What's faster, the old Comp Coupe or the new ACR?

Flyntgr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
with 1.5 G's of cornering, the ACR should hold a decided advantage-not to mention a top speed of 5 mph faster than the Gen.II. The ACR will kick butt against everything but six-digit exotics. Of course, the Comp. coupe IS a six digit car, but doesn't have the horses without mods. MHO.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1.25G and 520 hp on the track-only CC for $125K.
1.50G and 600 hp on the streetable ACR for $100K.

Win win win win in all 4 departments. Need I say which is the fastest? :drive:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
An Enzo is faster than a CC but so what. The CC is still a purpose built race car and for that it deserves big thumbs and big thumbs to Dodge for building it. It no doubt was the proving ground for what the ACR is.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
An Enzo is faster than a CC but so what. The CC is still a purpose built race car and for that it deserves big thumbs and big thumbs to Dodge for building it. It no doubt was the proving ground for what the ACR is.
Funny you should mention the Enzo - I asked the engineers if we really could say "world's fastest street-legal track car" and they said they were confident the ACR could beat anything that was street-legal on a road course today - Enzo, etc. Pretty cool!

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Janni got it, the CC is 300+ lbs lighter. has full slicks and big aero aids, compared to the ACR. I am just guessing that it will not be to long before the CC will be running the same 600hp engine at the '08, that should keep the CC ahead of the ACR with the simple weight advantage alone.

elanderholm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To make it fair you should be able to put Slicks on the ACR and do a comparison. If it pulls 1.5Gs on street tires it would pull a lot more with slicks. The CC pulls a lot more then 1.25 Gs in high speed corners. My evo with RA1s can do that or more.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
no doubt on the track the CC would be faster(especially with the same 600hp engine) around a road course, lighter, more rigid chassis, even with slicks on the ACR

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I quote Bill from another thread:

In talking to a Pro Viper driver, who will remain nameless ( just cuz I don't wantzz to cause them a buncha flack ), the 2008 Viper was virtually able to keep up with a Comp Coupe at the undisclosed , Area 51 ( winning number for the Viper at Lemans ) race track.

Oh, yeh, I forgot , that Snake was just the regular , normal, wimpy , 600 hp Viper----makes you wonder what an aerodynamic , lighter weight, shock and suspension modified , ACR dressed SRT10 might do , when called to dinner?!:2tu:

j-rho

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys, the 1.5G number is great, but it's fantasyland. There's no way in hell the ACR is going to pull that number on a regular magazine-style skidpad test, which is the venue we normally associate these G figures with. That number (1.5) is probably a sort of theoretical (or possibly measured) value of the car in a high-speed corner where the downforce has come into play.

A lighter car on slicks (Comp Coupe) is going to be faster around a low-speed corner than a heavier car on non-slick DOT tires (ACR) - period. Aero comes in to play at higher speeds but the CC has aero too.

This speaks only to the handling side of things, it's possible the greater hp of the ACR could put it ahead of the CC in some situations, like a drag race.

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Guys, the 1.5G number is great, but it's fantasyland. There's no way in hell the ACR is going to pull that number on a regular magazine-style skidpad test, which is the venue we normally associate these G figures with. That number (1.5) is probably a sort of theoretical (or possibly measured) value of the car in a high-speed corner where the downforce has come into play.

A lighter car on slicks (Comp Coupe) is going to be faster around a low-speed corner than a heavier car on non-slick DOT tires (ACR) - period. Aero comes in to play at higher speeds but the CC has aero too.

This speaks only to the handling side of things, it's possible the greater hp of the ACR could put it ahead of the CC in some situations, like a drag race.

Time out. You sound in denial.

Let's think about this. If 1.5gs is exaggerated, what the real number that you would believe? 1.4gs? 1.3gs? 1.2gs? ... all sub-par? I believe the 1.5 number. You overlook that the ACR (and all '08s) also have a new rear diff. And then there's obviously the ACR's new coil-over suspension, sway-bar, tires, etc.

I'd also bet that the aero on the two cars is about equal. Little or no advantage to the CC.

The '08 ACR weighs more, but packs a higher-reving +90HP engine, with a better transmission gearbox.

High speed banking and long straights = slight advantage ACR (my guess).
Slower curves, twisties, short straights = close, we'll have to see them together on the same track to know for sure

This is no knock on the CC ... the ACR has the advantage of being developed years later.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
again just my guessing that '08 CC's will have the same 600hp as the new SRT? If this is true and all other things being equal the the weight advantage alone will swing the numbers towards the CC.

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1.25G and 520 hp on the track-only CC for $125K. :drive:

Where can you purchase a new Comp Coupe for 125K? Last i checked the VRL (spec) CC was near 139K....Please put me on the list for a CC @ 125K

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
again just my guessing that '08 CC's will have the same 600hp as the new SRT?

I asked this question a while ago, and I was told that the CC would NOT be getting the 8.4L (600HP) engine. The reason being that the CC is currently qualified for various forms of pro racing, and the 8.4L will not be approved for the 2008 season. Maybe things could change by 2009, I don't really know.

I have asked elsewhere on the board as to where (which series) the ACR could soon be eligible for racing.

So for now, maybe the big distinction between the CC and ACR is that the CC is for Pro Racing, and the ACR is a club/track-day car.

(on the otherhand, maybe that's why Dodge seems to have been in a hurry to introduce the ACR for 2008?)

Last edited:

j-rho

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Time out. You sound in denial.

Let's think about this. If 1.5gs is exaggerated, what the real number that you would believe? 1.4gs? 1.3gs? 1.2gs? ... all sub-par? I believe the 1.5 number. You overlook that the ACR (and all '08s) also have a new rear diff. And then there's obviously the ACR's new coil-over suspension, sway-bar, tires, etc.

I'd also bet that the aero on the two cars is about equal. Little or no advantage to the CC.

The '08 ACR weighs more, but packs a higher-reving +90HP engine, with a better transmission gearbox.

High speed banking and long straights = slight advantage ACR (my guess).
Slower curves, twisties, short straights = close, we'll have to see them together on the same track to know for sure

This is no knock on the CC ... the ACR has the advantage of being developed years later.
I might believe 1.2 but would be extremely skeptical of 1.3 or higher. This is coming from someone who owns an SRT-10, has driven on real slicks, Michelin Sport Cups, runs proper data acquisition equipment, and has spent plenty of time on the skidpad, including the one most of the magazines use. If any magazine is able to record a sustained 1.5g average (instantaneous peak numbers are meaningless) in an ACR on Sport Cups around a standard 100' skidpad, I will eat my hat.

I think the ACR is fantastic though, don't get me wrong. Right off the showroom floor, it looks as though it'd be on par with PMUM's ACR street car that won the USCC a few years back. If I could swing it I'd trade up in a second. My point is that people here are failing to see what a quantum leap that 1.5 number would be if true. No combination of suspension and diff is going to get a 3300lb car to that number (again, using a standard skidpad) on Michelin Pilot Sport Cups. When the mag tests come in with numbers like 1.22, don't blame their drivers...

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where can you purchase a new Comp Coupe for 125K? Last i checked the VRL (spec) CC was near 139K....Please put me on the list for a CC @ 125K
I was being gracious to the now outdated CC by listing it's initial price at announcement.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I might believe 1.2 but would be extremely skeptical of 1.3 or higher. This is coming from someone who owns an SRT-10, has driven on real slicks, Michelin Sport Cups, runs proper data acquisition equipment, and has spent plenty of time on the skidpad, including the one most of the magazines use. If any magazine is able to record a sustained 1.5g average (instantaneous peak numbers are meaningless) in an ACR on Sport Cups around a standard 100' skidpad, I will eat my hat.

I think the ACR is fantastic though, don't get me wrong. Right off the showroom floor, it looks as though it'd be on par with PMUM's ACR street car that won the USCC a few years back. If I could swing it I'd trade up in a second. My point is that people here are failing to see what a quantum leap that 1.5 number would be if true. No combination of suspension and diff is going to get a 3300lb car to that number (again, using a standard skidpad) on Michelin Pilot Sport Cups. When the mag tests come in with numbers like 1.22, don't blame their drivers...
You do make a good point. 1.5G is raising the bar dramtically and is only a claim at this point. I hope the magazines prove it to be correct. Even if they come in at a measly 1.25G, I will be sold on it. At 1.5G, I will buy it in a heartbeat and wait for all the other car companies to catch up over the next 10 years. :lmao:

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the fact that this is even a discussion speaks volumes about the new ACR. Hat’s off to Dodge and SRT.

Were will they place it a Viper Days? Running with the CC? I can’t imagine.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
This race has already happened!

March 2007 Luke AFB, Phoenix.

2008 Viper beat the Comp Coupe in a drag race to 1/4 and 1/2 mile

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
again just my guessing that '08 CC's will have the same 600hp as the new SRT? If this is true and all other things being equal the the weight advantage alone will swing the numbers towards the CC.

Not True for FIA and WCGT..........

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No reason for Dodge to put the 600HP in a CC as it would have no class (Pro, amatuer, or even VRL) to run in.

Why couldn't it run in SCCA - GT1? This is where they place the current VRL CC. It's not competative in its current configuration. If it was placed there you would have at least a chance, then it would be off to SCCA Nationals.

I'm sure in Amature it would be approve for ITE/SPO - Race what you got?

It would also be approved for NASA...

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
on par with PMUM's ACR street car that won the USCC a few years back. When the mag tests come in with numbers like 1.22, don't blame their drivers...
I doubt the 1.5g figure too, although the new Pilot Sport Cups will no doubt be the stickiest tire in the mags. As for PMUM's ACR, I looked at that car, and it was more like 850 HP according to the guy who was selling it....

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I asked this question a while ago, and I was told that the CC would NOT be getting the 8.4L (600HP) engine. ... Maybe things could change by 2009, I don't really know.

I have asked elsewhere on the board as to where (which series) the ACR could soon be eligible for racing.

So for now, maybe the big distinction between the CC and ACR is that the CC is for Pro Racing, and the ACR is a club/track-day car.

(on the otherhand, maybe that's why Dodge seems to have been in a hurry to introduce the ACR for 2008?)

http://forums.viperclub.org/viper-racing/607992-2008-acr-what-series-will-allow.html#post2459879

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960