VOI.8 .... YES!

viperweb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Colorado Springs would be an ideal place (Bill P gave all the reasons). I can even house one or two people at my house!

Larry Dole

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Possible VIO8 locations. I am also a member of the BMWCCA club. They have a yearly get together called "Oktoberfest" although they generally do not have them in October. Last year they had their event at Waterville Vally Ski resort in NH. The track they used was in Louden NH some of you might know this track. This resort sits very close to Mt Washington, bumper sticker (this viper climbed Mt Washington)great roads for a rally. This year they were in Keystone Co, and used the Second Creek Raceway. I believe this is near Denver.

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Steve Ferguson:
If you want to see a VOI in any area all you have to do is a few things and then forward that info on to Viper Headquarters:

1- Find a Hotel with at least 800 rooms and a banquet facility for 1,500.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I still feel the requirement of putting all the people in one hotel is something that should be reconsidered as it really limits the choices... If if it took two hotels, across the street from each other, what would be wrong with that? Yes it would be a little harder to coordinate and negotiate contracts, but if the location was exceptional, the little extra effort would be worth it.

Colorado sounds like a neat idea, never been there when there is no snow on the ground, but I like the sounds of it..... would hate to think the Hotel deal would kill it as a potential location. The Hotel used in that Steven King movie (The Shining?) looked big enough, it was in colorado, right?
smile.gif

From the Colorado Springs site listed a few post above:

"Second-tier cities provide great value and special services for meetings and groups. Colorado Springs is well positioned to take advantage of its second-tier status. Room inventory stands at nearly 13,000 rooms, with community-wide meeting and exhibition space at over 495,000 square feet. Colorado Springs has seen rapid growth of hotel room inventory in the past three years through a combination of additions to existing properties and the opening of several new value-service properties. Many of the value-service properties are clustered around full-service properties, providing planners with excellent overflow opportunities for their delegates. Meeting and convention suppliers of transportation, rental equipment, entertainment,and other support services help to poise Colorado Springs as a first-class destination with second-tier pricing.

The area's scenic beauty, abundance of attractions, recreational opportunities, and year-round special events create unlimited opportunities for delegates and planners to relax when not participating in meeting and convention sessions. Unique shopping and dining opportunities in downtown Colorado Springs, Old Colorado City, and Manitou Springs or gambling in Cripple Creek further enhance the community as a meeting destination. And, the new Colorado Springs World Arena is a world-class, multipurpose facility. The main facility quickly converts from an ice rink to a basketball court, exhibit floor, or meeting hall.

The staff of the Colorado Springs Convention and Visitors Bureau interacts with virtually all segments of the local travel industry - hotels, airlines, bus companies, car rental companies, restaurants, attractions, etc. to save planners time and money. And, Bureau services are provided free of charge. Just call 1-800-888-4748, extension 125 to speak with one of the Bureau's capable professionals.

Jack, I say we call and challenge them!

Andy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got back from Colorado Springs, and agree that it would be a good location. The front door of our office there opened to a view of pikes peak. That alone was worth the trip.

We had a flat tire in our car on the way back from dinner one night. This is 11:30pm on a weeknight. People stopped one after another to offer help. That definitely doesn't happen in DC.

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it is Colorado Springs, it MUST be within 1 week of the Pikes Peak Hillclimb.

Anything else would be.... er, well.... wastefull!

And if Sturgis, again, it MUST be within 1 week of Bike Week!

Jack

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The Colorado Springs Convetion & Tourism Bureau is putting a proposal together, they believe they can do quite a bit better than that.

Jack Janney

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You know, if it is Colorado Springs, I will stay one extra week and drive the mountain roads.

I would get real PUMPED for Colorado Springs.

I have ALWAYS wanted to assault the Rocky Mountains!

Russ Oasis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anywhere in Colorado is a great idea for VOI 8. Colorado Springs would be perfect. I also like the New England idea. Sturgis is not right for us. The bikers sleep in tents on people's front lawns. Some have to stay miles away (I did Sturgis on a bike 2 years ago for the bike week). Sturgis just isn't set up in a convention manner. Speaking of self serving, Miami would be great. There are 2 tracks nearby, Moroso and Homestead. The only problem is that there are no good rally roads around here. If it was held in the middle of the winter, there would be lots of happy Northern Viper owners. I think I still like Bill Pemberton's idea the best though. Colorado Springs.

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe this is the largest hotel/convention center in Colorado Springs:

http://www.broadmoor.com/

It has 700 rooms and 3000 acres.

There are other hotels down town suchas the Double Tree (299 rooms) and the Antlers Adam's mark (292 rooms.)

The Colorado Springs Convention Visitors Bureau's number is (800) 368-4748 for information about conventions in the area.

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am moving to Hawaii. Let's do it in two years, start saving money now! Who would object to that? Make it a ten day stay. Fed Ex the cars. (Hey, they do it in Cart!)

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't we have any Navy connections? Load them on the carrier? It could be a promo for the Navy? Don't let the Hawaii dream die! Keep ideas coming!

FUSCUCLA1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tom and Vipers:
Hummmmmmmm, with about 400 cars, I wonder if we could charter a boat and make it an ocean voyage/VOI in Hawaii?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now this sounds great, but I think its a 4-5 day trip/sail each way. Include 4-5 VOI days and thats a 12-15 day trip from So Cal (round trip). The rest of the country still needs more days to get here and go home from here. Unless you fly home from California and ship your car.

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, a Viper cruise on a Navy carrier!

What a fantasy.

Would never happen.

Could you imagine all the complaints about wasting US tax dollars?

Nice thought though!

I'm still gung ** for Colorado Springs.

When you add that 3rd dimension, driving sort of becomes flying!

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...actually, regarding mountains, I wonder if it has something to do with the fact that when you drive on the flat, you do not affect your gravitational potential energy?

When you go up a mountain, you are battling GPE!

It's kinda' hard to explain...

MiamiJeff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
More in the self serving department for VOI-8 or VOI-9:

The Fontainebleau Hilton on Miami Beach has 1,200 rooms and can handle banquets of more than twice that amount. As Russ pointed out, we have Moroso and Homestead tracks nearby. Plenty of shopping and nightlife within minutes of the hotel. Great (and dry) weather limited to the winter months however can pose a problem for northern folks looking to drive their cars instead of shipping them via Reliable.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Born in Tampa , so Miami sounds good, but I put in the good word for Colorado Springs ,as we haven't had a Owner's Invitational out West for awhile. Seems a wonderful compromise for the West Coast folks, and a big draw for the International members. The drives we could all make out in that area are beyond belief!

Joe Dozzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While I'd be all in favor of VOI here in Colorado, there are performance compromises to consider...

The hp loss at ~6000 ft above sea level due simply to the less dense air is BIG, approximately 3 percent per 1000 ft in elevation. That translates to ~75 hp...

I know how much I enjoy the "extra" power I get when I go to lower elevations. When I try and imagine the reverse - the disappointment / complaining - when 1000 Viper owners "lose" big hp, I think Dallas / Ft Worth or Las Vegas or anywhere nearer sea level would be a better choice.

Downside might be each participant spending big bucks to "find" the missing 75+ hp...

I guess this could also be a big upside for vendors!

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh sure, NOW think about Colorado Springs after I move from there to L.A.(Lower Alabama)
laugh.gif
It would be a wonderful spot to do VOI 8 assuming it is done when the Pike's Peak hill climb is going on, but keep in mind that the only staight track (1/8 mile) is in Pueblo and it is not the greatest. Maybe they will extend and fixed it for the Viper boys and Dodge.......

viperweb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 96 R/T 10:
Oh sure, NOW think about Colorado Springs after I move from there to L.A.(Lower Alabama)
laugh.gif
It would be a wonderful spot to do VOI 8 assuming it is done when the Pike's Peak hill climb is going on, but keep in mind that the only staight track (1/8 mile) is in Pueblo and it is not the greatest. Maybe they will extend and fixed it for the Viper boys and Dodge.......

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bandimere Speedway in Denver is not that far away and is an excellent facility.

gtsviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The last few have been central and east coast so lets have the next Invitational on the west coast. We have the most Vipers in CA and the most members in VCA SoCal. We would be happy to be your hosts.

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think a lot of people have gone to Kalifornia and Florida.

But how many people have driven the Rocky Mountains?

Passing a slow truck with 4 cars behind it on a 2-lane highway at 10,000 ft. can ONLY be done with a Viper or better!

Driving where you need every last bit of HP to pass is a blast!

mjguflaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A few responses regarding Miami:

1) VOI is now pretty big, 1600 folks this go round. That cuts down the choices quite a bit!

-Miami Beach has more models per capita than any other city in the world. There's probably have a dozen or so for each of us. I'll take full responsibility for divying them up amongst us.

2) A "Viper Friendly" city.

- Miami Beach is a money friendly city. Viper=Money. Miami Beach = Viper friendly.

3) Area offers a "scenic drive" opportunity.

-Did I mention the models....

4) Area offers "other items of interest" for any "Non-Viperholic's" that may come to the event

- As incredible a nightlife as you will find anywhere. The hottest 1/10th of one percent of women in one place, wearing almost nothing, and in a partying mood. Leave the kiddies at home, party till 7:00 a.m., then roll into breakfast with a size 2 blonde under each arm. That, my friends, is livin'
cool.gif