what plugs into this plug?

caj98GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am almost finished with my rebuild (I will post a full recount of the event later)and I have a question. I noticed a plug, female "socket" with several copper pins screwed into a **** on firewall end of the passenger side cylinder head. I can not find any wire/connector anywhere in the vacinity that looks like it needs a home or belongs there. Can anyone tell me whether or not this is an active connector and if so, what plugs into it and where does it originate?

Thanks in advance for the help.

OP
OP
C

caj98GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK - 75 views and no answers - I guess I should be more detailed in my description. Also, perhaps someone can run out an take a look under the hood and see exactly what I am talking about.

If you are standing at the passenger side of the engine bay and you look down at the left hand side of valve cover/head assembly, you will see a round plug recepticle on the flat surface of head flange. This plug is located on the end of the head closest to the firewall. It is mounted on a horizontal surface. Mine is quite easy to see but that might be because I still have my windshield cowl removed.

Can anyone help me out here! Usually there are people chiming in left and right with the answer!

Thanks again guys.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it is a 3/8" thread, it is in need of a coolant plug. that is if it is in the head. a pic would help quite a bit, though...

JD

OP
OP
C

caj98GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
no, it is definitely electrical. Sorry I do not have a pic - I am sitting here at the office and the car is at home. Believe me, I wish I was there working on it.

Joseph - your name came up quite a few times while Gregg Good and I were working on my heads and setting the valves - everytime we got a torque wrench out and got close to the windshield we would caution each other to not pull a Joseph Dell and crack the glass!

hemibeep

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Stumped...I am also rebuilding a car...no round electrical plug there on my 97.
Have a square plug nearby for wiper motor (square)
Have the harness there for tranny (square plug)
ac plugs there(not round)
Maybe someone had a block heater installed ? ? ?

Just really nothing with a round plug in that vicinity

Reaction score
What happened was that somehow the heads got switched from side to side. The sending unit that belongs on the front of the driver's side head is now at the back (firewall) end of the passenger side head. All he has to do is switch the sending unit with the plug, that's it.

OP
OP
C

caj98GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks to Greg Good - he figured it out and tracked me down on my mobile to explain why I was so frustrated! Despite the fact that he had it set up the right way initially, I must have accidentially swapped sides while putting the gaskets on, etc. Oh well - now I know my engine even better than I thought I already did!

Greg - when I got home this evening I easily found the plug you were describing and it looks fairly straight forward from here. I will yell if I run into trouble.

Guys, I will post a complete chronology on my rebuild in the next 7 - 10 days - however, in the mean time, let me give huge kudos to Greg Good. Not only is this guy technically brilliant when it comes to heads and motors, he is a great guy who is willing to go above and beyond the call of duty to make sure you get things set up right. In my case it meant spending 4+ hours at my house on a Saturday afternoon pressure testing my block and measuring for pushrod length and a second Saturday afternoon where we spent 3 hours installing pushrods, roller rockers, and setting the pre-load on the valves. He is a class act and I would highly recommend him.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What happened was that somehow the heads got switched from side to side. The sending unit that belongs on the front of the driver's side head is now at the back (firewall) end of the passenger side head. All he has to do is switch the sending unit with the plug, that's it.

Ahhh, I had the answer............until Greg ruinned it for me. LOL

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ironically, the _other_ side needs to be plugged. :)

Yes... be careful of that windshield. It is magnetically attracted to torque wrenches on the RT/10!

JD

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jandrix302