What's wrong with my transmission?

HLN A55

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What\'s wrong with my transmission?

It started it out as just being a little difficult to get out of a higher gear when downshifting-I could get it out of gear, but right before entering the true neutral position, it would get stuck. A little jiggling and it would come out. It would not happen all the time, and was not effected by tranny temp or driving style. Now, it is more frequent and the side to side motion, when in neutral, is getting stiffer. What's going on?
I never drag race, and in my opinion, am not that ******* the shifts-I never "bang" a gear when driving hard. My car is relatively stock with 29k miles on it (I drive it as much as I can).

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: What\'s wrong with my transmission?

Mine has done the same thing every now and then. Mainly when going back into neutral to wait at a redlight or whatever. I just assumed it'd be more expensive and time consuming to fix than its worth. Mine hasnt done it in a while, so I havent even thought about it.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Do the obvious, change oil and check the engine/trans mounts. Report back if it helped(unless you already did the change of oil and mounts are good).

OP
OP
H

HLN A55

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Do the obvious, change oil and check the engine/trans mounts. Report back if it helped(unless you already did the change of oil and mounts are good).
Already done. It is at the shop now and they have completed the above without any change.

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score

A long stretch, but maybe you got a bent shift fork?

OP
OP
H

HLN A55

Viper Owner
Reaction score

A long stretch, but maybe you got a bent shift fork?
Would this allow the first set of three gears to be problem free and the second set have the problem?

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score

have chris double check your gating and the fork...sounds like it might be top end related.

OP
OP
H

HLN A55

Viper Owner
Reaction score

have chris double check your gating and the fork...sounds like it might be top end related.
Man do I hope so! It's already down at Cody's . . . he's closer for me :p

Oh, and you need to edit your sig . . . it's way out of date.

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score

This is a stock shifter or an aftermarket short throw?

OP
OP
H

HLN A55

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Everything transmission related is stock.

Update: I just got off of the phone with the shop-they say that the shift forks are gone. Can I have these replaced? What all does that entail? Trying not to get screwed as I have NO knowledge of transmissions.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ask them about the condition of the plastic slides on the tips of the shift fork. They are there to reduce friction. If they are still there, then something really unique happened with the shifting mechanism (the rods or the gates that control the position of the forks.) If the plastic tips are not there, then perhaps someone's been leaning on the shift lever while driving? Very curious - please let us know.

Yes, the forks can be replaced. The transmission has to come apart. The rear case and front case have to be removed, but I don't think the gear clusters actually have to come apart. I'd quickly guess it's half the hourly labor to replace forks as it is to do a complete rebuild?

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Everything transmission related is stock.

Update: I just got off of the phone with the shop-they say that the shift forks are gone. Can I have these replaced? What all does that entail? Trying not to get screwed as I have NO knowledge of transmissions.

There ya go :) My thinking was that it's only one shift fork because you indicated that the first 3 gears are just fine. Going into the problem further, it would perfectly fit the issue with the shifter coming out of gear combined with (maybe) a rod issue as Tom indicated in his post.
Does the stiffer side by side feel occur in the top 3 gears as well or in all gears?

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score

DW will figure it out , I would bet that it is not a huge deal..........

DW did a quick fix on my shifter and that 10 minutes he spent changed my driving style...he can work wonders.

D

DAMN YANKEE

How did it all work out?

OP
OP
H

HLN A55

Viper Owner
Reaction score

How did it all work out?
It's still sitting at the shop. Waiting to hear back from T56 rebuilders.

In my discussion with T56, it seems like it just needs a little rebuild, but we will see what happens after DW talks with them.

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score

In my discussion with T56, it seems like it just needs a little rebuild, but we will see what happens after DW talks with them.

ugh...a little rebuild...tell me it will be ready for the 24th... ;)

OP
OP
H

HLN A55

Viper Owner
Reaction score

ugh...a little rebuild...tell me it will be ready for the 24th... ;)

I don't know. Still haven't heard anything from them-getting a little pissed actually-should have heard something by now.

I'm thinking of going, picking it up myself and bringing it down there to Houston. Cut the middle guy out completley. We'll see what happens come Monday . . .

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc