what is up with this? typical of viper owners??

RedSnakeGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
on my way to get my truck from the shop (slowly falling apart, getting fixed under warranty), i saw a yellow/black gts at a stoplight down the street from my house. i NEVER see vipers in my area, so i figured i would get to know this guy, shoot the [******] and whatnot. my friend was driving, so we follow the guy until he pulled over into a shopping center. i have never done this before, i didnt know how to open up the conversation...."do you live around here?" was the only thing i could think of. so he answered "yes," and put his hand on the roof of his car like he was hot ****. well i asked him about his car, and mentioned that i had a red GTS. he looked me up and down, looked at my buddies, and then asked the usual questions regarding my age. finally, he followed up with, "dont you think this is a little too much car for somebody your age?" i responded with a blunt and quick "NO!" he got a little offensive and then asked, "havent you wrecked it yet?" once again, i said "NO!" what is with people? get over the fact that used vipers have fallen in the price range that many people can afford, and even the "less than thou" can afford them. i even mentioned that it is on its way back from Heffner's :laugh: . poor guy has a chip on his shoulder.....

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
When it gets back from Heffner's, find him, and open up your new can of whoop-azs! Sweet revenge!

Some Viper owners are as big a dikheds as some Porsche owners. There was this black GTS with silver stripes on the freeway, he came up from behind. When he got even, I gave him a beep and a wave. He was in the next lane, but didn't even blink, just ignored me. Must not have been a VCA member!

OP
OP
R

RedSnakeGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad I don't have my roof on very much. Wouldn't want anyone thinking that I think I'm a hot **** or something... :shocked:

if you think that i am using that as evidence for my argument then you didnt read all of my post. he was displaying his car Vannah-esque and that just added fuel to the fire......

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Craig, don't wanna hijack this thread- You've got a PM.

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From what you posted it sounds like he knows who Heffner is. So he's obviously done some research a la personal search, VCA, or on this board.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Very annoying , but I do not think this is indicative of the average Viper owner. I really believe most Viper owners do not fall into any category or age group, but there are definitely folks who don't have the passion like so many of us do. Next time you have the opportunity to go to a VCA function, Viper Days, or the next Viper Owner Invitational, make the effort and you will get to know the best group of owners ( though not perfect ) out there. I still remember discussing with a fellow Viperite, at the St. Louis VOI, about the group of folks meandering among the Vendor booths. His comment has stuck with me to this day, and in noticing very few Guccis or gold chains, he laughingly said Viper owners looked like they were at a BASS Anglers convention. Though this may not be 100% accurate, it was a fun
statement of how we can not be pigeonholed and it also referenced the laid back nature many Snake owners confer. Hang in there and you will find, Viperholics far outweigh the nose in the air crowd, and as you read the board and see folks like Chris Marshall and others giving admirers rides/pictures and such, it will give you a truer picture of the Snake community.

ChrisXoxide

Enthusiast
Reaction score
speaking of ferrari... I was at a car auction the other day and I check out a yellow 360 Modena. Thing is so sweet - you can see the engine through the back glass window. Its incredible.

JGarrett

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Having Corvettes, Porsches, a Panoz Roadster, a Ferrari, a Viper, and belonging to the clubs of each, a couple of observations. The owners are actually pretty much the same. Most have worked hard and like to play hard. Most are great people who love their cars, who love to talk about it's wonderful and unigue qualites, who love to take the car to a track, who follow motorsports (particuarlly of their marque), and there are always a few morons. These people see themselves as completely uninique and can't share the joy and enthusiasum we all share and good naturedly compete among. Feel sorry for them and enjoy the majority of us.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah it is not uncommon to hear about these stories. Right before I got mine the sales person told my father that he thought the car was a bit much for a person of my age. So much for that; he lost a sale. Once he said that my father started to think and told me that I was not allowed to buy a car like this. After a little persuading I was able to coax him into allowing me to get it. I do not know what is up with people. Some of them need help!

Hoosier Daddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
he laughingly said Viper owners looked like they were at a BASS Anglers convention.

Hey I resemble that remark and I was at the VOI. I'm a card carrying member and do fish BASS tournaments.

anunakki

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I generally run into the same three snakes every week in my area and we all always wave to each other or something EXCEPT for this one guy..and I saw him again last night and gave him the 'Nod" and I swear he just looked the other way and kept driving.

Some people...

Not to hijack the thread but I finally got to try out an SRT today and that interior is BEAUTIFUL... I still think its a great looking car but it doesnt have that 'exotic' thing going on that the Gen I and II's have. But I'd still take one as a second Viper

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got one guy around here that is the same way everytime I see him. He just drives along, doesn't wave, etc.
My thinking is, I am glad I know now that he is an A$$hole, so I don't have to waste any time trying to be nice to him, and find that :D out later!

paul

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, unfortunately and I hate to say it but I think the majority of Viper owners are pompous, stuck up, old farts. I think there are some out there, maybe more than a "handfull," that are genuinely caring of others and make the effort to toss a wave and smile to anyone. Maybe I think this because I have had similar experiences, but I guarantee if you see me in the viper and ask about the car or wave or whatever, I will happily smile back wave or be happy to talk about the car or your car or whatever...I do think there are many Viper owners out there that would do the same, but I know there too many owners out there that wouldn't give anyone the time of day! That's life I guess. Lots of the "old farts" hate the fact that some "kids" still in highschool can afford or are provided a Viper. And if you think that I am a cynical young person that thinks every "older" person looks down upon the youth of today then you will be wrong.

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Darn, just past 40 and I'm already an old fart :(

As the cars are getting older, the drivers get younger. I love seeing all the new folks that work on their cars themselves. They also smile and wave when driving, and take the time to open the hood at the gas station for the younger fans. A good idea since they are the ones in 25 years that are going to fund our retirement buying our Vipers :)

Seriously, the one question I hate answering is "How much did you pay for it" (my parents taught me it was rude to ask someone how much they paid for something) I answer "six years".... after they ponder for a moment, I explain that is how long I saved to buy it.

BarbaraAnn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not a typical Viper owner, but I've only met one owner I didn't really like. Fortunately, my husband always befriended people who "didn't have anyone talking with them", and this fellow, too, turned out to be really nice. People always honk and wave when I'm in a Viper, and someone recently told me that if I ever get stopped for speeding, the cop will probably just smile and say, "Slow down, Grandma!"

RockStar

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jay I like that answer (8 years for me). "How much" is the first question everyone asks me. As far as Viper owners go, I've met lots of em, and can honestly say I've only ever met one that I thought was a dick. I didn't have my car that day, and he gave me the up and down look, then walked away after I tried to strike up a quick conversation. I say it again: Guys, if you don't want the "hassle" of celebrity status associated with the Viper, then cover it up in the garage, or buy something alot less noticeable. I always stop to talk to admirers, or give the local kids a ride (and even the local adults). Sorta comes with the territory. Vipers are dream cars for so many people, I feel more than privaledged owning one so young in life.

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, unfortunately and I hate to say it but I think the majority of Viper owners are pompous, stuck up, old farts. I think there are some out there, maybe more than a "handfull," that are genuinely caring of others and make the effort to toss a wave and smile to anyone.
I'm afraid you need to move to the VA/MD region. Ever since I've been attending VCA events (with another Viper owner), not one owner told/yelled at me to step away from their car because I was too close. I always care for and respect others property, but more so for the Viper from admiration. Everyone that I've met in the regional events have been kind, respectful, and seemed to appreciate my company. This includes, not limited to, Ron Hickey, Region President, gave me a ride in the '02 Crab Feast; Andy Levitt, former Region President, North East Zone Director; Jason Heffner, owner of Heffner's Performance, Region Treasurer; and Mark Cooper, gave me a free ride at the '01 Crab Feast, even on short notice.

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Tell me about it. I pulled up in my Boxster to the crab feast (hadn't yet picked up my RT) and everyone couldn't have been nicer. Ron, Peter and everyone else I met was eager to help a newbie with even the most juvenille questions.

If someone blows you off. Just smile. My car always puts a smile on my face. Shame it doesn't do the same for him/her.

Magicboy2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I always stop to talk to admirers, or give the local kids a ride (and even the local adults). Sorta comes with the territory. Vipers are dream cars for so many people, I feel more than privaledged owning one so young in life.

Well said. My feelings exactly.

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I always stop to talk to admirers, or give the local kids a ride (and even the local adults). Sorta comes with the territory. Vipers are dream cars for so many people, I feel more than privaledged owning one so young in life.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well said. My feelings exactly.

[/QUOTE]
You guys are making me jealous. I can't wait to give the neighborhood kids (my brothers friends) rides depending on WHEN I get it.

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Honestly, I don't know when the next time I'll be in MD is. It may be as late/early as Christmas. Depends because it's my dad's year for that holiday (divorced parents, still doing joint custody "act").

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jay I like that answer (8 years for me). "How much" is the first question everyone asks me. As far as Viper owners go, I've met lots of em, and can honestly say I've only ever met one that I thought was a dick. I didn't have my car that day, and he gave me the up and down look, then walked away after I tried to strike up a quick conversation. I say it again: Guys, if you don't want the "hassle" of celebrity status associated with the Viper, then cover it up in the garage, or buy something alot less noticeable. I always stop to talk to admirers, or give the local kids a ride (and even the local adults). Sorta comes with the territory. Vipers are dream cars for so many people, I feel more than privaledged owning one so young in life.
Well said. We as viper owners can become complacient sometimes forgetting how awesome of a car we have. Yeah getting mobbed at the local gas station when we have a hot date can get tiresome but at least your not driving a Mustang...ow wait you wouldn't have a hot date or would be getting mobbed if you had a Mustang my bad. :eek:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21