What happened to multi-CD changer?

ViperNM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a new 09 SRT-10 and it has a single CD changer. What happened to the multiple , in-dash CD player. If you got the Nav. package, it's still a single player.

The interesting thing is that my standard audio package is referred to as a CD changer. Does this mean it will control an external CD changer or is it really a single player and it's a terminology problem.

What am I missing?

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
These new inventions called the iPod and jump drive came out and can hold more songs than any CD on the market. Most new cars don't have multiple cd changers, they use a single MP3 cd player or iPod input.

:)

OP
OP
V

ViperNM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
These new inventions called the iPod and jump drive came out and can hold more songs than any CD on the market. Most new cars don't have multiple cd changers, they use a single MP3 cd player or iPod input.

:)

OK got it. So it can read MP3s on CD but is there an iPod connection (like USB)?

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not even sure if your cd player is an mp3 player. Factory equipment for stereo's usually is not that great. Should say in your manual if it can read mp3's or not. I would assume it can and probably be upset if it can't since that technology is well over 10 years old let alone a basic cd player's technology.

OP
OP
V

ViperNM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not even sure if your cd player is an mp3 player. Factory equipment for stereo's usually is not that great. Should say in your manual if it can read mp3's or not. I would assume it can and probably be upset if it can't since that technology is well over 10 years old let alone a basic cd player's technology.

It can read and play MP3s according to the manual. The technology used in these is very old. I could never find out if the head unit can actually control a changer. I don't think so. You wonder, then, why it's called a single CD changer. To me changer and player are not interchangeable.

If like my 09 --2 choices single CD or Nav. If there is an IPOD connector I have not found it--and NAV screen useless

Never seen one or read about it the manual. I knew the Nav unit was primitive by today's standards (like, say, what's in Challenger).

NHL2133

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If your head unit looks like this...
You must be registered for see images

...then I believe it will control a factory CD changer if installed. Ask the parts or service manager at your local Dodge dealer to be sure, but I'm almost positive that head unit will control a changer.

OP
OP
V

ViperNM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If your head unit looks like this...
You must be registered for see images

...then I believe it will control a factory CD changer if installed. Ask the parts or service manager at your local Dodge dealer to be sure, but I'm almost positive that head unit will control a changer.

Yep that's it. I looked for such an option in the Mopar accessories catalog online but found nothing. I'll ask next time I'm at the dealer, about such an option. Not a biggie though since, as King says, I can fit about 10 CDs worth of music (ala MP3) on one CD.