What Model Year Is Worst...?

Jerry Dobson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am amazed at how many people basically say “If the pistons are a concern, just swap them out”. What? They make it sound like you can do it on your lunch break. It’s a major task.

Most people that purchase a ROE SC, Paxton or Nitrous package never want to replace the pistons. Sure some of the guys do, but that is a very small percentage. These guys want a forged piston car with a 708 Cam.

Surveys taken show the 98 and 99 years as the most desirable. Are they the best all around Viper? No. They have terrible Neutral Gear Rattle, no ABS, paint bubbles, etc….But they are still my first choice.

revived_gearhead

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wow! Hurt my feelings. I was never a big fan of green until I bought my '95 Emerald Green. I get more favorable comments everywhere I travel because it's not the traditional red, black, blue etc. They're all awesome colors in my book, but rarity is a beautiful thing!

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This thread was destined to hurt feelings, a good reason to let it die.

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wow! Hurt my feelings. I was never a big fan of green until I bought my '95 Emerald Green. I get more favorable comments everywhere I travel because it's not the traditional red, black, blue etc. They're all awesome colors in my book, but rarity is a beautiful thing!
I completely agree with you and figure anyone that says the '95 green is ugly has such different opinions than I that there is not much point in even giving their opinion any consideration.

I was in search of a emerald green back in '97 when I found my '95 in black, and, partly due to the rarity I'm sure, the green was more than I wanted to pay. So, I got the black as it was a close second. And of course, in the meantime, I daresay I think I like the black better, but green is still right up there - way over red or yellow. In any event, and probably unlike most people here, I'm of the mind that such a car is best in stealthy colors, there's no reason to scream LOOK AT ME with yellow or red or any stripes when the lines are so beautiful.

Now, if they had had a similar color when I was looking for a Gen II in my price range, I would have been very tempted. The '01 and '02 models were just a bit over what I wanted to pay at the time I was looking, so I stayed with the previous year's black.

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Surveys taken show the 98 and 99 years as the most desirable.
OK, I'll bite. What surveys? :cool:

(I've not seen any such survey even once, although that doesn't mean they don't exist; and I dare say I'm fairly familiar with a lot of Viper and Viper Club subjects. Nor have I ever seen such a preference except the constant propaganda repeated in this forum, espoused by a small number of vocal people, more than a few of which haven't greatly impressed me with anything more than repeating something a friend-of-a-friend's tuner said.)

Inferno

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Surveys taken show the 98 and 99 years as the most desirable.
OK, I'll bite. What surveys? :cool:

(I've not seen any such survey even once, although that doesn't mean they don't exist; and I dare say I'm fairly familiar with a lot of Viper and Viper Club subjects. Nor have I ever seen such a preference except the constant propaganda repeated in this forum, espoused by a small number of vocal people, more than a few of which haven't greatly impressed me with anything more than repeating something a friend-of-a-friend's tuner said.)

I totally agree, let's see the survey.

Hockeysnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wow, I have a 2000 and everywhere I go people tell me it is the most beautiful they have seen. Not one person ever says "Nice Viper, too bad it's a 2000 with cast pistons" What a bunch of nonsense.

You guys who rip on the 2000 are fools. Go join the Honda club of america. I have never once ripped on somone else's Viper on this site and for you jerks to do that is pathetic...Have a nice day.

Inferno

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wow, I have a 2000 and everywhere I go people tell me it is the most beautiful they have seen. Not one person ever says "Nice Viper, too bad it's a 2000 with cast pistons" What a bunch of nonsense.

You guys who rip on the 2000 are fools. Go join the Honda club of america. I have never once ripped on somone else's Viper on this site and for you jerks to do that is pathetic...Have a nice day.

I agree, no viper should be called a creampuff :evilmad: , but you will never win that arguement, just refer to the pre2000's as FLAKIES, they love it :D . So why the name hockeysnake, you play pro?

VPRVENM97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Worst models is one that is sitting in a garge and not being enjoyed.

That about sums it all up. As of this morning, I had the worst model since it's sitting in the garage. In about 10 minutes I'll have the best model since I'm gonna hit the road and make a run into Saratoga (Randy, if you see a Blue & White on De Anza Blvd. that would be me).

Jeff, sorry to hear that you're snow bound and looking at 17" of snow. Just to let you know, it's clear blue sky's here in sunny Nor Cal with a high of 60 today. :cool:

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saved so much money by buying my 2000, that it outperforms any stock Gen1/2 for the same price.

EDIT: And my vote is for the McViper as the absolute worst Viper ever made. Any car with yellow wheels is completely absurd in my opinion.

OP
OP
J

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Jeff, sorry to hear that you're snow bound and looking at 17" of snow. Just to let you know, it's clear blue sky's here in sunny Nor Cal with a high of 60 today. "

LOL...Dave- Please don't interupt I'm meditating....Hummmmmmmmmmmm (think it's easy huh?).

"Wow, I have a 2000 and everywhere I go people tell me it is the most beautiful they have seen. Not one person ever says "Nice Viper, too bad it's a 2000 with cast pistons" What a bunch of nonsense."

Finally this post is getting somewhere, Hockeysnake- Thank you.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wish Bill Pemberton would chime in about what he knows about 2000 Vipers! I think some of you 2000 model year nay sayers would be surprised.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had said I wasnt going to respond to this post just b/c it was designed to hurt feelings and thats about as low as it can go. I dont really care if someone doesnt like my wheels. So, I buy some new wheels, slap them on and it magically changes my car from the worst Viper ever to a great one? How stupid can someone be? I personally dont like a couple people on here, but i'm not gonna start a thread asking "Who's the biggest A-hole on the site?". HockeySnake is 100% correct. To rip on someone's Viper (whether it be "old and red", a cast piston motor, or have yellow wheels, etc) just shows who the jerks are. I'd rather read the smashmyviper thread. Atleast that was a guy beating up his OWN viper instead of attacking someone else's. When someone offers to buy me new wheels, I may take them up on the offer. When someone offers to replace all the 2000 Viper owners pistons and give them ABS, they'll prob accept the deal as well. Until then, just remember the old saying "if you dont have anything nice to say, shut the **** up!"