what exhaust is this

whatthe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone know what exhaust system this is? I need to change this out from header back with hi flow cat and short muffler, was going to go back to stock exhaust but want to keep headers and have a little sound coming out of exhaust, a roe cat looks like it will fit but can anyone reccommend a muffler that is not to loud I cant pass CA. smog without cats on, also is the spring looking thing a flex joint If so I will have to leave it?. Car supposedly was done by Hennessy.

You must be registered for see images attach

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
put on magna flows, they sound great, not to loud but nice tone(better than stock)

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No idea why there would be a flex joint in that location. I think the Roe side exhaust/cat is a great sounding combination but it will be loud.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No idea why there would be a flex joint in that location.

The reason is because the aftermarket headers delete the stock flex pipe. Our torquey V10's move around alot twisting the exhaust system. Most of us dont worry about it though...

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The reason is because the aftermarket headers delete the stock flex pipe. Our torquey V10's move around alot twisting the exhaust system. Most of us dont worry about it though...

That actually is an odd place to put the flex joint, should be in the bend so that it can contract and expand due to torqueing.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is different than the OEM flex joint which is located in the bend. If I had to guess, and I am, I'd say this type of flexible joint was put there to mate the turnout to the rest of exhaust which is not level with the turnout. You can see that the joint is sloping downwards to make the connection. Furthermore, the hangar bracket is still being used at the turnout isolating most of the vibration there. If the engine is rocking a lot, I suspect that the rubber isolator is probaby torn up around the hangar bar.

Good time to check and see if new motor mounts are needed. I don't have issues with the motor rocking anymore since installing Woodhouse mounts 5 years ago.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
put on magna flows, they sound great, not to loud but nice tone(better than stock)

Simply recommending a manufacture dosnt help him.
Magnaflow makes hundreds of different mufflers with Several diff designes that all sound different.

This is the one that i am currently running:
http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopexd.asp?zone=main&id=10474
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MPE-12867/

5" OD mufflers fit nicely in our sidesills. 6" is snug but will work if you are looking to take more sound out.
I dont recommend going with anything less than 5" as in my experience the closer you get to the diameter of the pipe the more it begins to sound like a straight-pipe. Then again, the one that you(whatthe) is running(looks like a 4") is so long that it might take out enough sound to sound like a more common length 5" variant. I have tried 4" 5" & 6" OD straigh-thu preforated tube mufflers as well as the moroso spiral-flow on my Viper. I have tried diff combinations of those with a hi-flow ceramic-substrate cat, a hi-flow metalic-substrate cat, as well as no cat. I currently am running the muffler i linked to above with a moroso spiral-flow in place of the cat. (SIDE exhaust:headbang:)

Last edited:

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Furthermore, the hangar bracket is still being used at the turnout isolating most of the vibration there.

Right. That kinda defeats the purpose of the flexjoint where it is. lol
I'd unbolt that mount, like i did on mine.

The flexjoint can still have a benifit in that position though. The exhaust does grow by some amount(DaveXXXX measured it) from cold to hot. The flex could help keep the exit aligned with the hole in the sill. Dosnt realy matter though as he'll prob have to yank it to fit the new muffler and cat.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Simply recommending a manufacture dosnt help him.
Magnaflow makes hundreds of different mufflers with Several diff designes that all sound different. magnaflow doest make hundereds of mufflers that are round a fit a viper/ yes they make hundreds for a dumptruck,not a viper

This is the one that i am currently running:
http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopexd.asp?zone=main&id=10474
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MPE-12867/

5" OD mufflers fit nicely in our sidesills. 6" is snug but will work if you are looking to take more sound out.
I dont recommend going with anything less than 5" as in my experience the closer you get to the diameter of the pipe the more it begins to sound like a straight-pipe. Then again, the one that you(whatthe) is running(looks like a 4") is so long that it might take out enough sound to sound like a more common length 5" variant. I have tried 4" 5" & 6" OD straigh-thu preforated tube mufflers as well as the moroso spiral-flow on my Viper. I have tried diff combinations of those with a hi-flow ceramic-substrate cat, a hi-flow metalic-substrate cat, as well as no cat. I currently am running the muffler i linked to above with a moroso spiral-flow in place of the cat. (SIDE exhaust:headbang:)
............................................magnaflow doest make hundreds of small round mufflers to work with a viper/ dumptrucks yes

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Right. That kinda defeats the purpose of the flexjoint where it is. lol
I'd unbolt that mount, like i did on mine.

The flexjoint can still have a benifit in that position though. The exhaust does grow by some amount(DaveXXXX measured it) from cold to hot. The flex could help keep the exit aligned with the hole in the sill. Dosnt realy matter though as he'll prob have to yank it to fit the new muffler and cat.

All the more reason to get a new exhaust! :D

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Magnaflows are very free flowing too as long as you dont go chambered.

The turbo guys love them ---

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbone96