Viper vs Viper... .2 seconds

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Close... half mile race was 13.xx seconds (dammnn!)

F-16 pulled it off by .2

The dodge spun off the line... too much rev.

Still ugly.. but it has balls!!!

MM

USAF BAD ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT COLOR="Blue"><FONT size="6">FLY BOYS RULE!!!!</FONT s></FONT c>

If I get an f-16 slot it will be the coolest thing in the world to fly a viper at work, and drive a viper for play!!! Or are they both play???? Can you really call flying that jet work??

OP
OP
M

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That ACR that the superman guy was looking at looked much better than the SRT in the test...
smile.gif

MM

OP
OP
M

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
He dumped the clutch@3K RPM.. duhh.... wonder why he spun
rolleyes.gif

The car would have won with a good holeshot.

MM

USAF BAD ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeah, notice how he was talking about the ACR at the end, and he said the interior looked like a fighter cockpit, and they cut to a inside shot of the 03 SRT, then back to him with the ACR
rolleyes.gif

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Of course they were using the Viper (car, that is) in "street trim". How about SLICKS?? Viper (car, that is) WINS !!!
Later,

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the show was excellent but there was only one problem.Were was the comp coupe in the middle of all this?Now here's my question for you guys.Did the comp coupe win?

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was the race a 1/4 mile or 1/2 mile?

A 13 sec 1/2 mile seems a little quick, even for the SRT?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MadMaxx:
Close... half mile race was 13.xx seconds (dammnn!)

F-16 pulled it off by .2

The dodge spun off the line... too much rev.

Still ugly.. but it has balls!!!

MM
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

red98GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The full story of what really happened is covered in detail in the VIPER magazine. Funny.....they didn't show the new comp coupe running the jet. Too bad. I was kinda looking forward to that. pete

gtsviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The SRT looked and sounded great. Too bad the show was not on NASCARVISION instead of TBS/Ripleys. Putting the Vipers on between the wolfman and the regurgitator doesn't do either Viper justice. Now if the chick with the alligators was driving, Herb would be back on the drawing board.

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wonder if the jet was doing a MAX A/B takeoff? Them mentioned its A/Bs were on as it lifted off....

I know for a fact that the F15 Streak Eagle would have totally smoked the Viper.

They held it down with explosive bolts, went to MAX A/B, blew the bolts and the results were insane.

I'm trying to get this info verified because although I saw the video at Pratt & Whitney I don't remember it precisely.

Anyhow, I believe the F15 lifted off in 7 plane lengths(!) and it went supersonic in 17 seconds.

The thrust to weight was well over 1:1 which means the F15 accel'd at over 1G.

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by USAF BAD ASP:
<FONT COLOR="Blue"><FONT size="6">FLY BOYS RULE!!!!</FONT s></FONT c>

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

usa-clear-s.gif
patriotx.gif
BURNOUT.gif

VOI9 ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did anyone notice the tires on the SRT-10 were white letter Michelins?

I think the SRT looked great. I still don't understand why others don't care for it.

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I must say (although it ain't in the budget anytime soon) the SRT-10 is growing on me!!!

Tomer

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The completely stock SRT destroyed the jet in the 1/4 mile and lost by only .2 sec at the 1/2 mile point which is very impressive! SRT 1/2 mile at 13.7 sec...WOW!

OP
OP
M

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would have liked to see the comp coupe go at it w/ the plane..

I don't get why dodge WONT build the coupe version of the SRT!? I'd buy one! I just HATE the looks of the no sport-cap SRT.. as where the comp coupe looks LOW and MEAN, the way a viper should.

MM

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MadMaxx:
I just HATE the looks of the no sport-cap SRT.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree. Apparently there were enough whimps that b*tched and whined for a "true convertible." So the sport cap needed to be removed to make it a "true convertible."

Sad.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Think about it...13.XX in the 1/2 mile? Anyone who believes this is in lala land. IF the SRT could do the 1/4 mile in 11 flat, that would give it a tick over 2 seconds to cover the OTHER 1/4 mile. AT 180mph it would take about 5 seconds to cover that distance.

By the way, if you have a TiVo or digital harddrive, do a frame by frame of the start. The F-16 got a couple tenths jump start over the SRT....

USAF BAD ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tom and Vipers:

The thrust to weight was well over 1:1 which means the F15 accel'd at over 1G.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My viper accelerates at over 1g. Just sitting here in my office I'm at one G.

I think the 15 is our only plane (that the public knows about) in our inventory that will actually accelerate while going straight up.
hail[1].gif
eek.gif
But, it's not called a viper, so it wouldn't have been as cool.

If he'd have done a better holeshot he'd probably have won like mm said. Those runways are serrated and very rough. Probably great for traction if he would have just launched right.

Venom Lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys, I don't see how 1/2 mile in 13.7 sec can be right.

Let's say for sake of argument the 1/4 mile was accomplished in 12 sec at 120 mph (not likely if Helbig totally smoked the tires off the line as stated above, but let's give the benefit of the doubt). Let's say the average speed in the "2nd half" of the half mile is 150 mph. You can do the math. It takes 6 sec to go 1/4 mile at 150 mph. So, the total half mile ET would be 18 sec....

Venom Lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by USAF BAD ASP:
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not to get all technical (and sorry if you were joking and I'm being dense), but the 1g acceleration you have sitting in your chair is in a downward direction, which is not helpful for moving you forward (as in a drag race).

If you can pull 0-60 in 4.0 sec, that corresponds to an average accleration of 22 ft/sec^2, which is 0.69g. You have to run 0-60 in 2.75 sec to get an average forward acceleration of 1g.

Again, sorry if you were just joking.

So, tell us about those planes that we don't know about....
wink.gif

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It seems that every couple of years, the F16 receives an upgraded engine. The original P&W F100 which was used in the F15 has received a number of major upgrades. They do stuff like increase the length of the fan blade an INCH and increase the shaft speed 1000 rpm. They've done this at least twice with the 2nd variant being the PW229.

I am going to put together the latest info on the F16 and F15 and the Streak Eagle and post it here. It may take me a little while but I will do it.

I did see an F1 car (maybe CART or IRL) go at it with an F18 on TV and it looked like the car got about 7 car lengths ahead of the jet and the jet started reeling him in. The video snippit stopped stopped when the car quit pulling the jet.

VEETENN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe the F18 will also accelerate on the vertical.

I think the 15 is our only plane (that the public knows about) in our inventory that will actually accelerate while going straight up.
hail[1].gif
eek.gif
But, it's not called a viper, so it wouldn't have been as cool.

If he'd have done a better holeshot he'd probably have won like mm said. Those runways are serrated and very rough. Probably great for traction if he would have just launched right.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have I missed something? When did they start calling the F-16 a viper? I thought it was the Fighting Falcon?!?!