owes Dodge for the Viper. It invigorated the industry and launched the HP wars. 1992... vettes owners were drooling over 200HPs. What a joke. NOBODY cared about HPs until the Viper came and took everyone's candy at the track.

B I N G O ! On all points, especially the (Lutz years) FIA-GT / LeMans / ALMS of 97-98-99-00. Excellent point. Playing "CATCH UP" has been to catch what ? VIPER !
Now: Nurburgring ?? Same thing happened in 69-72..MOPAR !!!

Alexarz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with Chuck about his Impala reference. I have driven several Z06's and while they feel just as fast as my Vipers, they don't feel as though I am driving a special car. Instead, they feel like any other car excapt that they are faster. When I sat in a Viper, before buying one, it felt special and I liked the interior much more than that of the Z06.

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No Vettes were made in 84. they spent the year on redesigning it. I do not know why I know this. My bad it was 83

Bruce

lankhoss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No Vettes were made in 84. they spent the year on redesigning it. I do not know why I know this. My bad it was 83

Bruce

Just a little fun fact....1983 is the only year the Corvette was not produced, since its inception in 1953. The car is almost 60 years old now!

They also had a 1983 Vette at the museum. Ugly car, but it was cool to see one.

johniew398

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with Chuck about his Impala reference. I have driven several Z06's and while they feel just as fast as my Vipers, they don't feel as though I am driving a special car. Instead, they feel like any other car excapt that they are faster. When I sat in a Viper, before buying one, it felt special and I liked the interior much more than that of the Z06.

Ok, I own both.

C6 Z06: more refined but will absolutely just haul ass and keep you out of trouble for the most part.

Viper ACR: one bad ass car described as "loud, crude and fast."
Not refined but definitely a fun car to drive at slow or fast speeds.

If I had to get rid of one which one would I shed? It would have to be the Vette but only because no one ever pays any attention to it yet the Viper is photographed several times each time I take it out.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, I own both.

C6 Z06: more refined but will absolutely just haul ass and keep you out of trouble for the most part.

That's probably what contributes to the Vett's blandness. When I drive a SUV, minivan or really fast Impala I don't mind a safety net to keep me out of trouble. When I drive a sports car I want the sport of driving, which requires attention, skill and comes with a certain amount of risk.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There has not been much competition in the last few years each making the other better with the Z06, ACR, ZR-1.:rolleyes:

Dodge has been bumping HP since 1992. 400-420-450-460-510-600. Whether Chevy has bumped HP or not, I really don't think Dodge would have cared. In fact, I don't even think Dodge pays much attention to what Chevy is doing. Seems like Chevy always releases their HP increase after Dodge and even when they do they come up short.

I can just picture SRT sitting around the breakroom talking about a thread they stumbled across - "Hey guys, GM issued another over-hyped press release about their new and improved Vett."

"Have they finally come within 100 hp of us yet?"

"Yeah, apparently they had to supercharge the dang thing."

"Well, no fear of that POS doing many laps. Pass the donuts."

lankhoss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dodge has been bumping HP since 1992. 400-420-450-460-510-600. Whether Chevy has bumped HP or not, I really don't think Dodge would have cared. In fact, I don't even think Dodge pays much attention to what Chevy is doing. Seems like Chevy always releases their HP increase after Dodge and even when they do they come up short.

I can just picture SRT sitting around the breakroom talking about a thread they stumbled across - "Hey guys, GM issued another over-hyped press release about their new and improved Vett."

"Have they finally come within 100 hp of us yet?"

"Yeah, apparently they had to supercharge the dang thing."

"Well, no fear of that POS doing many laps. Pass the donuts."

This post makes absolutely no sense. Since '92 the Corvette has gone from 300 (up from 245 in 1990) - 330 - 350 - 400 - 430. The Z06 in '01 made 385, then 405 then 505.

The Z06 was rated within 5hp of the GenIII Viper, and ended up actually dyno'ing higher. The reason there was no Viper in '07 is because the Z06 was beating up on it, and they pulled it to add 120hp.

Not once has the horsepower from a GM vehicle "fallen short." They are normally under-rated, but the ZR1 was an exception since it is the only SAE certified motor meaning it must be within 2% (I believe) of the advertised hp. I'm pretty sure this is why it was originally reported as 620hp, then bumped up to the odd number of 638.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I've pondered this thread for a while and I've concluded that the news of more Vettes being manufactured than Vipers has had no change on my opinion on the matter since I first read about this 3 years ago. I still dislike Vettes...they are boring and all too common...and boring. Did I mention boring? I dislike some Vette owners too...not all of them but a few. I thank the OP for posting up this obvious fact of Vette production because it makes me appreciate how unique our hand-built Vipers truly are.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I've pondered this thread for a while and I've concluded that the news of more Vettes being manufactured than Vipers has had no change on my opinion on the matter since I first read about this 3 years ago. I still dislike Vettes...they are boring and all too common...and boring. Did I mention boring? I dislike some Vette owners too...not all of them but a few. I thank the OP for posting up this obvious fact of Vette production because it makes me appreciate how unique our hand-built Vipers truly are.

yawn... you make me sleepy with all this talk of vettes

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let's see, the Viper was about 30k more than a Corvette until the C6 Z, and even then a fully loaded Z06 was still 12k less than a Viper (about 20k difference in base price). Are these two cars SUPPOSED to be equal in performance?

Now the ZR1 is 30k more than the ACR... and STILL got trounced at the Ring. I guess money don't buy you everything. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.