What types of spark plugs and wires to use on a gts?

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Question: GTS-R wires are blue. MP are not. That would indicate a color change to prevent mixing and show it is different than the "regular" ones.

What is different on the R ones? Did the Rs need a higher voltage line or???

Sorry to hijack but as we are on the subject...;)

Grisoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice, Dave!

By the way, anyone have a picture of engine with MoPar blue wires?

Will do. JonB set me up with a set of NOS ORECA cables last summer and they are a purty Mopar blue. I think they are Magnecor's.

Grisoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice, Dave!

By the way, anyone have a picture of engine with MoPar blue wires?

Will do. JonB set me up with a set of NOS ORECA cables last summer and they are a purty Mopar blue. I think they are Magnecore's.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
how come all of the websites say the 438 champions dont work with the 1998 viper?

lol, you started this thread a month ago... this is looking like your exhaust project. Does it take a month for you to do everything?:dunno:;)

Here is Complete info on our spark plug situation for you:

Gen2 Plug = Champion (412) RC12LYC
Gen3 Plug = Champion (438) RC12ECC

RC12 = Resistor,14mmThread,3/4"Reach,5/8"Hex,12-heatrange
LY/C = ExtendedElectrodGap&.290"CoreNoseProjection / CopperPlusDesign
E/CC = ExtendedElectrodGap&.290"CoreNoseProjection / Double Copper

Many of us run the Gen3 plug in the Gen2 motor as it is basically an updated version of the plug with a double copper core.

Websites do not know this and will only show the OEM/stock plug as being compatible.

See this thread for the original discovery of using the ECC plug in the Gen2 by Dan@ViperSpecialty:
http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/581138-Spark-plug-recomendations

Pick wichever you'd like. either will work just fine. I suggest just going to your local autostore and picking them up. I usually find them in stock for 2 or 3 bucks a piece.

Last edited:

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
DOM-

The LYC and the ECC are the same core nose projection of .290

In champions infinite wisdom, an "E" designation is the same an an "LY" designation... but if you try to break down the "L" and "Y" separately, they mean something else.

Why in the world they didn't call the RC12LYC an RC12EC, is beyond me. The only difference between the LYC and and ECC is the copper core ground electrode, which helps prevent detonation on top of carrying more current.

Grisoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will do. JonB set me up with a set of NOS ORECA cables last summer and they are a purty Mopar blue. I think they are Magnecor's.
Mopar blue for ya
You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
D

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
lol, you started this thread a month ago... this is looking like your exhaust project. Does it take a month for you to do everything?:dunno:;)

Ya, pretty much. I usually take my time to get info and weigh my options and sweat things out. plus it's the winter. I ordered my mufflers on Feb 1, and ordered these spark plugs yesterday. :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave