What tires/wheels to run on ACR

CCBrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is no way to run on the stock tires on my ACR in the winter. While we don't get snow here, we get lots of rain and temps in the 30-40's...a bad combination with the stock tires. Any suggestions? I want to use the rims in the summer for mounting my track day tires as well. Thanks!

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
An ACR just left Woodhouse with PS2's for daily driving and the other tires are getting mounted to 6 spokes.

Bruce

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Almost unanimous, PS2's in OE sizes on either OE black sidewinders or on black center with polished lip Forgelines.

Works fine in the dry or wet.

WILDASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
An ACR just left Woodhouse with PS2's for daily driving and the other tires are getting mounted to 6 spokes.

Bruce
That one was mine. We get a lot of sudden (and often unpredicted) downpours in summer here, so I wanted something with more water handling capability than the Sport Cups for the street, and PS2s fill the bill nicely. I'm going to try them for autoX too, as I think they might heat up faster than the Sport Cups. We shall see. I think cold temperatures would be the limiting factor on the PS2-someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but as I recall, that tread compound is NOT recommended for ambient temps below 38 F.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have driven my PS2 on track in hard rain at 135 mph. They displace water like a submarine.
Michelin warns that below 40f this tire is not recommended......so be very careful in COLD + WET. I am the PACE CAR this weekend for an 18-hour enduro, WET and 40s....Ill report back!! MONDAY ILL BE SORE AND EXTRA-CRABBY !!!

Last edited:

dtenney

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PS they shipped YESTERDAY so dont be giving any 1st-hand anecdotes just yet !!!

THANKS AGAIN DAVID

Since I own an 09 ACR, I have experience with the ACR wheel(Speedline), and knowing how many variables OEMs test for I can easily recommend this wheel. Also owning the 08 SSG I have a set of PS2 tires, so I can say they are a better street tire. In fact, the Sport Cup is a poor street tire in my opinion because it resists heat too well and has limited rain capabilities. Only thing I will not know until the package arrives is the quality of the ACR blem wheels, if they look good then I think this will be a great everyday combo.

-David

cheryl mccally

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just drive my old sport cup take offs on the street and use the new cups or R6s at the track, I've had two ACRs so I already had another set of OEM ACR wheels. The cups aren't great in the rain but are no problem even in a downpour and cold at 60mph or below. Get above 60 and it's a very scary thing on cups in the wet or cold either one.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Since I own an 09 ACR, I have experience with the ACR wheel(Speedline), and knowing how many variables OEMs test for I can easily recommend this wheel. Also owning the 08 SSG I have a set of PS2 tires, so I can say they are a better street tire. In fact, the Sport Cup is a poor street tire in my opinion because it resists heat too well and has limited rain capabilities. Only thing I will not know until the package arrives is the quality of the ACR blem wheels, if they look good then I think this will be a great everyday combo. -David

I was kidding about 1st hand anecdotes !

I agree 100% on Sport Cups and PS2...Im sure youll like the wheels