What The Heck Jon B./Partsrack

OP
OP
R

revived_gearhead

Viper Owner
Reaction score
As being the original poster in this thread, all I can say is the Viper world is a better place with people like Jon. I have a business where , like Jon, I'm the only person making things happen. We don't have front desk people to put you on hold, inexperienced people that give you the wrong information and sales people passing the buck. Jon is a one man show that tries to offer support to thousands of Viper owners and share is knowledge when he can. Jon has actually talked me out of different parts because they were not what I needed or were not worth a crap. I've been in the same boat where three lines are flashing and 15 voice messages need to be responded to. At times it may be necessary to be to the point to be able to service all of your customers. I too have thin skinned customers with tons of experience in our field of work, but need to be handled carefully because every new job is like their first. We do the best we can.
Jon, thanks again and the car is on it's way!!!!!!!!!!!

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
More importantly,why doesn't my Avatar work yet? :(

1. We have no request from you for one.
2. You are listed as an enthusiast, not a Viper owner. Only Viper owners get Avatars, and only of Vipers.
3. No VIN in your profile, also would indicate that you are not an owner.

Having said that your sig would indicate you ARE an owner, update your profile with your vin and wmail big-n-italian you pic and you will be all set, I will change your title too.

You have a PM and an email

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Glad to help! It was fun going against Big-Bad-Insurance on the Diminished Value. I have a proud track record on that with several of you. And buying your "Organ Donor" up-front(at YOUR stated asking price, not as Mr. Snide suggested) was OK with me, and you kept the goodies you wanted to keep. THANKS! We both did OK.

And YES I remember the bumble-bee birthday boy..that was FUN for me too! THANKS

And YES Mr C: mention this thread for an ADDITIONAL Grumpy $50 off your deeply-discounted HRE order. I mean it.

OK, I try never to reply, (waste of time, because bashing suppliers is entertaining) but here is a No-Win elaboration:

Decades ago when I worked on a major airline ticket counter, I occasionally had an IRATE client due to situations that no one could posssibly control. They would usually shout somethink like "ILL NEVER FLY F-ING BLANKITY AIRLINE AGAIN" The entire counter staff would look over becasue they knew my reply was coming: "NEXT PERSON IN LINE, PLEASE?!" The message: If you are never coming back, Im moving on.

Fast Forward 40 years: Important note: The same [almost always anonymous unknown] guys who take an opportunity for "REVENGE Posts" for some perceived slight always seem to pop in. If I owe you an apology, then be a man and stop taking revenge here for some perceived slight. I wish they were happier people, and would want to mend fences like I want, not BASH-BASH with partial truths. I dont hold grudges. If I was rushed or seemed rude to you I'M TRULY SORRY! Truth: The highlight of this month, August '06 was that TWO GUYS who usually pile on here, both came back and actually bought something from me! THANK YOU MM and TS. I hope to re-gain your trust and business. Thank You for the order and the forgiveness and for a 2nd chance. {Ive mellowed since my airline days.)

My name and rep are out there...at least be man or woman enuf to use your real name so I know if I DO in fact owe you an apology. It will be forthcoming.
And please use ALL of the true facts, not just some of them that make you look more wounded. facts to follow..

That Said: NOTHING makes me grumpier than time-wasting, esp. when 1-2 lines are on hold with former customers. Once you have shopped the product-price info (esp after 1-2-3 calls and web research!) you are wasting MY TIME and you are wasting those folks' on hold time, as well as your own time.

Do you really think you can make people believe I'd ask for your card info on the 1st call before you placed an order? What would I charge you? Most prices are on our site. HOWEVER: If you have called 2-3 times, I AM going to ASK FOR YOUR ORDER before giving out more tech support, or ask to move to the next call. Buy or Bye. Sorry. If no calls are holding, WE CAN CHAT!!! Fact. (Sorry? Do I need to apoligize? PS. I have voicemails to return, Emails too)

There are posters on here who knew NOTHING about a Viper when they bought one. The highlight of my day is SHARING OUR MUTUAL PASSION with them when time permits. PLEASE CALL! [Lots of folks suggested a 1-900-ASKJONB line at $5/minute!] But I spilled my guts to some newbees or was-bees on 3-4-5+ friendly calls, only to have several of them pick my brain dry, and then buy-direct elsewhere. Or expect me to provide all the comparisons and info, to help them eventually buy on ebay-of-thieves. That is MY cross to bear, but I cannot give non-customers TIME for unlimited info-gathering-comparison calls, to help them buy elsewhere to save $5-10. Even if I enjoy chatting about VIPERS!

Other Truths - My database shows a whiner who claims to have spent over $5k has actually spent less than $800.00 since 2001. -A guy who claims I demanded payment before helping, truly has a quote-after-quote on file, sometimes ending with 'gotta check with the wife.' -The O2 Sim guy was told 'the label was printed in 2003, so only those years are on it. Numerous tuners buy these from me, with ZERO problems. We dont loan electrical troubleshooting parts. Neither does Dodge.' Our web shows NO REFUNDS ON SIMS. He was offered a future parts credit. That Credit is in his file as he was told, but he forgot to mention THAT truth. Im sorry the sims did not fix the problem that we did not cause... But his story was indeed HALF TRUE. Final Truth: I will battle manufacturers on your behlf to honor the MFR warranty IF ANY. I dont design or build 98% of this stuff. The Manufacturer's warranty applies, with HELP FROM ME to keep them focused. (Hundreds of you KNOW THIS !!)

I like to joke with some of you 'favorites' that "The Wife" is really the C.F.O.! But to use her as an excuse to seek in-depth info and then to not buy something? After repeat quotes / questions / non-Sales, once your file is full of quotes on competitively priced stuff, and no sales? Buy Or Bye. Maybe I should be talking with your wife? I'm not losing your biz.....just losing my TIME! I need to spend time with our VALUED CUSTOMERS who I would absolutely do anything humanly possible to help. And if no one is holding, it can be a LOT of FUN! I hope we can mend fences, but NOT HERE for your continued entertainment at my expense. I pay VCA to be here.....

Thank You, most sincerely........

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, I seldom join one of these threads as fuel fuels the fire no matter which way the wind blows.

Yes, I have had the terse response from Jon. One time I even got mad because he was not able to help (remember when I was trying to get exhaust sections to join 1998+ stock headers?). But without fail Jon has helped me to the best purchase and given a fair price. In addition he assisted in resolving an issue on tires that was driving me nuts.

So have I bought stuff from Jon? Yes (circa $5k (Jon you can double check me on that one if you want). Will I buy again? Yes. Will I ignore the drivel here? Yes!

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JonB once yelled so loud at me on the phone on a Monday morning that my wife overheard it in the next room and went into early labor. Even though we lost the child, I would still buy again from Partsrack. I don't hold grudges either.

2MANYTOYS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I bought my car in 02 I knew very little about the viper. I did know that I want mods. I called Jon and was amazed at the time he spent with me pricing HRE's, Hi-flow cats,etc.... He also told me about products that work good together and some that don't. I didn't buy on the first call or even on the second. However, I ended up being in the top 3-5% of purchasers from him that year. At least that's what he told me one time. I've never ever had a bad experience with him and occassionaly I will have a question and call him for advice and/or pricing. Two years ago I needed a roll bar before one of the V10 Nats. races. I couldn't find one anywhere. Not only did Jon come through but he put me on the phone with Autoform and managed to talk them in to selling me one at a big discount that included shipping. Most importantly they arrived in 3 days just in time for the race. I will continue to give him my business as long as I have a Viper. Thank you Jon for giving the service, support, and pricing that you provide.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Once again the bi-monthly love-hate Jon B debate right on schedule. The man is a marketing genius.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just ordered my Corsa and 3" RT cats from Jon. Darn if it wasn't 5 minutes into the call before he was pressuring me to let him send me more free stuff for my son. Right after that, he demanded that he give me a great package price on my order, and then he had the nerve to ensure that I had all the stuff I needed. I about lost it when he took the time to verify all my information was correct and inform me of shiping methods and dates. I even called early just to try to get him to be grumpy BUT HE WOULDN'T COMPLY!!! That Jon B....If I ever order from PartsRack again, it won't be soon enough. Thanks Jon! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Mr Hemi Head

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe this thread will get Jon B p.o. enough to provide an extra special discount on a wheel/tire package. What an opportunist I am. LOL

I would like to take this opportunity and thank the poster who started the rant about Jon :bonker: B. I thought this thread would get Jon in the mood :evilmad: for an extra special discount on wheels and it worked. The extra $50 off was applied to his already impossible to beat price on HRE wheels.

And no Jon did not ask for a credit card, the order was entered prior to him receiving my personal check. :2tu:

In fact I received stuff from my last order before the check was mailed. :eek:

QUICKV10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
well I wasn't the first one to bash jon's business technique, but I hope all of you guys got better service and discounts, because of my rant. Cheers and well wishes to all, I'll be busy putting my Hurst shifter in now that I;m feeling pretty good about. i love diggen in to these cars to see what there made of.

XS TORQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I cannot say what $$ amount I have spent with Jon, but it has been some thousands. I have caught him when he was in a hurry, in which case you get quick answers, and no extra gabbing. I have also had conversations that lasted long enough to run me out of time.
I think he is a busy guy, and if he has time to talk (and you're not just shopping for info to buy cheaper elsewhere) he will give info that few others could give.
We have done some odd deals (trades, swaps, me selling to him, etc) and I have always felt that I got a fair price. Maybe not the lowest anywhere, but always fair. Also knowing that he will assist if there are issues raises my comfort level, and is worth a bit of money also.
My $.02, discounted 10% today only!

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
-The O2 Sim guy was told 'the label was printed in 2003, so only those years are on it. Numerous tuners buy these from me, with ZERO problems. We dont loan electrical troubleshooting parts. Neither does Dodge.' Our web shows NO REFUNDS ON SIMS. He was offered a future parts credit. That Credit is in his file as he was told, but he forgot to mention THAT truth. Im sorry the sims did not fix the problem that we did not cause... But his story was indeed HALF TRUE. Final Truth: I will battle manufacturers on your behlf to honor the MFR warranty IF ANY.

I was not offered a credit initially. If you would have offered a store credit in the full amount I would have been fine with that. Your prices are decent enough and you have just about everything. Instead INITIALLY you told me you don't do tech support and you can't help with a mis-diagnosis. You also said either I did something wrong or there must be something wrong with the car. These things just plug in, very simple. When I plugged them in the check engine light came up. When I took them out, re-installed the o2 sensors and cleared the code everything was fine. Later you e-mailed me and told me to swap the pink and yellow wires on the sims, late 04 and new cars sometimes require that. I did what you suggested and blew the down stream o2 fuse. You still stand by these O2 sims, when the manufacturer doesn't even stand behind them anymore...( casper electronics ) I asked you to allow me to return them and you came up with this line about not loaning out electrical items. I didn't want to borrow them, I wanted to eliminate my secondary o2 sensors without setting off a check engine light. So I called you and ordered them up expecting them to do what they are supposed to do.

10140sims.JPG

anyway...keep on talking.

-Kurtis - Man enough

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fast Forward 40 years: Important note: The same [almost always anonymous unknown] guys who take an opportunity for "REVENGE Posts" for some perceived slight always seem to pop in. If I owe you an apology, then be a man and stop taking revenge here for some perceived slight. I wish they were happier people, and would want to mend fences like I want, not BASH-BASH with partial truths. I dont hold grudges. If I was rushed or seemed rude to you I'M TRULY SORRY! Truth: The highlight of this month, August '06 was that TWO GUYS who usually pile on here, both came back and actually bought something from me! THANK YOU MM and TS. I hope to re-gain your trust and business.

I don't hold grudges and I know how it is to run a business, I sympathize with you about the "shoppers". I've spent real money with you and sent friends to buy stuff from you. So lets mend this fence....I would like you to allow me to return these sims that do not work and credit back my credit card or give me a credit at your store for the full amount.

Seems fair enough don't you think?

BLWNGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also understand shoppers since I own 3 business myself.... But how do you get that I only spent $800 from you Jon?!?! The name under this account is mine but I used my business account when ordering my corsa track and other items!?!?
So ... I have an opinion. That opinion is that you have a bad day many times when I have called. I also have a lot of friends that own vipers and you have screwed a couple of them over.... period. So ... Your OPINION of me is a whiner. If that is whining to you because you treat people like crap, and try to extract things from them.. then my OPINION is that I don't like you... your business practices... or will order from you again!!! ohh... also... my opinion is that you are also a Jack@ss...

thanks for you support

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well you guys know how busy Jon B is? Can you imagine calling him up and asking him for a bolt? (One of the specialized bolts that go under the front fascia was what I needed.) And then he looks up in his customer list and sees you have never ordered from him? Yeah, he busted my b@lls, big time. I felt like a little schoolgirl and I did wet myself a little. Long story short, he sent me the bolt for free. Its hard buying parts when you have a low mi stock viper that you dont drive very much but someday I'm gonna pay him back big time with an order. And it could be a big order like 50-60 bucks! And he can bust my b@lls again but you guys must realize JonB is irreplaceable. When the sheet hits the fan, and you really need him, he'll go to bat for you and like him or not, he's one of the top sponsers/suppliers of Viper parts and if you are an owner long enough, we are all going to need his services.

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
-The O2 Sim guy was told 'the label was printed in 2003, so only those years are on it. Numerous tuners buy these from me, with ZERO problems. We dont loan electrical troubleshooting parts. Neither does Dodge.' Our web shows NO REFUNDS ON SIMS. He was offered a future parts credit. That Credit is in his file as he was told, but he forgot to mention THAT truth. Im sorry the sims did not fix the problem that we did not cause... But his story was indeed HALF TRUE. Final Truth: I will battle manufacturers on your behlf to honor the MFR warranty IF ANY. I dont design or build 98% of this stuff. The Manufacturer's warranty applies, with HELP FROM ME to keep them focused. (Hundreds of you KNOW THIS !!)
not looking for a response...just feeling a little spiteful so I thought I'd mention....I tried mending fences.

----------
Hey John, I'd like to order a few items. Where should I send the sims in order to utilize my credit....and what is the amount of the credit?

thanks - Kurtis

----------
After you stated you were 'done with PartsRack' and then BASHED me on the VCA site?
However, If you can reverse the bashing AFTERWARDS, I will still honor that goodwill credit, (assuming the sims are not damaged.) Please send the sims for 3rd party evaluation to:

Doug Levin Motorsports
Doug Levin
349 NW 170th St
No Miami FL 33169

If Doug says they are OK, you get a full $179 merchandise credit. Then, at your convenience, id expect a simple VCA retraction of sorts ..... in your own words of course.

JonB - PartsRack
"If It Fits On or In a VIPER"

----------
You really are an interesting character .... http://www4.forum.viperclub.org/showflat...true#Post728774

You spoke of mending fences - The tone in your e-mail doesn't portray happy fence mending. There would be retraction of sorts. More importantly I would be less hesitant to send customers your way.

-Kurtis

-------------------

I sent the sims to Doug like he asked...

got this e-mail

-----------------
Jon,

I have the sims - they are NOT wired properly for the 2004 Viper. Also, they are no good.
The wires have been cut and should not have been spliced; it compromises the calibration. I can change the wiring for your customer however they may not work. He can still try them ... ??

Best regards,
Doug
Doug says that the corrective re-location of the wires WOULD have worked to make these sims function in 2004-2005-2006. (I had suggested to you in advance this may be necessary.) He states that the CUTTING of the wires has probably rendered them no good, but he is willing to re-locate the wires and return to you. He may also be willing to test them on a car....

---------------

I shouldn't have had to screw with them in the first place.

---------------
Kurtis. NEITHER PartsRack or Caspers had ever ad a defective Sim. They, nor we, return/ refund tried out (used) sims. (or cimputers, etc) We would have to be goofy.

On your behalf, I had a chat w/ Dan Cragin, at D-C Perf, who is an expert, and who buys and uses a LOT of Casper's Sims He has never seen this code, ever. He did suggest this, the problem MAY BE this: late 04+05+06 Oxys had a PCM change in late, late 2004. The pink and yellow wires may need to be swapped with each other. If this is NOT the fix, the O2 sim fuse could be blown.

Good Luck

JonB - PartsRack, Thanks for your business!

------------

...I'm still not getting my credit :2tu: I couldn't care less about 179 bucks, I just don't like to get taken by a guy that I spent 6 grand with a few months earlier. I don't even need the lousy sims anymore. I reconnected my factory o2 sensors and strapped them to the inside of the trans tunnel...no codes no problems...should have tried that in the first place but anyway I'm got a chance to find out what kind of guy this Jon B is.

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to see an old post pop back up, that was originally due to a kudos of JonB that then gets a smack in the face.

I am more then sure someone is going to chime in about returning used parts that have been modified, and that Jon B went beyond the call of duty to even attempt to give you your money back if his conditions were met. (I guess I kinda just did).

But My point in the post is that Jon B is the grouchest supplier/seller of any type of parts I have ever seen. YET, he has an AMAZING FOLLOWING, me included (check past posts, we were at each others throats), will do anything for a good customer, but just doesnt have time for people who dont "get him."

Thats the short of it, Jon B isnt going to change, he will get you what EVER you need for a Viper part, but dont expect cupcakes and roses as part of the intereaction. I for one have come to terms with this, and can say that my interactions with Jon B ever since we started mending the fences a few months ago has been nothing but positive.

Also be smart on how much a supplier should take a loss due to his willingness to help someone out. If he cant resell it, why should he take the hit?

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR = +1 for Jon B.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The more direct competition you have the better the customer service will be. There are really very few places one can go to find Viper parts and accessories of the kind Jon B can provide, along with the knowledge and experience he has. BUT, if there was a toss up between two competing companies offering the same products and prices I'm thinking Jon would be get a little more "friendly" to the tire kickers as well to survive. Put someone with Chuck Tators customer service and "attitude" in Jon B's business and see what happens.

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also be smart on how much a supplier should take a loss due to his willingness to help someone out. If he cant resell it, why should he take the hit?

On smartness.....the part is "defective" I did not expect him to resell it. I just expected to get my money back. I wanted to return them before he told me to modify them. If you can think of a good reason why I should take the hit, I'll leave this alone.

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

On smartness.....the part is "defective" I did not expect him to resell it. I just expected to get my money back. I wanted to return them before he told me to modify them. If you can think of a good reason why I should take the hit, I'll leave this alone.

Obviously, I have no interest in fighting on this topic, as I am just an outsider looking in. I assume there are two sides to this story, and with Jon B being out of town due to a funeral, its probably not going to get addressed for a few days. But as Jon stated above, he usually doesnt respond to these, as the benefit is minimal. I hope you two get it worked out, I'm sure Jon would be as accomodating as possible, if you were to continue to be a customer. If not, I really cant blame him for cutting his loss and just moving on. But more then anything, I hope you two work this out.

Good Luck,

Jon

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm still up for mending fences...all the e-mail jabbing is just keyboard play to me. If he would step up and let me use that lousy credit I'd give him a +1 also.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also understand shoppers since I own 3 business myself.... But how do you get that I only spent $800 from you Jon?!?! The name under this account is mine but I used my business account when ordering my corsa track and other items!?!? So ... I have an opinion. That opinion is that you have a bad day many times when I have called. I also have a lot of friends that own vipers and you have screwed a couple of them over.... period. So ... Your OPINION of me is a whiner. If that is whining to you because you treat people like crap, and try to extract things from them.. then my OPINION is that I don't like you... your business practices... or will order from you again!!! ohh... also... my opinion is that you are also a Jack@ss...
thanks for you support

1. This discussion is in the wrong category.

2. It really should remain between the two parties.

3. Jon has helped many of us, including me, and I hope that those who believe that they may have had some sort of negative experience understand that their perception will not alter our view of Jon based on our own positive experiences.

4. Many Viper owners tend to be somewhat high strung, independent, demanding, hard to please people. Servicing the group will always be a bit of a challenge. Jon has accepted this challenge but keep in mind that he is also a Viper Owner - not that there is anything wrong with that. LOL.

Hi Jon.

Bob

troyrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ordered some tires from Jon and there was a mistake in the tires that were actually sent. Jon took care of the problem accepted all blame and got my tires to me over night. I also saved $50.00. He was real professional and promptly answered any questions I had.

I will continue to do business with him.

Just my experience.

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is an oppertunity, I would have posted here in the past for all the wrong reasons. Now I am a "me too" "what a great guy" also. Fences mended, thanks again.

Anyone that has had a problem, be a man call him again, shoot Jon an E-Mail try to fix what ever screwed up. Jon is a valuable resource, don't let it go un-appreciated.

V 10 MAFIA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My official Jon B rules from a few years ago for first timers:

1. Try to do research on a product before calling Jon so you know what the hell your talking about.

2. If he speaks then shut the Fk up and listen.

3. If you don't like his response, don't run to the internet and cry. Instead tell him what you think of him while he is on the phone.

4. Shut the Fk up and listen to his response.

5. Decide whether you want to do business again or find someone else that will bake you a cake and send you inferior parts.

4. Don't bash him until you know him. If you ever need a part desperately and know what you are talking about, Jon comes through about 90% of the time.

5. Try to Imagine that he is from New York.

6. Having a difficult conversation with him? Go back to rule #1

DRose

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would love for Jon to write this book, Customers; The Good, Bad and Ugly. I get to work with him once a week and the stories I could tell, but my lips are sealed.

I have never worked with a man as honest and generous as Jon. He not only goes the extra mile but two and three miles beyond. Jon takes the extra time to consult with customers so they get what they need. Of course there are times when a customer insists on something and Jon complies, and when things go wrong Jon is the bad guy. There is a lot of incorrect advice being given on this board because people don't understand that the YEAR matters.

Support the proven vendors that support this website, Viper mag, VCA notes and your club activities. They are there for you year after year. They know your cars and understand your desires.

THANK YOU PARTSRACK, JOHN ARCHER, Bob Woodhouse, Dan Craigan, Roe Racing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery