What to look for when steering gets sloppy?

Bugeater

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tracked my racecar this weekend at VIR for an HPDE event. By my 3rd session of the first day (about mid-session) I noticed that during highspeed sections where steering input is very small and precise (and ingrained in muscle memory) the car was not pointing where it should be. ex: the steering input at the upphill esses and entry to hogpen. At first I thought the front tires had lost grip and the car was simply pushing. I thought that I was receiving normal steering input and the lack of input was due to worn tires. But - I looked down at the steering wheel and noticed it looked like it was not put on "top dead center". It seemed to get worse (the slack in the wheel, and loss of precise input) after a few laps. Steering felt tight driving to grid, and during the first couple laps.

Bottom line was that the steering wheel was put on correctly (as it was never removed since arriving). What I want to know is what problem does this typically point to?

I checked:
Power steering fluid.
For any leaks around the steering rack, tires and suspension.
For front wheel hub/bearing play.
Steering wheel (sparco removable) play.
For any noticable (to the eye) wear in steering linkage.

I changed:
Brake fluid.
Wheels and tires, to a fresh set of Hoosiers.

Any suggestions as to what to replace or tighten up? Any suggestions on how to diagnose steering rack wear/play? After driving my M5 up to DC I noticed just how darn sloppy my steering wheel was by the end of Sunday's sessions with the Viper.

Regards,
John

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This may be off-base, but have you had the 998 recall performed on the car?

Just thinkin' out loud.

Bob D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check the steering column shaft for play in the coupler. I noticed play in a friends 96 and that was the problem.

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Another possibility is alignment, specifically front wheel camber. Did you hit anything?

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check the steering column shaft for play in the coupler. I noticed play in a friends 96 and that was the problem.

My suggestion also, a club member has to have his replaced in the spring.
Bad coupler in shaft just before it gets to the steering rack. :nana:

OP
OP
B

Bugeater

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Will check the coupler.

To answer everyone else:
998 recall? Yep.
Alignment? Spot on.
Hit anything? Nope. Just the occasional apex..:)

...funny Tony. Yeah I missed "everything"...

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Obviously, both ends of the tie rod (with that wheel in the air.)

The tie rod should be stiff to rotate by hand. The outer one loosens in an up and down fashion, the inner one is a ball-in-socket that loosens axially to the rack. It's actually hard to tell if the inner is loose because the accordian boot hides so much of it.

The inner tie rod is a Dakota part (minus 1/2"). Let me know if that's the problem and I'll tell you how to make one. Otherwise you have to buy a new rack.

KepRght

Enthusiast
Reaction score
how many miles on the car? and all race miles? at 100k(street/freeway) the control arm bushings on my car had noticeable play when driving. i replaced everything to do with steering except the column to track down the play i felt. it was very hard to tell there was any play in the control arm bushings when checking on the lift. you can replace with stock rubber, or delrin. delrin is the way to go imo. its very stiff for the street, ride in a delrin car before you do it. you can get every rubber bushing made for the viper in delrin from north wind engineering 1-262-377-6057 hope that helps.

OP
OP
B

Bugeater

Enthusiast
Reaction score
23,000 miles on the ODO. She was born a racecar, and I believe the midwife was that sneaky bast-ard Eddie Martin out of Arizona. Lol.

Gonna check all of the suggestions given. Race season is over for me so time to get to work for maybe a DE or 2 before next spring...

Thanks all! Didnt expect alot of responses on steering!!!!

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
John,

I would begin to suspect steering rack bushings at the age of your (our) car(s). I found that the control arm bushings on mine had taken a noticeable set with only 17k on the ODO. If you are running big fat stickies, there is a whole lot of kickback that reacts through the rack bushings. They take a pounding on a track car.

George Murray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bugboy found his problem. I saw it today. Busted steering rack bracket passenger side, loose bracket drivers side. Plus, several other bushings and brackets weakened or damaged by the loose rack. It was a sight to behold. Lesson learned for me: check car out thoroughly like he did during down time to find the wear & tear issues that will be dangerous on the track.

I think he's soliciting used chewing gum and duct tape for repair materials...

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anybody have a picture of this steering coupler? The lower coupler on my 1996 RT/10 is exhibiting some "play" in it......... I need to replace or repair but cannot locate the part?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960