Went in for a free car wash and came out with a new Viper!

dyeguy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, the story is over. Jon B. and Bill Pemberton gave me invaluable advice about how to get this thing totalled. They advised me to wait til after the repair bill was written then bring up the issue of diminished value to the insurance company. Jon had me run 3 comps of vipers (in my year, mileage & condition)and give them to the insurance co. I also found a comparable viper that had been in an accident and was repaired and was selling for $15,000 less and submitted that ad as well.
Bill Pemberton wrote me a letter (Jon offered to also) which detailed his expertise with viper values. He really sold the diminished value concept by saying that I would probably lose $10K - $20K in resale value. The repair bill came to $28,000 and they knew I would hit them for at least $10K in DV which means they would have paid out $38,000 to repair it. We showed them how if they totalled it for $48,000 they could sell the car for salvage for at least $20,000 so they would only pay out $28,000 or less.
So that's what they did.They paid me $48,000 & let me keep my wheels and tires. Bought a new one here locally that is twice the car as the one I had. Has belanger headers and exhaust, polished valve covers, carbon fiber intake, roller rockers, lifters, Ron Davis radiator, CCW wheels (which I just sold for $3,000), complete carbon fiber dash and door sills, gear change, hardwired radar, laser detector/laser jammer $3,000 stereo with 10"sub, alarm system, etc etc I keep finding more stuff on this car everyday. It was dynoed at 553 hp.
Jon B., Bill Pemberton and all you guys on here that helped with the kind words I greatly appreciate it!

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p21/dyeguy_bucket/blueviperpics007.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayIS...305684&rd=1,1

OP
OP
D

dyeguy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I stopped by the car wash where the whole thing happened to show the owner the car as he asked me to let him know how it worked out. He said another guy in a Viper came by a few days after mine had gotten totalled and they washed it for him but insisted he pull it around back himself! Said he thinks the guy told him he bought it from Jason Sehorn of the NY Giants.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats! Jon and Bill are great guys here... no one from eBay will write your insurance a letter, that's for sure. ;)

now THERE'S a perfect example of great supporters of the Viper community :headbang:

I am glad everything worked out for you

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JonB helped me in a similar fashion when a mechanic wrecked my first Viper. It had a similar result.

my viper

enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats! Jon and Bill are great guys here... no one from eBay will write your insurance a letter, that's for sure. ;)

now THERE'S a perfect example of great supporters of the Viper community :headbang:

I am glad everything worked out for you

I second that comment. Very glad things worked out to the best.

Congrats!!

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You've learnt one lesson: Wash it yourself! I see you bought a Hennessucks car. I hope you don't have to learn another lesson! Wish you luck. :2tu:

OP
OP
D

dyeguy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know if I'd call it a Hen car. That's only about 10% of what is on this car and definitely not why I bought it.

VPRVENM97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
dyeguy,

Glad to hear that it all worked out for you! The B&W looks great. :2tu:

I noticed the seller listed the car as a "Henn***" car. From the pics it doesn't look consistent with a "Henn***" car. Those look like stock throttle bodies and "Henn***" used his own headers, not belangers. Also notice that the airbox says "Vipers by Elite". For a short time, Elitemotorsports was selling the same CF airbox made by factoryten. They also sold the CF dash and sidesill covers. What you have there is more likely an "EMS" Viper and not a "Henn***" Viper. Elitemotorsports is a whole different story....

Of course, I could be completely wrong. Either way, congrats for having it all work out.

You must be registered for see images

Here's a link to Vipermed's photo gallery: Elitemotorsports

OP
OP
D

dyeguy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The last owner didn't like alot of the Hen stuff on the car so he replaced the headers and exhaust with Belanger's and some of the other engine components as well. I checked with Eddie Martin, the local Viper Tech in the area and he was very familiar with the car as he had done all the service on it while the last owner had it. He vouched for the car's condition and the mods on it.

Robert, It was the Superstation carwash on Gilbert/US60. The owners of this carwash are great though so I don't want to say anything bad about them. I will still take my work trucks there. This could happen at any carwash and I definitely would not let anyone drive your car if you do go to one. Tell them you want to pull it around back yourself and stay with it if you're going to have someone else wash it.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Congrats! Jon and Bill are great guys here... no one from eBay will write your insurance a letter, that's for sure.

Thank you all for the kind words....

Glad that it worked out YOUR way.....especially after MOST of the early feedback here was "It Won't Total." An owner's motive is often very different from the Dealer / Body-Shop / Insurance company...we can USUALLY make 'em see it your way.....

P.S. When BillP writes a letter, it carries more weight when he can say:
"We are very familiar with this vehicle, having sold it to ______." When the owner is also our customer, PartsRack writes our letters saying "We have been very familiar with this customer's Viper since _____." We both write letters for customers and non-customers, but the letters SOUND STRONGER if we have first-hand familiarity with the Viper involved. So it CAN PAY to be a Customer! Some significant examples that come to mind are JimH, Lee, and JonA.

The BillP & JonB show has now moved on.......to BobZ