What about the cops?

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you guys think that the cops are gonna hassle the new Viper like the previous gens, or what? Also will the Valentine One be offered as a optional equipment for those of us that drive to and from the track?:rolaugh:

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Generally speaking I think the individual tends to bring on the problems and not the car. If your definition of being hassled means you got caught breaking the law, then yes you will be targeted. In all honesty, I think the Viper comands respect as well curiosity from admiring policemen. I was pulled over for excessive noise, my own fault, and was let go by a sympathetic, policemen. Same situation in my old Camaro would have probably been a ticket.

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Generally speaking I think the individual tends to bring on the problems and not the car. If your definition of being hassled means you got caught breaking the law, then yes you will be targeted. In all honesty, I think the Viper comands respect as well curiosity from admiring policemen. I was pulled over for excessive noise, my own fault, and was let go by a sympathetic, policemen. Same situation in my old Camaro would have probably been a ticket.

Hmmmmm, well, I had a gun pulled on me by a ********** cop while I was in one of my vipers. I didn't do anything wrong and after multiple threats of arrest, the crowd of people who gathered might have saved me as I didn't even get a ticket as I did nothing wrong. Never underestimate what a person with power in a bad mood will do, particularly to someone with something to be envious of.

OP
OP
A

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is this a serious question? I hope not.
Just tired of everyone moaning and complaining about how the new Viper "isn't this, or doesn't that, or they should have done this, or I'm so disapointed, or whatever" Intsead of being happy that we even have a new version of the car. So, just a light hearted ponder, instead of worrying about what the car is or isn't. -I was gonna ask if they would develope a 'cloaking device'. :omg:

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm all for a cloaking device option. Or a car cover that looks like a corvette would be good.

In 13 yrs of viper ownership I've had countless, seriously, I don't know how many cops give me thumbs up, waves, comments, had 2 cops turn on lights to get up thru traffic to sit next to me & talk about the car. Only one dbag, MD state trooper once almost caused major accidents crossing a medina like a maniac to pull me over, doing the speed limit, for no front tag and a lecture. Not a bad statistic considering, so I have no beef with cops. Now, if you want to talk about bikes, I've been spreadeagled by cops before for no reason on a sportbike, and pulled over cause they thought my blinker didn't work, etc. That's a different story. lol

Jay M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My thinking is that any cop can afford a Viper, and Vipers are made in America by Americans. Therefore, there is no reason for them to be envious or bitter. I've only had the Viper for a year, but I haven't had any experience with the police yet.

When I had my '68 Corvette, I've not only had thumbs up form the police, but I had one rev his engine wanting to drag race!

The only odd experience was in my Lexus IS350 when, like DMan, a CHP made an illegal u-turn on a highway and had to be doing at least 80 to catch up with me doing the speed limit to harass me about no front plate, and write me a ticket tinted windows. My windows aren't even that dark.

When I had a Firebird Formula 350, and I was young, I drew a lot of attention to myself, resulting on two speeding tickets and accused of drunk driving twice - and I don't even drink. In my White '96 Maxima I actually once passed a motor cycle cop at 80mph, and he didn't notice me! In ten years, I never got a ticket in that car. In 6 years I've gotten two in the IS30. I haven't had any negative experience with the police in either the Viper or Corvette.

I hope my insurance company isn't reading this.

~Jay

Last edited:

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In N J if you know the right cops YOU CAN ACTUALLY GET A POLICE ****** AT TRIPPLE DIGIT SPEEDS LOL

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One ticket in 12 years(speed). Got written for 81???? in a 65. Must have caught me slowing down at some point. Never a front plate. Then again I'm not a 20 or 30 something.I have the gray hair why bother him look. GTS Bruce

OP
OP
A

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had a few speeding tickets in this car, but I've been pulled over more often for no front plate, or driving in the left lane on a highway -(what?), or just to check my info to make sure the car isn't stolen, I guess. I live in an economicaly repressed area, so this kind of car gets more attention that you guys that are blingin' in the big cities. My car is not the original color, and a state patrol noticed that the VIN didn't match for color, he was freaking out over that. (again, thought it was a stolen car). Had to explain how I had the car repainted......wow. I think if it was a Camry,.......who cares. Had another state patrol interrogate me on "what do you do for a living to be able to afford a car like this" I had to explain -no kids, no other pre-existing debt, hard work, mid-life crisis, no other hobbies, etc. .......so my experience with cops have mostly been a hassle. :crazy2:

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Owning a Viper says a few things like:

1. I am really patriotic. Most law enforcement guys are patriotic.
2. I am probably more mature and better off financially than most American sports car owners. So, if you pull me over it better be for a legitimate reason or I will tear your ass up in court and possibly impact your career.
3. I drive one of the fastest best handling cars on the planet...and unless you have a deathwish, you better not chase me.

Seriously, the only time I've ever been ticketed in my Viper was when I was following one of the administrators of this board in a convoy on the way to Saratoga, and he took us up to 115 mph. We got pulled over by a 7 ft tall NY State Trooper who ended up giving all of us tickets for a broken speedometer, cost me $50 bucks as a fine.

I find that most law enforcement guys respect what the Viper stands for and unless you are being a real ******* out there and endangering other motorists, law enforcement usually leave Vipers alone.

madninjaskillz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with black mamba that I have not gotten hassled and only received one ticket in many years of Viper ownership. That one ticket was my fault because I was doing over 100 but he still dropped the fine down for me. I have asked some cop friends about how they feel about Vipers and their response was, "We go after the mustang and camaro guys because they are usually the ones doing stupid $hit for no reason and they are a younger crowd. We don't worry about Vipers."

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So cops that break the law are good if they are your friends...
It is sad but TRUE .In the GARDEN STATE its basically the GOLDEN RULE (The man with the GOLD MAKES ALL THE RULES )Its definately not fair but such is life

shine

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I find that most law enforcement guys respect what the Viper stands for and unless you are being a real ******* out there and endangering other motorists, law enforcement usually leave Vipers alone.

I agree with this, and it applies to a lot of other cars besides Vipers.

It's really saying something when you have a souped up hot rod and still take the time to put on blinkers when you change lanes, or wave to someone who gives space and lets you over.

Douchebaggery is douchebaggery, whether you're in a $3000 Honda or a $500,000 Lamborghini. Respect other drivers, and respect the laws out there that protect others from you and your car.

Speeding on an open road with no one else around is a damn sight different than speeding in heavy traffic or on side streets with families playing in the front yard.

My cardinal rule is, don't endanger others. This includes ******* them off by acting like a dick, but also includes things like not zipping by them on double yellow lines, or freaking them out with excessive speed. People get weird around high powered cars, without needing to show off. Once you start doing something, common sense evaporates and the risk goes up for everyone, and that catches the attention of LEOs.

Show respect to your fellow motorists, and you'll have a lot fewer problems with cops, and may even get a mythical "stopped you just to see this beast" officer. Has happened to me twice now.

mach4444

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had a cop stop me for doing 20 in a 15 mph construction zone while leaving from a stop sign. I showed him that my speedo starts at 20 mph and he proceeded to slam me about how people who drive cars like this are over aggressive and don't care about the environment, are wasting gas and a bunch of other horse sh*t.
Then another cop pulled up and I thought ok here we go.
Ends up the 2nd cop was his supervisor, was a huge Viper fan and let me go without even a warning all he wanted was a picture of the car to send to his son. Hell I let him sit in the car and took about 10 pictures for him while the other cop sulked in his patrol car.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Owning a Viper says a few things like:

1. I am really patriotic. Most law enforcement guys are patriotic.
2. I am probably more mature and better off financially than most American sports car owners. So, if you pull me over it better be for a legitimate reason or I will tear your ass up in court and possibly impact your career.
3. I drive one of the fastest best handling cars on the planet...and unless you have a deathwish, you better not chase me.

Seriously, the only time I've ever been ticketed in my Viper was when I was following one of the administrators of this board in a convoy on the way to Saratoga, and he took us up to 115 mph. We got pulled over by a 7 ft tall NY State Trooper who ended up giving all of us tickets for a broken speedometer, cost me $50 bucks as a fine.

I well remember THAT year, Keith!!! You guys were frickin' late~~~~~~;) :rolaugh: :D
We've gotten thumbs'up from the cops, got one speeding ticket (deserved), and pulled over in my Vette for no other reason but he could. (No law breaking was done, said 'failure to signal', which of course I always signal lane changes).
Goes with the territory....you drive a sports car or high-performance motorcycle, you're gonna get 'looked' at.
~juli

tattooed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm not worried about it in the Kansas City Missouri area. KCMO cops have real crime to deal with and are more likely to smile and give you a nod. MO HP and cops in other local jurisdictions will probably treat it the same as they treat a Ferrari or Vette. The only cars that'll get you pulled and harassed around here - because of the car - are Honda Accords with fartpipes, clear markers, and eBay 10k HIDs pointed at the moon.

JacksViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmmmmm, well, I had a gun pulled on me by a ********** cop while I was in one of my vipers. I didn't do anything wrong and after multiple threats of arrest, the crowd of people who gathered might have saved me as I didn't even get a ticket as I did nothing wrong. Never underestimate what a person with power in a bad mood will do, particularly to someone with something to be envious of.

OMG!! Little Mr. Rich guy. You didn't do anything wrong? Are you for real? And, the cop pulled out his gun? You are so full of SH#@&*%T!!

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
OMG!! Little Mr. Rich guy. You didn't do anything wrong? Are you for real? And, the cop pulled out his gun? You are so full of SH#@&*%T!!

No, I'm not and why would you call me "Little Mr. Rich guy?" The incident was ridiculous. I don't know what drove that guy so nuts but he certainly was and it caused a rather large crowd to gather around as he was going off at me. I gave the very short version of the story here. At one point the cop started walking away and looked back to see that I had a sticker on my back window saying that I had donated to the sheriff's department. He came rushing back swearing at me that I only had that sticker on my car to throw money around and get out of tickets and that it wouldn't work on him. He proceeded to start yelling at me again for a while. When he was finished, the officer did a big smokey doughnut in the middle of the street as he drove off. There are some good cops and there are some bad cops. I ran into a bad one that seemed to be having a bad day and wanted to take it out on someone.

After the incident, I told a friend of mine that works in law enforcement about what happened. He said that stuff like that happens from time to time and said that I could file a complaint with the department but suggested that I didn't or I may become a target from the officer and any of his friends that feel like getting some revenge. It's kind of messed up

When you take someone who has an inferiority complex and put him in a position of power, it is rather scary what they will do with it.