Wheel Hop

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the Woodhouse red mounts, motons, PS2's and I cannot remember the last time I experianced wheel hop. I drive very hard.

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Care to list these $$$ mods? I saved a few $$$ after the car was bought for stuff like this.

There are plenty of independant rear suspension cars out there that do not have hop issues. The problem can be greatly reduced with a few mods if not eliminated. Granted they are pretty pricey solutions but they will improve the Viper in alot of other areas also at the same time.
YEAH!! lots of independents, BUT they have 1 lower control arm or Radius bar that is rigid and an upper strut. Viper has upper and lower A arms and Rubber bushings upper and lower. Need to get them rigid from twisting action. Need to get the lower from moving and twisting.:headbang:

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Nothing,,,,,,lol I was just hopeing that It would just go away.....

I have been watching wheel-hop threads for the past 3 years and still sounds like the best way is to switch out to motons and that is not completely 100%.
So yes i'm the type that ******* about the President and doesn't vote....lol J/K

Why dont you actually try changing something, then you wont have to post threads complaining. The easiest switch is PS2 tires. Next step is Motons. Why do you think they are putting PS2's on the 08's. Its a better tire.

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
YEAH!! lots of independents, BUT they have 1 lower control arm or Radius bar that is rigid and an upper strut. Viper has upper and lower A arms and Rubber bushings upper and lower. Need to get them rigid from twisting action. Need to get the lower from moving and twisting.:headbang:

I've looked for stiffer bushings for the rear and have had no luck. If you watch the rear suspension as you apply power you can see how the soft bushings allow the wheel move forward and backward. Better bushings would be the final step in elinating wheel hop....it's gonna be a fun job changing those out. ;)

Reaction score
Most of the harder bushings will ause other problems such as noise and or control arm "bind" which s not a good thing for handling.

Off track a bit but what is the rear of the Vette set up as? I thought it had A arms also? Never see or hear abot hop in them.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
For what its worth, I had a lot of wheel hop until I adjusted my shocks. It turns out the Koni's were each set at a different setting from the factory. The settings ranged from 0 - 6 half-turns. Tator advised to me set them at 2.5 and most of the hop is gone.
\

THE YEAR MATTERS, Tony.... what works on a Gen 2 or Gen 1 does not apply on Gen 3, this discussion board.

t i t o

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Most of the harder bushings will ause other problems such as noise and or control arm "bind" which s not a good thing for handling.

Off track a bit but what is the rear of the Vette set up as? I thought it had A arms also? Never see or hear abot hop in them.

The vette has a composite leafspring both front and rear, with a shock at all four corners. Rarely, if ever, do they get wheel hop. I've experienced it once in 10 years, and it was very mild. This was with C4's, C5's, C6's and, the C6Z's.

Edit: They do have A-arms.

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Why dont you actually try changing something, then you wont have to post threads complaining. The easiest switch is PS2 tires. Next step is Motons. Why do you think they are putting PS2's on the 08's. Its a better tire.

ummmmm. You've talked me into it:2tu:

maybe you should read my run crap thread and that will answer why i didn't go with the PS2. But I do believe you.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
ummmmm. You've talked me into it:2tu:

maybe you should read my run crap thread and that will answer why i didn't go with the PS2. But I do believe you.

When I took my Runflats off, I found a staple in one, but didnt go thru, I wondered if it would have affected the PS2's. I also though about getting HRE's, which I may still do, and then keep stockers with run flats for trips.
Then I thought, the chance of a nail is slim. Its not worth worrying and running on crappy tires. Ditch the runflats and get PS2's, carry some type of tire sealant if you go on a trip and maybe carry a AAA memebership tow card. And then sit back and enjoy the nice ride and handling.:2tu:

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When I took my Runflats off, I found a staple in one, but didnt go thru, I wondered if it would have affected the PS2's. I also though about getting HRE's, which I may still do, and then keep stockers with run flats for trips.
Then I thought, the chance of a nail is slim. Its not worth worrying and running on crappy tires. Ditch the runflats and get PS2's, carry some type of tire sealant if you go on a trip and maybe carry a AAA memebership tow card. And then sit back and enjoy the nice ride and handling.:2tu:

The difference in a run flat to a non run flat is the side wall not the tread. A nail i could live with but a had a 2-3 inch slice out of the center of the tire, no sealant would have fixed that.

fqberful

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Tire sealant is a bad idea, it may destroy the TPS and corrode the wheels. Instead carry one of those small air compressors that plugs into the lighter, a small scissor jack, and a tire plugging kit. This will fix anything that isn't damage to a sidewall, nothing will fix that and sidewall damage may stop a run flat also. AAA is a good idea if you travel a lot.

FYI new porsche like caman have sealant instead of a spare ... not good.

Just my own 0.02 worth.
--Ed

Jsparks

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Has anyone just replaced the rear tire? Save some money and still have the protection of the run flats in the front

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Motons, PS2's, and a Quaife will virtually eliminate the hop.
This is the answer to the wheel hop let me see $3500 for the Quaife $1800 for the ps2 and $3k for the motons. I wonder why dodge didn't get it right the first time. Add $8300.00 to the cost of the car just to keep it on the ground.

Badazzv8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is the answer to the wheel hop let me see $3500 for the Quaife $1800 for the ps2 and $3k for the motons. I wonder why dodge didn't get it right the first time. Add $8300.00 to the cost of the car just to keep it on the ground.

Not truly $8300 though b/c you have replacement costs b/c we still do have a rear diff, tires, and suspension. I see what you're saying, that it would still have added to the cost.

I still can't believe that Dodge put runflat tires on what's supposed to be a track car for the street. No spare, blah blah. 95% of us don't take the car for really long drives without having other Vipers/cars around or an AAA membership. So it was solving a problem by creating a greater annoyance for the 95% of us that hate the tires.

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The wheel hop & fishtailing with runflats on my Viper was very very bad. Went to Pierelli 18" & 19" -this helped but still some wheel hop with a lot of spinning & some fish tailing. Went with Motons and it helped.

Then I had the DLM SC install with the 3.55 gear and light weight fly wheel so something more had to be done. I went with the Hoosier A6 on the rear - no wheel hop ,a little spinning in first gear with no fishtailing in any gear. Viper just hooks up and goes straight as a arrow. Very little warm up is needed. Its amazing what these tires have done for my Viper.

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My buddy who has a Z06 has hoosiers on his car. amazing bite but street illegal. I do want to get a set for the rears. Like a kid in a candy store....... We raced a couple months ago through a few gears I lost but, it wasn't lack of power I climbed on him had to let off the gas to get the wheels to stop spinning. I am hoping that this will change with my new PS2's. It's raining as I type.......

Jsparks

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The wheel hop & fishtailing with runflats on my Viper was very very bad. Went to Pierelli 18" & 19" -this helped but still some wheel hop with a lot of spinning & some fish tailing. Went with Motons and it helped.

Then I had the DLM SC install with the 3.55 gear and light weight fly wheel so something more had to be done. I went with the Hoosier A6 on the rear - no wheel hop ,a little spinning in first gear with no fishtailing in any gear. Viper just hooks up and goes straight as a arrow. Very little warm up is needed. Its amazing what these tires have done for my Viper.

How are those A6 in everyday road conditions? How many miles do you have on them?