What other cars did you look at before deciding on your Viper?

Nuck

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right forum for the question but I am really interested in what other cars were on your shopping list before deciding on a Gen 1 or Gen 2. And do you still wonder about these other candidates?

98viperGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
For me it was just natural progression. I started out with a Mustang Cobra then switched to a C5 Vette. I then bought a daily driver so I was just using the Vette on the weekends and wanted something more fun and got a RT/10, then sold the RT/10 for a GTS. The only other choices at the time were Ferrari F355 or an older Lambo. I did not want to have to mess with maintenance of the Euros.

santo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
To be honest, there were no other cars on my list. It was either a GTS or an RT/10. I never even looked at a Vette as it,too was natural progression for me from a Dodge Stealth Turbo. I was either going to do it right or not at all.

Santo

Wild Bill

Enthusiast
Reaction score
None-it was my dream car since I first saw one.

Lost a bet with my brother-had to buy one (actually in my opinion I WON the bet :) :) )

Bill

Dave T (BADVENM)

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had an '03 Cobra knowing I wanted a Viper. Pemberton got the one I had always wanted a week later it was delivered and the Cobra taken back to Woodhouse. I think I had the Cobra maybe 3-4 months.

Matt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For me it was just natural progression. I started out with a Mustang Cobra then switched to a C5 Vette. I then bought a daily driver so I was just using the Vette on the weekends and wanted something more fun and got a RT/10, then sold the RT/10 for a GTS. The only other choices at the time were Ferrari F355 or an older Lambo. I did not want to have to mess with maintenance of the Euros.

I'm very similar. I've had GM muscle for years. I bought a '96 RT/10 about 5 years ago and then sold it earlier this year. I toyed with trying something different, Porsche GT3, Ferrari 355 or 360. In the end I bought another Viper. This time a Blue/White '97 GTS. It's an amazing car and you really can't beat the bang for the buck. I may still end up with a Ferrari but I'm going to hold out a few years and see if I can add it rather than give up the Viper.

shelbynut

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There was no other car, my Viper has been my dream car since I first saw the prototype 15 years ago! It was a natural progression too...

1st Car at 17 - 1972 Duster with the leaning tower of power
then, skipping the winterbeaters, projects and minivans
70 Dart ******* 340
81 Lebaron 360
85 Omni GLH 2.2HO
87 Shadow ES Turbo 180hp 2.2 Turbo
87 Shelby CSX 275hp 2.2 Turbo Intercooled
87 Shelby Lancer 250hp 2.2 Turbo Intercooled
94 Viper RT/10!

Think back over the past 20 years, I had about 20 cars, ALL Dodge except for that $500 Chevette winter ****** we won't talk about....

Jay

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was between the V8 Lotus Esprit or the Viper. I ended up with the Viper because there is much more things one can do with the Viper than the Lotus. I never looked back and am very happy for my decision.

WICKDXS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Drove a hole host of Corvette's before; started with a 69 Big Block, traded that for an 87 C4 roadster, then a 96 Collectors Edition with an LT4 traded that for a 98 Indy Pace Car (minus god awful stickers).

Most of my corvette buddies gradually left the GM fold and bought Vipers. They tried to convince me for several years to step up but I kept driving the C5 until a road trip in August with the Oregon Viper club when I was convinced to change... not a moments regret :2tu: .

pattymelt3605

Enthusiast
Reaction score

That is funny, I was the EXACT same except I had a Z28 not a Cobra. :laugh:

GimmeTheSpeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
first I went with was a Saleen S351... I had that for a couple years then finally reached the motherland... and sold it for my GTS... it's been a music video ever since :)

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess I'm like most everyone else. There were no other choices for me except a Viper. I just didnt know what year I'd end up with. I inquired about a 96' RT/10 but the owner told me he had changed his mind and wasnt selling. So I found a low mileage 94' RT/10, but when it went to Dodge to be checked out, it turned out to be a lemon. About 5 mins after hanging up the phone from the Dodge dealership giving me a LIST of problems with the 94', my cell phone rang and it was the 96' RT owner. He had changed his mind again and WAS going to sell it. 2 days after having him take it to his Dodge dealer and the car getting a clean bill of health, I was in NC picking up my Snake :nana:

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had a 87 Camaro 6cyl, 85 Trans Am, 95 Mustang GT vert. All were cool at the time I had them for daily driving. Since 1989 when I saw pictures and articles on the Viper prototype, it was my dream car. When I paid my mortgage off, 4 days later I was able to find one. There were no other car makes optional. Only questions were for color, GTS or RT/10, and year. :cool:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wandered aimlessly throughout the eighties wondering if there would ever be a car made that would light me up. Then one day a 94 RT/10 passed in front of me. The rest is history.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Went through a bunch of cars before choosing the Viper. I ALWAYS wanted the Viper but kept getting told it was an impossible car to drive by many so it was not always the first choice although I wanted it to be. After looking at several cars, I finally said screw it and make the decision. As for the cars that I looked at beforehand, they were:

Acura NSX-T
Not enough power for the price. It was between this and the Viper as the final two.

Lotus Esprit
Repair cost and reliability were like a Ferrari F355. TOO EXPENSIVE!

Honda S2000
Yeah it was a drastic difference but loved at the time. Not enough power as well.

BMW M3 SMG
Loved the car except just was nothing special.

Porsche 911 Carrera Convertible
It was a Porsche. Did not do much for me and was VERY VERY small inside.

Mercedes SL500
Loved the car but was auto. Had a 2001 and loved it, so naturally thought about a new one.

I love the choice I made and do not regret it at all! I love the car and I must say, I have met so many nice and interesting people through the club. Not a better car club in the world! GOTTA LOVE THE NY/CT REGION!

Topawam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Motorcycle, Motorcycle, and more Motorcycle... Cars were never in my mind, until I raced a black stripped yellow GTS on I95 with my ZX12R. Came back home, searched the www for Viper, found the VCA; my first car was in my garage 6 months later.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bought a new '04 Z06. Had it 3 months, then saw a red GTS on a dealers lot. Owned it 2 days later. Bye bye vette. No regrets ever.

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right forum for the question but I am really interested in what other cars were on your shopping list before deciding on a Gen 1 or Gen 2. And do you still wonder about these other candidates?

since i knew i was gonna road race my viper there was no other alternative for me other than a corvette which i own now as a back up car in case i stack my viper. i use my vette as my daily driver and my viper on the weekends. my next purchase will be to add a ford GT to my collection and sell my C5 Z06 and replace it with the new C6 Z06.

NOTV8

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ordered Z06. on the way home saw the GTS on another dealership. Looked at it.... canceled the zo6 the rest is history.

Batboy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was leaning towards and older vette that I would "tune". Then I realized I probably wouldn't, so I started looking at cars that turn heads. I considered the Acura NSX, an older Ferrari 308, the Lotus Esprit V8 and of course the Viper. Since the Viper is way faster than all of those and American made... well... I think I made the right choice.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bought a new '04 Z06. Had it 3 months, then saw a red GTS on a dealers lot. Owned it 2 days later. Bye bye vette. No regrets ever.

Ordered Z06. on the way home saw the GTS on another dealership. Looked at it.... canceled the zo6 the rest is history.

Classic stories. Those get me the best. The Viper just does something to potential buyers. LOL!

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BMW M5.
I had never really owned a true sports car before, but I owned a BMW 530i that I used to track and liked it very much. My business was doing very well and I started contemplating a purchase of a 1 or 2 year old M5. But in June of 2003 America went to war under a unanimous resolution by the UN in which Germany “along with France and Russia” backed out and left America and a few other smaller countries to do their dirty work, AGAIN.
I said to hell with another German automobile. A few weeks later I saw a Viper for the first time in my life. It was a 2000 Steel Grey GTS and I was blown away. I brought my wife back the next day to take it for a drive, fully expecting it to drive like one of my Dads rattle box Vettes. I could not believe how tight and well built it was not to mention the looks and performance. I made an offer on the car they didn’t take and bought another one 6 months later.
To me the Viper say’s it all about America, hence my licenses plate USPWR

.............And now you know, the rest of the story :)

Red Mist Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I was able to afford my Viper, I didn't look at anything else. I have never looked back or regretted my purchase. I love my Viper.