Water/Methanol Alternatives?

jdoc7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
With all the talk about water/**** recently, just wondering if anyone has tried alternative substances like denatured alcohol, just water, or blends like ****+NOS or denatured alcohol+NOS. Here's some food for thought from another board:
I have been doing some research and haven't found much concrete evidence. My questions is...

Which of the following are street legal (not including CA) and cat/engine friendly?

a) Water Injection - This is pretty obvious that the answer is street legal and it is cat and engine friendly.

b) Methanol - Cat safe. Somewhat corrosive on the engine although mixed with gas in small quantities will most likely not cause any damage. The 1990 Clean Air Act lists methanol as an alternative fuel source but doesn't seem to apply to methanol injection. Any other documented info is appreciated.

c) Methanol/Water Injection (Windshield Wiper Fluid) - Cat safe. Less corrosive due to it being diluted with water. No documented info on street legality although if pure methanol is street legal, this would be also.
(Slowcar) a word of caution using windshield washer fluid. It contains additives like coloring and detergent when when allow to dry out will crust and clog injectors. Better to go with deionized water + methanol.
This site tells you the mixing ratios in v/v% and w/w%.

d) Denatured Alchohol - Safe on cat. Not sure on corrosiveness. Not sure on street legality when injected. (BMan) Denatured alcohol is mostly ethanol (ethyl alcohol) with some methanol mixed in to make it unfit for human consumption as a liquor (non-taxable). Ethanol is also used as a renewable fuel (ie; used in gasahol).

All of these could lead to engine damage if the quantity of fluid is not sufficient or with improper tuning.

All of these are cat save. (Slowcar) All alcohols are composed of carbon, oxygen and hydrogen - they all are cat friendly. Things that kill cat are organometallics like tetraethyl lead and manganese compounds used to boost octane, kills O2 sensors over time too.

Here's also a link to Powermist which specializes in racing fuels, methanol, and racing blends which can be ordered and shipped to your door. I haven't contacted them so I don't know anything about pricing and quantities. If anyone calls them, please post back your findings here.
http://www.powermist.com/methanols.html