What type of battery are people changing to?

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are people putting the oem one back in are using something else?

Where are you buying it from and how much?

John

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most are using the Optima - available at all Batteries Plus stores for about $109-$119. It eliminates the acid slosh that makes such a mess on the battery tray, and rear fascia bolts.

Sometimes for tray "adjustment" is necessary to have the top posts clear the frame - but we've done 4 or 5 and not had a problem. not sure if the rumored side terminal Optima ever came to fruition.

HOWEVER, if you want a really killer battery - try Hawker Energy's dry cell - it's about 1/2 the weight of a stock battery and can be mounted anywhere - and it's MUCH smaller too. Usually need some custom fab for a new bracket to hold it down.

pullshard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the optima in my 2000 gts. I had to bend the crap out of the tray to get it to fit. I wrapped the the frame with a bicycle inner to be safe. I also have a odyssey in another car of mine. Very low profile, but it's low on the cranking power with the amps I have in that car. They sell very cool looking mounting hardware for the odyssey line.
http://www.odysseybatteries.com/auto.htm#bcigroup

Jerry Dobson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Factory Battery.

They fit, the terminals won't short out on the frame, they are backed by your dealer, they last 3+ years, they are not that expensive.

OP
OP
J

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most are using the Optima - available at all Batteries Plus stores for about $109-$119. It eliminates the acid slosh that makes such a mess on the battery tray, and rear fascia bolts.

Sometimes for tray "adjustment" is necessary to have the top posts clear the frame - but we've done 4 or 5 and not had a problem. not sure if the rumored side terminal Optima ever came to fruition.

HOWEVER, if you want a really killer battery - try Hawker Energy's dry cell - it's about 1/2 the weight of a stock battery and can be mounted anywhere - and it's MUCH smaller too. Usually need some custom fab for a new bracket to hold it down.

Janni

I talked to a guy at Advance Auto (locally) and he said the red top was top and side post combined. Does that sound accurate?

John

carguy07

Viper Owner
Reaction score
"I talked to a guy at Advance Auto (locally) and he said the red top was top and side post combined. Does that sound accurate?"

Yea, only way to get them. Fit fine on my 95.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes- what I meant was the side post only - that would guarantee a fit in all battery trays....

In some cars, the top posts come too close to the frame rail. "Adjusting" the tray usually solves the problem.

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone have any input on what the minimum clearance should be for the top posts? I just installed an optima and the top positive post cleared the frame fine, but the negative post is almost "flush" with the frame. By this I mean it fits but you'd need a feeler gauge to measure the clearance between the plastic hat and the frame; it is not wedged in but fits "neat". I left the plastic cover on it and the car runs fine, but curious about long term consequences. I rationalized that the car is negatively grounded, so no biggie.

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Big Med, you are right about only have to be concerned of + post touching the frame (BIG Spark)- is okay. I also like the Gell cell batteries for no spill acid or corrosion. Spend a few extra bucks and get the one with highest ColdCrankAmps, CCA. Also if you car is going to be parked over 2 weeks get a battery tender at a parts house. Hook it to you jumper lug under the hood. Close the hood, plug in the car and cover it if you want. The tenders will go on and off as the battery needs charge.

G

grcforce327

Red Optima here too!!!Not a big fan of battery acid leaking,especially when the battery is not easily visible!!! :2tu:

Guy C.

ptmstr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
anyone use odyssey batteries? what about the light weight racing batteries?

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are the Optima's top terminal posts lead?
If so could you use a saw to cut the post down so the clearance is better?

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
ViperJoe, I believe I've read here that you are NOT to saw down a battery post. Can't remember the reason but I believe it is a no-no.

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cutting the post opens the seal, from my search. You can cut it, but need to reseal with solder. Not a route I would pursue. If anything, I would mod my hanger.

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Janni

I talked to a guy at Advance Auto (locally) and he said the red top was top and side post combined. Does that sound accurate?

John

Wrong!!! A Red Top Optima is for cranking only. A D34/78 Red Top has both top and side posts. The D34 has top posts only. The Yellow Top is the Deep Cycle version which means it is suitable for accessory loads (radio, amps, gadgets, etc.). I use the Yellow Top D34/78 in my Gen. III.

R

RTED

I purchased my car 4 years ago and it had an Interstate battery in it. Still going strong! Might be because I use a Battery Tender every few weeks to keep the battery on full charge. When this one goes to battery heaven, I am going with another Interstate.....can't go wrong in my book!

SEASNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have cut off an Optima battery too low and just had a friend do the same thing. The battery definitely will not work if you cut too low and I cut less than 1/4" off. Unless you have a big soldering iron, it's not easy to fix. I had done one earlier and not had this problem - so I guess the height is not always the same. I would recommend "adjusting" the tray and adding a little non-conductive protection on the top side of the + terminal.

BTW, adjusting the tray takes some effort.

SNAKE BITE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I switched to an optima red top after my stock battery leaked and the acid ate through my amp wire that hooks directly to the battery.

Never again though, the optima went dead the first year I had it. My stock battery lasted more than 10 years and still didn't go dead on me.