what to look for when buying your first viper??

Reaction score
Looking for my first viper.Found one locally in NY.Was wondering what to look for when i go see it.Its a blue /white stripes 1996 gts.7000 miles.Thankful for any help. :usa:

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Buying a 1st Viper tips:
1. Establish your financial range.
2. Determine what is affordable in that financial range.
3. Do the above by searching ebay, autotrader.com, cars.com, and especially the viper club sites, like here, viperclub.org's classifieds, and viperalley.
4. Contact your insurance company to get your insurance rates to confirm that the purchase will be affordable.
5. Determine any other limitations you might have, such as mileage, mods, and color - and especially, whether you'll want an extended warranty.
6. When you find a car you are interested in, you will need to check the car out, and to do this, do the following:
a. first with a carfax report, a check of dealership records on the car, and whatever information the seller can provide you (including on maintenance), and determine what its warranty status is (currently under new, has extended, currently under extended, whether extended is transferable, whether an extended is available, etc.)
b. then get the examined, either by yourself if it is near (and be sure to familiarize yourself with what needs to be looked at), or if it is at a distance, politely post (on all the viper forums) a general request for a viper owner in the area to check the car out for you.
7. Bargain on the price, and make sure ALL arrangements are clear before traveling to get the car, and if not previously personally inspected, make sure it is clear that the deal is contingent upon your final inspection.
8. Buy the car and make sure you call your insurance company before you go anywhere and get it covered!

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When in NY; Get the Vin #. (You could) call Chuck Tator/Tator's Dodge 914-763-9507. Ask him if he has serviced the car, knows the car. There is a good chance he does/has.

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When in NY; Get the Vin #. (You could) call Chuck Tator/Tator's Dodge 914-763-9507. Ask him if he has serviced the car, knows the car. There is a good chance he does/has.

Jeff,
That's my fax#. :eek: My # is 914-763-3136

Viper99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
E mail me.
I'm the social director for the NY chapter of the VCA.
I think I might know the history behind the '96 Blue GTS. I'll also send you the NY membership directory so you can see where the snakes hide on Long Island.
Tony