What would it take for you to trade your current Viper for the GenIII?

FUSCUCLA1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmmm thats a good question. I don't think I would ever give up my Gen I for a Gen III. If anything I would just add to it, but before I add a second Viper I think I would rather get some different cars (911TT, M5, an SUV)into my collection. I was looking forward to adding a Viper but I'll have to wait and see if the SRT can grow on me enough to top my list. The coupe however is a definite must have and I just may have to get the SRT to be a part of that certificate program. Like you said I would have to drive one first.

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i wouldn't trade my no frills gen 1. each year a couple of creature comforts are added. but if DC wants to throw in a
Ford GT-40 i'll gladly pick one up, maybe 2...

GTzViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only GenIII I would consider trading my babies for is the VGX. I love both the RT and GTS equally they each have their own personalities, their own look, but are still Vipers which is what (in my opinion) is laking on the SRT design. I think Dodge got the VGX right, it's a new design that keeps the original aggressiveness but you just can't cut the top off and call it a convertible. It would be the same as cutting the GTS top off and calling it an RT-10! It just doesn't work. I'm happy to see people like the SRT, I hope Dodge sales everyone of them so they can produce what I consider the next Gen Viper the VGX.

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NOTHING would make me trade in my 93 RT10. It has WAY too much sentimental value for me.

Someone mentioned seeing a coupe version first before deciding? Dodge has made it VERY CLEAR that there is "no GTS version in the works"! They are focused on the SRT, the COMP COUPE, and bringing out a slue of high performance Dodge products. But, "if you want to own a GTS then you better get one of the last 300 being made this year". Translation: Viper is coming in 2 versions, one for the street and one for the track. Based on these statements I would venture to say that IF a GTS version was going to even be considered, it would most likely not even become a reality before 2006, IMHO.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GTS Bruce:
I would not trade a gts classic in on the new convertible.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ditto.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, I will break ranks here. I'm looking forward to the day that I can trade my R/T for the SRT. I like the full convertible design.

But without unlimited resources I figure that it will be some time from now.

I'm guessing that in a few years from now DC will come out with the GTS coupe version of the new Viper and many of the early adopters will dump their SRTs for the latest-greatest model, and I'll be there to take their "old" SRT off of their hands. ;)

-Dean.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I admit that if I still had my '98 GTS I would NEVER trade it on an SRT - I would never give up the classic styling of the GTS.

I really HOPE that I will be able to buy a GTS this spring in addition to the SRT I will be getting this fall. Since I don't currently own a "working" Viper, I have my pick of all years. Given that, I would go for a 1999 Silver/Blue ACR (or a GTS if no ACR's are forthcoming). At some point, this car would go to Doug Levin for his magic touch, and would be a toy/racecar that I would keep for the rest of my life.

Serious Eric

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not only would I NOT trade in my GTS for a gen III, but I wouldn't waste garage space to add one to the stable. Saving the extra two bays for a GT-40 and maybe a cobra replica.

IMO DC really screwed the pooch with the new viper. I will NOT be a continuing customer unless they fix it. If I'd wanted an ugly-a$$ corvette/supra ... well then I wouldn't be a viper owner to begin with, now would I?

VOI9 ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Eric, with an attitude like that - I don't think Dodge would want to do anything for you. I would think some thought out constructive criticism would go a lot further.

Serious Eric

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Venom 2K:
Eric, with an attitude like that - I don't think Dodge would want to do anything for you. I would think some thought out constructive criticism would go a lot further.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bah! They don't care about my bad attitude OR my constructive criticism, just my money ... same as any car company. And I've bought two new vipers from them directly and helped along the resale market by purchasing one used viper. So I've done my bit for helping out good ol' DC, thank you very much.

As for them wanting to do anything for me? It's my $75k I'm throwing at them. They need to keep ME happy, not the other way around. Lots of us (me included) gave them quite a bit of constructive feedback on this board several yrs ago when the news of the genIII was leaked here. We said lots of things like "Yes to the V10.", "Yes to ABS", "Keep the curves", "Don't tame it's looks", "Don't make it a derivative of the direction other manufacturers are going in.".

They've had PLENTY of input from lots of us old viper owners and as far as looks go, they ignored us. The time for affecting their choice of direction was back THEN when it was still on the design boards. Nothing I say now is gonna change it's style. Where were you back then? Did you pipe up with an opinion? Maybe you did, I sure know I did and I think I've earned the right to crab now that they've patently ignored our pleas.

Sure the GT-40 is probably a pipe dream, but once again I'm voicing what I hope is a constructive opinion EARLY enough for it to perhaps do a teeny-tiny bit of good. I've also sent my enthusiastic "Build it!" plea directly to Ford. Ya think maybe Ford knows that it's potential buyer pool for the GT-40 resides right here in the viper community? I'll bet they do, and I wouldn't be surprised if John Colletti and his minions peruse this board.

Vypr GT2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
&lt;&lt;Sure the GT-40 is probably a pipe dream, but once again I'm voicing what I hope is a constructive opinion EARLY enough for it to perhaps do a teeny-tiny bit of good. I've also sent my enthusiastic "Build it!" plea directly to Ford. Ya think maybe Ford knows that it's potential buyer pool for the GT-40 resides right here in the viper community? I'll bet they do, and I wouldn't be surprised if John Colletti and his minions peruse this board.&gt;&gt;

I sure hope the GT-40 has a better chance of being built than many seem to think!! As a four-time Viper buyer, I fully intend to buy a GT-40...it is incredible looking- absolutely breathtaking! Keep those letters of support going to Ford! Autoweek also has a fax poll this week re. the GT-40 project!

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cherm:

What would it take for you to trade your current Viper for the GenIII?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A miracle.

As usual Eric Schieve hits the nail on the head.

getbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Eric,
I agree with you on the Shelby Cobra but would consider the VGX ONLY if I couldn't get one of those INCREDIBLE GT40's!!!!! NO way would I part with my GEN II coupe for the VGX.
Hopefully the Viper Coupe will be more enticing.

Sorry Dodge.(I am in love with the RAM SRT-10 though!)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave