What are you all hauling your Viper with?

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am looking for a new vehicle for the wife. Right now she has a Rav4 - but we want to upgrade. Been looking at a X5, Cayanne, Q7 so far. She hasn't loved any of them as of yet. I'd like something with the capacity to pull an enclosed trailer with my new car.

ninjakris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What about the new Grand Cherokee? They can tow 7400lbs. I believe they are built on a mercedes frame and from what I have heard, they are a very nice inside and out.

BlackSnake99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What about the new Grand Cherokee? They can tow 7400lbs. I believe they are built on a mercedes frame and from what I have heard, they are a very nice inside and out.

I towed my CJ-7 with a CG once. Once. It was squirrelly as s**t because of the short wheel base. I also toasted the transmission. I would say if you are looking for a car for the wife that you could tow somewhat reasonably, a Tahoe or Yukon would be adequate. My wife has a Yukon Denali and loves it. AWD and had all luxo-toys you could want.

Voodoo Rob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check the tow rating on the SUVs you have mentioned. I have towed a lot of trailers and boats and the bigger the better for the tow vehicle. If your looking at SUVs to tow a small enclosed car trailer go for a full size GMC, Ford, Sequoia, etc. at the bare minimum. The smaller SUVs will struggle , sway, and the drive train will not be happy towing 3,000 lb car +3,000 lb enclosed trailer thru weather, up hills, whatever. X5 or equal are great to tow a jet ski or take a load of leaves to the dump. There will always be some dude that says he pulls his 32' enclosed trailer loaded with a Chevy S10 pickup 2.8 engine and clips along at 70 MPH, no sway no issues. Do some on line research if your serious about getting a tow vehicle that will last and tow safely. Most people use 2500 series SUVs ( Excursion or Suburban) or Pickups and haul what your looking to do without any issues.

Voodoo Rob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Forgot to mention I currently haul with a 2001 Ford Excursion Turbo Diesel 7.3 . Had 2001 Chevy Suburban 2500 8.1 previously, it was nice but gas mileage was at best 11mpg downhill. Excursion is a much better tow vehicle and MPG is 19-20 on highway.

OP
OP
V

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check the tow rating on the SUVs you have mentioned. I have towed a lot of trailers and boats and the bigger the better for the tow vehicle. If your looking at SUVs to tow a small enclosed car trailer go for a full size GMC, Ford, Sequoia, etc. at the bare minimum. The smaller SUVs will struggle , sway, and the drive train will not be happy towing 3,000 lb car +3,000 lb enclosed trailer thru weather, up hills, whatever. X5 or equal are great to tow a jet ski or take a load of leaves to the dump. There will always be some dude that says he pulls his 32' enclosed trailer loaded with a Chevy S10 pickup 2.8 engine and clips along at 70 MPH, no sway no issues. Do some on line research if your serious about getting a tow vehicle that will last and tow safely. Most people use 2500 series SUVs ( Excursion or Suburban) or Pickups and haul what your looking to do without any issues.
Yeah, with a Viper and an enclosed trailer, it would exactly hit the tow rating for the X5.

I'd love to grab a powerstroke, but prices are a bit silly still for used ones (Used market in general).

Doubt I could talk the wife into driving a DRW F-350 :p

Voodoo Rob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We had a few duallies in the past and after my wife tore a fender off of 2 of them parking in the garage it was time for a change! The Suburban ( or GMC equivalent) is smaller "car like features" compared to others and your wife could drive it easily.

Gus Strakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Armada. It's a great family vehicle, and can tow up to 9,000 lb. Towing my aluminum open trailer with a Viper on it, you don't even know it's back there. I also have an Expedition, and that tows well also, recently hauling a Viper from Maryland to Florida with no problems.

OP
OP
V

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Using a Hemi Ram 1500.

What size enclosed trailer are you planning on pulling and how often?

Just looking at a 20' (seems to be what people recommend) enclosed. I don't need anything too ****

More or less, something when I want to go down to FL for a few weeks (From VA) or if I want to go up home to MD (100miles) and want to take the dog, wife, etc for a long weekend.

Ideally I'll start tracking as well, but that is a bit off, VIR is 5 hr away, Summit is about 2.

Magnus_

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There really is no SUV that will tow an enclosed trailer + viper safely.

You're looking at a full size surburban, MINIMUM. Unfortunately they don't make the Excursion anymore. You're looking at a Yukon XL or a pickup.

I spent months researching, reading, etc.. Ended up going with a 2500 Silverado HD. I went with a crew cab but you can go with the short cab if you really want to save some space.

I have a 24' featherlite trailer. It weighs like 4600lbs empty. Add in the viper + tools, etc.. and you'll be over 9000.

I routinely check my rig on the CAT scales and I'm usually around 17,500 lbs total.

There really is no good compromising vehicle. :(

Tow an enclosed + viper with a vehicle that is barely capable and you're just asking for trouble. Big wind gust and just hope there isn't too much damage to the viper after you get pushed off the road. Happened to a friend of mine. :(

OP
OP
V

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I grew up driving cattle in our Powerstroke + Gooseneck trailer at the tender age of 16, so I know the dangers (Even worse is driving with live animals and some A-hole cuts you off and slams on their brakes!) - but was interested to see what you can get away with.

I'll keep on looking, I do appreciate the feedback. Great community I am glad to be joining!

1200hpv10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1994 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins. . . . pulls a car + trailer like nothing. . . go with a diesel truck, you wont regret it, The cummins motor is bulletproof also.

Tom Sessions

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you need to first pick out a trailer then look into a tow vehicle. I dont recall the maker of this unit. But I remember seeing a trailer at the track that was very low profile, big enough for the car and a extra set of tires. The sides would swing open for access to the car. Was very light and could be towed with a mid sized SUV safely. Don't forget the Durango as a option. Try and keep it all in the family.
I personally tow with 2001 Ram 3500. But I pull a 48ft enclosed so I need the extra wheels.

Green Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I pull a 20 foot V-nose enclosed trailer that weighs 3200# and the Viper behind my 06 Durango with the 5.7 Hemi with no trouble at all. It even navigated the mountain passes in route to VOI-10 in St Lake City within a couple of mph of the speed limit. By comparison our older 99 Durango pulling the Viper on an open steel trailer (2000#) got down to 30 mph and cooked the transmission fluid on the same route.
V-nose helps a lot when pulling behind a smaller vehicle.

Smokin' 2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is my tow vehicle for next season:

You must be registered for see images attach

Overkill much? :) (Typed with admiration)

I towed a 20 foot sloan kwikload behind a 2010 Expedition then switched to a F-350 dually when I grabbed a 48 foot enclosed. We feel safer towing 2 vipers in the 48 footer with the F-350 than we did with the Expedition and 20 foot sloan when it comes to stopping and road stability. My 2 cents.

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
RAM 2500 Cummins with 6-speed manual....pull a 20' Featherlite V-nose. Almost as fun as driving the Viper. :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth