"Wet" track tires...?

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Going to run at Autobahn this coming weekend.
The weather forecast doesn't look too good. (rain)

With a "wet" track (not raining), which tire would you choose to run?

I have a set of new PS2s, a good set of Sport Cups and a set of R6s with one track day on them. All tires are mounted.
I normally run R6s at the track.

We had a similar weather situation at Putnam 3 weeks ago. The track was somewhat wet and I was on R6s. I went sideways in turn 7....:omg:
The track dried a little more and after the tires were warmed up, they were fine.

I know Sport Cups have a bad reputaion for wet surfaces....:dunno:

Thanks....:eater:

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Uhh Yea I was on Cups this weekend in the rain......... Lets just say KY Jelly has about the same stickiness wet as mine did;). I think PS2's are a better rain tire. However if the track is just spotted with some seepage the cups are great and R6'S if the track is dry. IMHO anyway.

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmmm.
I've never run the R6's but I've done many wet track days with the PS2's and with the Cups.

I think that folks jump on the bandwagon about the Cups in the wet ("I'll say they're bad because they MUST be bad - just look at them!") but my opinion, and experience differs. FWIW, I do keep good records and I log all my lap times so I'm not guessing here - I know how each performs.

I've run the Cups at Infineon and at my local track in wet conditions and in very wet conditions with standing water. They're excellent. The PS2's are a little better in standing water but the Cups are better if the track is just wet or it's raining and the track drains well. PS2's are better in puddles but the Cups are not terrible.

With the Cups, be sure to add about 5 lbs air pressure if the track is wet. There's not as much pressure build from heat when the track is wet so you need to compensate for that. 5 lbs is a good start. With the PS2's I add less than 5 lbs - about 3.

Have fun! It sounds like a good time.

Here's a pic of Cups in the rain. I was fastest on that day!

http://forums.viperclub.org/srt10-srt10-coupe-discussions/620063-acr-dive-planes-extreme-use.html

Greg

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the linked thread I said they were terrible in puddles - that was before I added some pressure to the tires. The extra pressure makes a notable difference.

Greg

Magnus_

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I hit up autobahn often. A friend of mine will be instructing this weekend at the CM event, Glenn.

I was thinking of registering as well but the weather does not look good.

Autobahn isn't kind to rain. The track gets muddied quickly and standing water remains.

If I don't make it out this weekend I hope to see more viper owners at the track this year!

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the linked thread I said they were terrible in puddles - that was before I added some pressure to the tires. The extra pressure makes a notable difference.

Greg

Good Info! I will up the PSI if I get nailed in the rain up at the track. Didn't think of that.:2tu:

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's a great thread from three years ago, nice to see Warfang in there at the time.

OP
OP
treesnake

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Uhh Yea I was on Cups this weekend in the rain......... Lets just say KY Jelly has about the same stickiness wet as mine did;). I think PS2's are a better rain tire. However if the track is just spotted with some seepage the cups are great and R6'S if the track is dry. IMHO anyway.

Guess I was lucky I didn't drive all that way to meet you guys at Mid Ohio.

Hmmm.
I've never run the R6's but I've done many wet track days with the PS2's and with the Cups.

I think that folks jump on the bandwagon about the Cups in the wet ("I'll say they're bad because they MUST be bad - just look at them!") but my opinion, and experience differs. FWIW, I do keep good records and I log all my lap times so I'm not guessing here - I know how each performs.

I've run the Cups at Infineon and at my local track in wet conditions and in very wet conditions with standing water. They're excellent. The PS2's are a little better in standing water but the Cups are better if the track is just wet or it's raining and the track drains well. PS2's are better in puddles but the Cups are not terrible.

With the Cups, be sure to add about 5 lbs air pressure if the track is wet. There's not as much pressure build from heat when the track is wet so you need to compensate for that. 5 lbs is a good start. With the PS2's I add less than 5 lbs - about 3.

Have fun! It sounds like a good time.

Here's a pic of Cups in the rain. I was fastest on that day!

http://forums.viperclub.org/srt10-srt10-coupe-discussions/620063-acr-dive-planes-extreme-use.html

Greg

WOW! Cool photos....:2tu:

Thanks for the info. I will use your wet track experience to determine my baseline tire pressures.
The new Aero parts will help too....:D

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guess I was lucky I didn't drive all that way to meet you guys at Mid Ohio.

WOW! Cool photos....:2tu:

Thanks for the info. I will use your wet track experience to determine my baseline tire pressures.
The new Aero parts will help too....:D

Actually it was a great weekend (I didnt get to stay for all of it) Had a couple sessions get rained out on us but overall it was sun and fun! I'll let you know when the group of us go back up again.:2tu: Love to have you out! The poor porsche club got a lesson muscle car madness :D

OP
OP
treesnake

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hit up autobahn often. A friend of mine will be instructing this weekend at the CM event, Glenn.

I was thinking of registering as well but the weather does not look good.

Autobahn isn't kind to rain. The track gets muddied quickly and standing water remains.

If I don't make it out this weekend I hope to see more viper owners at the track this year!

C'mon.. Put some PS2s on and meet us.....:D

This is my first time to run with CM. (4th event at this track) I was really surprised to see that there was only one other Viper signed up at Autobahn.
Especially since the Illinois club does a lot of "Tracking"...

I just finished the first phase of my "track car". I cut the fascia and installed the ACRX brake duct sysytem as well as some other track mods. (Aero, Halon system, Quaiffe, Motons, headers, race controller....) A 10 pt. cage, seats etc will be done next.

This will be my second event driving this car.
Since the track season has started, all I want to do now is drive it....

Wet or dry. Doesn't matter. That's why I built a "dedicated track" car....:D

Magnus_

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Your car is very similar to mine.

Regarding the Illinois club tracking. I was at Road America 4 or 5 times last year and Autobahn about 15 or so. I think I only saw 1 or 2 other vipers the ENTIRE YEAR. Nobody from the IL club.

Here's mine. Look for me out this year, I hope to have it out a lot. :)

You must be registered for see images

vdogg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As for sideways in #7 at Putnam, that is easy to do on a dry day! I will be at Mid Ohio next Monday with 3 Balls (racing that is). Any other Viper owners going to be there? Be at Autobahn with MVP on June 6th.

OP
OP
treesnake

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As for sideways in #7 at Putnam, that is easy to do on a dry day! I will be at Mid Ohio next Monday with 3 Balls (racing that is). Any other Viper owners going to be there? Be at Autobahn with MVP on June 6th.

I ran with MVP last year at Autobahn. We ran full track on a Monday. There were several Vipers there.
I will miss the June 6th date as we leave for the Woodhouse Rendezvous track event on June 8th......:drive:
I am signed up with MVP for the August event at Autobahn. I am also registered with them for Road America in October. Mark runs a good program.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbone96