Wheel hop - Cure?

FATHERFORD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Took my 97 GTS down the track for the first time this past Saturday off the bottle. I ran a 12.4 at 121 mph with a 2.1 60' on my 2nd and last pass. I am currently running on some "old" PS1's. I left from idle and pretty much instantly have wheel hop. Pedaling the car going all the way through 3rd trying to keep from spinning/hopping.

What are y'all doing to prevent the massive amount of wheel hop? Would going to a CCW drag pack with some e/t streets help cure the wheel hop? I'm fearing the amount of wheel hop I have I'll start breaking half shafts. Would love to see 11's n/a before I hit the giggle juice.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For what its worth, after attending a Tator tech session 2 years ago on adjusting the stock shocks, I decided to adjust mine. All 4 were set differently ranging from very (full soft) to stiff. After setting them all the same, about 2.5 half turns I believe, I've had a lot less wheel hop. That combined with Woodhouse poly mounts have all but eliminated it.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Umm. Tony... How do you adjust what appears to be the non-adjustable stock shocks?

And on the tires... I have Pilot Sports from mid 2006 and they have done just fine after the poly mounts.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Umm. Tony... How do you adjust what appears to be the non-adjustable stock shocks?

And on the tires... I have Pilot Sports from mid 2006 and they have done just fine after the poly mounts.

They're adjustable, Rebound-Only. I never did a write up on it, I was too lazy back then, but they can be adjusted from either super-stiff to super-soft. I went with 2.5 half turns from zero. I think I recall some threads on this, i'll look and post what it entails.

OP
OP
F

FATHERFORD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They're adjustable, Rebound-Only. I never did a write up on it, I was too lazy back then, but they can be adjusted from either super-stiff to super-soft. I went with 2.5 half turns from zero. I think I recall some threads on this, i'll look and post what it entails.

If you could find some info that would be great. Maybe I can make some adjustments to the rear shocks and air pressure. I forgot to bring my tire gauge to the track and have no idea what my pressures was at.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, with some more reading I have came up with this..

1. Tires/tire pressure could be part reason
2. Motor/tranny mounts. Already fix these though.
3. Adjust the rear factory koni's firmer. Adjustment Procedure 76, 80, 82, 86, 87, 88, 90, 8040, 8240 Series

I highly recommend checking/adjusting all 4 shocks. Tator has seen a number of Vipers from the factory that have the shocks all set differently. On mine, for example, the LF, RR shocks were set to zero (super soft) while the RF and LR were set somewhere between 3 and 5 turns. I specifically recall my left front bouncing around like a super-ball at times.

OP
OP
F

FATHERFORD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is a spring compressor required, or is this like most typical aftermarket coil over setups that don't require a compressor?

I hope to go back out in two weeks in a little cooler weather with some sticky tires and get a solid 11 second pass.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is a spring compressor required, or is this like most typical aftermarket coil over setups that don't require a compressor?

I hope to go back out in two weeks in a little cooler weather with some sticky tires and get a solid 11 second pass.

You need to remove the cap and springs in order to adjust the shocks. A spring compressor is highly recommended. If you use/rent those cheap $20 spring compressor clamps from AutoZone wear some body armour. AB did a write up on removing the coil-over on an SRT. It had some nice pics of the process and compressor used but the pics seem broken: http://forums.viperclub.org/illustr...l-over-removal-srt-10-ab-pictures-inside.html

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You need to remove the cap and springs in order to adjust the shocks. A spring compressor is highly recommended. If you use/rent those cheap $20 spring compressor clamps from AutoZone wear some body armour. AB did a write up on removing the coil-over on an SRT. It had some nice pics of the process and compressor used but the pics seem broken: http://forums.viperclub.org/illustr...l-over-removal-srt-10-ab-pictures-inside.html

What caliber of spring compressor is needed then? A floor model?

Or...

OTC 7294 Spring Compressor MacPherson Strut Hook Type OTC7294

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What caliber of spring compressor is needed then? A floor model?

Or...

OTC 7294 Spring Compressor MacPherson Strut Hook Type OTC7294

I used this type from AutoZone's loan tool program. I feared for my life during the whole process. It was cheaply made and I stripped the threads. Note: It was a much cheaper model than the one pictured on Eastwood above. The one in eastwood looks MUCH better than the one I used from AutoZone.

AB had a pump-handle/hydraulic version pictured in his how-to that looked fabulous. It looked awfully close to the Troy 1 Ton Hydraulic compressor here: MaxTool.com - Get the lowest price on name brand tools and equipment. Maybe the three of us can go in on one of these together. I'm going to be installing spring caps soon. :D

Last edited:

Jayturbo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When I ran my 08 Viper at the drag the other day, I experienced serious wheel hops with my stock PS2s. So, what I tried was to do a burn-out. I thought burnouts wouldn't help at all with street tires, but I was wrong. It did help. With the burnouts, I was able to shorten the time by a lot and wheel hop was actually gone. (Almost completely gone, that is). I think it's the traction problem. When my friend had the 18 inch SSRs with BFG Drag Radials, he didn't have any wheel hops. I think better traction solves the wheel hop problem by a lot. Not completely, but satisfactorily. ;-)

----------------------
08 SSG Viper Coupe, 4.10 Gears (Plan: Intake, Exhaust and ECU)
08 JSB Corvette Z06 (588WHP)(Plan: Nitrous)
07 Gray 997TT 6-Speed (Plan: Switzer's 750HP Package)
02 Blue M3 6-Speed (Stock; Track Car)
09 Black GL450 (Wife's)
(Plan: Add an F430):drive:

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rubber. Big time!

Broke 1/2 shaft last year on the start line due to wheel hop. Tires were the issue. Now that I have the new PS2's, I have no wheel hop.

My 2 cents.

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First off 2.1 60' time is really really bad. So if the problem is hopping wheels go get some 18" SSR rims, MT drag radials and then launch at about 1500 RPM but don't pop the clutch. No spin no hop .748 60' time 11.91 1/4 at 118+ Remember it's only money.... Still looking to get this down into the 11.8 range and it should be fairly easy. I think it's more my driving than the car. Practice and make notes.

Last edited:

Tim

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had bad Wheel Hop on my Yellow 2002 RT10 until I installed Strykers Heads, intake, cam etc and added another 150+ HP to the rear wheels and now the wheel hop is no more. :D:D:DI just spin until I grab 2nd and she hooks up and is gone.:2tu:

Tim