What tires are Gen III's owners buying now?

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just learned they're no longer making the Michelin run-flats pilot sports. Is Dodge now telling us to go with the PS2's?

When the PS2's first came out they were saying genIII owners should stay with the runflats.

And does that mean we need to buy the flat tire kit to carry around?:rolleyes:

Reaction score
I just learned they're no longer making the Michelin run-flats pilot sports. Is Dodge now telling us to go with the PS2's?

When the PS2's first came out they were saying genIII owners should stay with the runflats.

PS2's are very popular but the KUMHO XS tires are going to be VEEEERY popular now that there are some experiance with them coming out.

YES on the tire kit.

OP
OP
Andrew/USPWR

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PS2's are very popular but the KUMHO XS tires are going to be VEEEERY popular now that there are some experiance with them coming out.

YES on the tire kit.

Thanks.
Are these great street tires? I don't think I'll be tracking this Viper.

How much are them hitting us up for the tire kit?

Reaction score
Thanks.

How much are them hitting us up for the tire kit?[/quote

I bought them for the the street and a little track/autocross. They are great on the road and will be pretty good in the rain. What I think is best though is they are very predictable and forgiving when they are approaching the limit of adhesion. This will prevent a lot of snake bites IMHO.

The tire kits are about $135 and the sealant is replaceable for about $60 if you happen to use it.

OP
OP
Andrew/USPWR

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks.

How much are them hitting us up for the tire kit?[/quote

I bought them for the the street and a little track/autocross. They are great on the road and will be pretty good in the rain. What I think is best though is they are very predictable and forgiving when they are approaching the limit of adhesion. This will prevent a lot of snake bites IMHO.

The tire kits are about $135 and the sealant is replaceable for about $60 if you happen to use it.

Thanks Mark. One more question, will have issues with run-flats up front and Kumho's or PS2's in back? My tires are all basicly new but for a double plug I have in a rear tire. For now it's holding air though.

HensleySRT-10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Andrew,

I agree with johnk above. Don't mismatch the tires unless you plan to do only straight line drags. The difference in adhesion (grip) between the two will cause you all sorts of problems.:nono:

OP
OP
Andrew/USPWR

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Andrew,

I agree with johnk above. Don't mismatch the tires unless you plan to do only straight line drags. The difference in adhesion (grip) between the two will cause you all sorts of problems.:nono:

I figured as much.:smirk:

Now, what can I do to use up the tires I have on the Viper?:confused:

:lmao:

HensleySRT-10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Honestly, I would probably just keep them as a spare set for emergencies, or for in between orders. That's what I'm going to do. You could possibly sell them on the classified section also.

Just my 2 cents.

OP
OP
Andrew/USPWR

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Honestly, I would probably just keep them as a spare set for emergencies, or for in between orders. That's what I'm going to do. You could possibly sell them on the classified section also.

Just my 2 cents.

thanks. So far the tires holding air so I'll milk them for as long as I can.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Regarding mismatched tires, what if you are just daily driving around town, matter that much? No hype, just reality please.

Reaction score
Regarding mismatched tires, what if you are just daily driving around town, matter that much? No hype, just reality please.

They can cause handling issues but they can also change the way the brakes work and the affect of ABS. On the other hand all the old drag cars had this compromise and they adjusted for it. The difference was they could not turn anyways so it was not an option. You can go 200 mph and have no choice so I still would not. IMO

FangZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now, what can I do to use up the tires I have on the Viper?

That's a good question that I have been asking myself as well. Just bought a set of Kumho's from PartsRack. Can't wait to get them on the car (snow will be melting away in the next few days). My runflats only have 4K miles on them and look like new, but the traction is really bad (due to age?). Maybe I'll list them on eBay...

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's a good question that I have been asking myself as well. Just bought a set of Kumho's from PartsRack. Can't wait to get them on the car (snow will be melting away in the next few days). My runflats only have 4K miles on them and look like new, but the traction is really bad (due to age?). Maybe I'll list them on eBay...

Just let me test drive your viper for about 10 minutes in an open parking lot. :D

Then when they change to your kumhos they can just pitch your run craps.

Just doing my part to help a fellow IN/KY Viper guy:lmao:

Indiana

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just ordered a set of 20" INVO's for my 01 but I think I will try the Kumho's on the 04

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They can cause handling issues but they can also change the way the brakes work and the affect of ABS. On the other hand all the old drag cars had this compromise and they adjusted for it. The difference was they could not turn anyways so it was not an option. You can go 200 mph and have no choice so I still would not. IMO

So no instantaneous death like seems to be the typical response on here?

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Any idea of anyone still selling the OE runflats and/or how much stock of such is out there? Tirerack.com says they are on back order.

Seeing as how my rears will run out when I still have ~60% left on my fronts, I'm not keen on wasting that. So I'd at least like to get a set of rears to finish off the current fronts (though I probably don't need them for nearly a year from now given current mileage accumulation), then thereafter I could switch completely to whatever is the latest and greatest at that time (if I even still have the current car out then).

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an extra set of wheels and I just ordered a set of the Kumho's, from Jon B. at the Parts Rack, for track day duty. I can't wait to get them on the car! The Nitto's sucked, IMHO!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456