What is the official name for the blue Viper color?

Venom Lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No doubt this question has been asked and answered a thousand times on here, but I couldn't seem to find the answer in any of the archives.

So, what is the official name of the blue color on the '96 and '97 GTS's? Also, is there a specification number for this color?

I got an e-mail from someone today asking these questions, because he wants to paint his Dakota the same color. Anyway, I realized I don't know the answer, so I'd appreciate hearing from someone who knows!

Thanks.

OP
OP
V

Venom Lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, everybody.

It's funny, I never would have thought I would've chosen a blue car, but this particular "GTS Blue" is unique and stunning.

Nadine, I put the street tires back on today, but couldn't find an appropriate place here in LA to try a 2nd gear burnout.

P.S., isn't 8 pm translated into GMT something like 3 in the morning for you???

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nadine was right-in. According to the 1996 Service Manual,..is is listed as Viper GTS Blue Pearl Coat. Pearl Coat simply means clearcoat.

Richard K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From the more than you needed to know department...

Viper Blue Pearl Metallic
Code SBE - Chrysler Corporation
Year 1996 (same for 97)
Metallic/Iridescent content > 5 grams/liter
Valueshade #5
2 part system base/clearcoat polyurethane
$88/liter just for the base last time I bought it!

Richard K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually Matt, the "pearl" is the metallic/iridescent content of the base paint which gives it that purpleish blue appearence in sun light (and after Zaino). The color coat itself will look completely dull unless you apply the polyurethane clearcoat.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">They didn't in 1996.....

I think the $1,200 on the 1997 invoice above was for the stripes, not the blue paint. Anyone know what the "Customer Preferred Group (21A) is?</FONT f>

You must be registered for see images

Richard K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ron is correct, the additional upcharge was for the GTS with stripes... of course in '96 and '97 I believe a "Viper Blue" GTS was only available with stripes.

Kid97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I received an e-mail from DC asking for my permission to rename the color "Kid Blue" - I'm still negotiating a license fee. I think a more appropriate name would be "Big Boy Blue" with the current Saphire Blue being renamed "Creampuff Blue."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VenomXX