viper vs vette vs gt! REMATCH!!! this time by MT

sween

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yes, yes the mt tested these three great cars. now lets get to the results
who won what

acceleration fgt, 2nd place vette, 3rd place viper :(
1.6 mile course 1st place vette, 2nd place viper, 3rd place fgt :)
braking 1st place viper, 2nd place vette, 3rd place fgt :cool:
grip tie 1st place viper and vette, 3rd place fgt :laugh:
mt figure 8 1st place viper, 2nd place vette, 3rd place fgt :cool:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?p=1552543074&posted=1#post1552543074

its hard to read but you can read the graphs :usa:

DBK1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So the Z06 won in acceleration, road course time, and matched the 60-0 braking, lateral g's(which is an overated magazine racer stat anyways) and was within 3 ft from 100-0? Which would you say is the better performer in a one word answer? I know which I'd pick if racing of any kind was my only concern.

I'm not trying to start anything because the Viper obviously has things no tarted up Vette ever will(like looks, the fact you don't see one overy 3 miles, etc, the fact it's still a bad motherf*****n car in general), but don't try mixing in too much kool-aid here. The categories people care about (who is faster in a straight line, who is faster around a race track) were taken care of by the Vette, by large margins. Did you ever think you'd see a stock Corvette trap 5mph higher than a 500+ horse Viper? Those that people don't (who can go pull the most g's in a circle, who can hit a dead stop from 100) were a wash.

If I'm a Viper loyalist, I'm not saying whoopee we tied in lateral G's, I'm saying hey SRT, give me another 100hp to shove up Dave Hill's ass. I know it's hard for anyone to take the kool-aid fest that is Corvetteforum, but Sween is always over there stirrin the ***...

FikseGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yea, head's up the Viper got beat pretty good... I think the only thing it beat the vette at was 100-0, by 3 feet... should be interesting to hear some more excuses...

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
S

sween

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know it's hard for anyone to take the kool-aid fest that is Corvetteforum, but Sween is always over there stirrin the ***...

*** are you talking about ive been there about two times. stirren up the *** ya i misread something two minutes ago and i said sorry for that. :confused:

nazology

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whats everyone going so crazy for about this new Z06 it's a great car, hands down. The Viper has been the king since 2003. Someone caught up. In a few years Dodge will have it back. It's a cycle.

FikseGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
cycle? what cycle, the Viper has been king since it arrived in 1992.... try about 13 years! I hope they don't let it die like the NSX did....

OP
OP
S

sween

Enthusiast
Reaction score
nope viper has been king since about 1995. i have magizanes and they all said the vetts better. so for about 10 years. (this is by what the magizanes say)

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is great news. Now maybe the SCCA T1 (unofficially known as "The Vette Class") will eliminate all the Viper restrictions and let the two go head to head.

Nah. Not a chance.

Mach10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whats everyone going so crazy for about this new Z06 it's a great car, hands down. The Viper has been the king since 2003. Someone caught up. In a few years Dodge will have it back. It's a cycle.

Well said..
But i think the Viper has been on top a little longer then that.

Hirohawa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sween

The Viper was laways considered a better car thna the ZR1. The ZR1 was and is not considered a sucess, it was very expensive and not enough were purchased and that is why production ended in 1995 with only approx 550 units sold.

And you do stir things up on the vette board but in a funny way. Kind of like a clown or a court jester.

Thanks

Steve

CAS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We don't need another 100 horsepower. We need a big weight reduction, and fast.

96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the words of Adam ******* "Well woop-dee-doo!" I could care less about a magazine test. Those are professional drivers under controlled conditions. They were driving cars that were tuned by the best possible mechanics. Good luck reproducing the same results at a stop light. The 3 cars are very close in performance, and fairly close in price. Buy the car you like and stop worrying about what some magazine said. Vettes are everywhere and I'm not crazy about the looks of the FGT or SRT-10, so I'll stick with my GTS. There's ALWAYS going to be someone faster, so get the car that speaks to your soul......regardless of what badge it wears.

safireviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Only if the Germans care and I don't think they do. ( Viper was WAY ahead since it's debut but Mercedes let that die, too )

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My math is bad, or something else is up. At 60mph the Vette is .2 seconds ahead, by 100mph the Viper is.8 seconds behind. The weight difference is 276 lbs. The torque difference is 65 ft.lbs! the HP diff is 5. The Viper has slightly wider rear tires and better weight distribution. AND IT IS ALMOST 5mph slower in the 1/4? That's getting smoked. No contest. Does DC realize the 'samples' they are providing the car rags are (cough, nudge, wink wink) DOGS? They should provide a well broken in 'best case' sample. The image is now tarnished, and I will only say to the Vette crowd, congrats - you have the faster factory car. The words 'trade-in' are starting to cross my mind.....

Oh well, it was time for a new ride anyway. Three years would be a record for me.

Mastiff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For every 100lbs it usually equals about a 10th of a second in the 1/4 mile. Torque doesnt have as much to do with the acceleration once the car is half way down the track as horsepower does.

So with the weight disadvantage figure the Viper loses 3 tenths in the 1/4 mile. The Viper, with its extra torgue that peaks at a lower rpm than the vette, needs to be launched a little more gracefully plus it needs to be shifted sooner than the vette.

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My math is bad, or something else is up. At 60mph the Vette is .2 seconds ahead, by 100mph the Viper is.8 seconds behind. The weight difference is 276 lbs. The torque difference is 65 ft.lbs! the HP diff is 5. The Viper has slightly wider rear tires and better weight distribution. AND IT IS ALMOST 5mph slower in the 1/4? That's getting smoked. No contest. Does DC realize the 'samples' they are providing the car rags are (cough, nudge, wink wink) DOGS? They should provide a well broken in 'best case' sample. The image is now tarnished, and I will only say to the Vette crowd, congrats - you have the faster factory car. The words 'trade-in' are starting to cross my mind.....

Oh well, it was time for a new ride anyway. Three years would be a record for me.

the new C6 Z06 has more aggressive gearing. this makes it acclearate faster in the 1/4. give the viper that same 3.42 rear gear and it will be a much closer race

terminator02

Viper Owner
Reaction score

the new C6 Z06 has more aggressive gearing. this makes it acclearate faster in the 1/4. give the viper that same 3.42 rear gear and it will be a much closer race

Every post I have made, has never bashed the Viper..nor the new vette. Unfortunately changing the gearing of a car is very expensive. I assume it is still expensive with the Viper. Chevy nailed it with the z06. Good gearing, good tires, dry sump, great weight, good hp. In 2005 it can be considered the perfect car for the money. I like the image of a Viper better, I do think there is a price for exclusivity, and I do enjoy the styling of the viper as well. But the new z06 is still a great looking sports car ( The subtle differences to a regular C6 make it look a lot better overall) and has better overall performance. In the next two years, I will be in the market for a higher end car to replace my 03 cobra, and 03 350z. If the Viper is still struggling I would have no problem being in "just a vette" but having that world class performance. I want the best bang for my dollar (within reason) and if I have to sacrifice some looks and SEXclusivity to do so...that will be fine by me. Lets just say I REALLY hope DC answers and gives us a peak at what we can expect from the company in the next few years.

Viper23

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This thread *****...like any other thread by some magazine. Why is everyone so caught up about what a magazine test shows?

The only thing that matters is that the next time you go out to the drags and you will see who is really faster.

BTW, let GM keep their 3.42 gears...wait until they try and add more power...I can promise that the gears are first to go...

FikseGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
heh.... 5 MPH trap speed difference in the 1/4 mile is NOT very close... that's getting a nice *** kicking... close in price? 68k to 87k to 167k is close in price???? magazine test or not, SRT-10 or GTS, stock for stock, you're going to get the beat down....

even though my GTS is 10 years older than the new vette, it still bugs me that the vette is quicker... :)

and it would REALLY get on my nerves if I just bought a new SRT-10 Coupe, and the Vette would still be quicker.... of course it would be even worse if Dodge came out with a higher HP model of the Coupe a year later because it was getting beaten up by the Vette....

I think this will hurt the Coupe sales..... most everyone is thinking and wanting a quicker Viper Coupe.... and Dodge has to do something, or the Viper will become the overpriced poser that the NSX was....

first they annouce the Vette will run mid 11's at 125+ MPH... then everyone says, yea right, we'll see, then it does.... then everyone says, who cares, they didn't run the Vette against the Viper head to head under the same conditions..... then they do, two separate magazines do, and the result is basically the same... now we say, who cares about the controlled tests....

here is a real slip from a non-tester car...

http://www.dragtimes.com/Chevrolet-Corvette-Timeslip-6750.html

In the words of Adam ******* "Well woop-dee-doo!" I could care less about a magazine test. Those are professional drivers under controlled conditions. They were driving cars that were tuned by the best possible mechanics. Good luck reproducing the same results at a stop light. The 3 cars are very close in performance, and fairly close in price. Buy the car you like and stop worrying about what some magazine said. Vettes are everywhere and I'm not crazy about the looks of the FGT or SRT-10, so I'll stick with my GTS. There's ALWAYS going to be someone faster, so get the car that speaks to your soul......regardless of what badge it wears.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have no fear Viperlovers...DC made sure that since the overweight and flabby Snake cant handle the Z06 anymore you can call on big brother to pummel those pesky Z06s in a highway pull...BTW the big brother outweights the Viper by over 800-1000 lbs but can still put a hurting on the Z06 with a simple reflash and 3" exhaust...Dont think exhaust and Vec are gonna get the snake to beat a c6 Z06...Ill continue to dispise DC[like it matters] till they come to their senses. Didnt want to spend money on recertifing a more powerful engine? Fine...Just put the coupe on a diet and give it better handling and gearing. Gee with the budget SRT was given dont see why this couldnt have been done. Would have been nice if the Coupe could beat the Z06 in at least one performance catagory besides braking...Cant keep up in a straight line or on track. F@#k exclusivity. The Viper was about competition crushing performance first and foremost..All else is secondary.

Heres a vid of big brother doing what the Snake used to know how to do lol...

http://videos.streetfire.net/Player.aspx?fileid=F34F7979-BE80-4427-8F4A-4D36A73346FC&kw=2&p=0

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Big brother in that video was modified. Vette was stock.

I said that in my post...BTW Traynor stock SL Benz[?] with the similar motor trapped 125mph...So stock its right there with the Vette in a straight line and his was the 4 door I believe. Id bet that any one of those 604hp Benz can stay with the Vette on the top end...Cant say that about the Viper in a straightline or even around the track. Think about it...On this short track the Viper got clobbered by a little over 1 second showcasing the Vettes handling prowess..Imagine if it had been a longer track where the Vettes superior acceleration would have shined..It would have been really ugly for the Viper...So much for thinking the SRT coupe could even come close to running with the Vette on the Nurburgring...

Viper is still a fast car but it has lost its looks and performance advantage over cars in its class. In mho thats what made the Gen I's and II's sell and achieve Icon status...Yeah people lamented about the interior, cabin heat, stiff suspension and all around crudeness...But when the GTS got hold of the competition on the track in its hay day all that nitpicking and whining from the competitlon turned into begrudging respect and in some instances fear...Those Vipers took no prisoners and just laid waste to pricier competition not just Vettes of its day all the while looking incredibly exotic...Can you blame me for not liking what the Viper has become especially when DC had the means to keep that legacy going?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang