Wheel Hop

HPATTERN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have an 06 viper. Under hard acceleration there is a lot of wheel hop. Anytime the tires spin. Is this just part of it?

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Switch to PS2's and get rid of the stock run craps. That will solve your problem totally.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Switch to PS2's and get rid of the stock run craps. That will solve your problem totally.
Hard accell or hard shifting will still get wheel hop even with PS2's. But PS2's make a big improvement. A combo of Motons and PS2's basically eliminate wheel hop but its still there.

Hamrhead

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I switched to PS2's and it did decrease my wheel hop problem.

I still get some hop, but not as harsh as with RunFlats.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dont take this the wrong way but learn how to drive it.

Dont take this wrong, but if YOU are not getting wheel hop out of the stock set-up, your not driving it hard enough. Maybe you use the skip shift feature??

JACKED DADDY

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My 06 coupe does the same thing. It also looks weak to the on lookers. I am wondering if we should launch a little harder. I light up the C5 convertible right through third. Smelly tire burning, smokey sideway action. Man I dont have the heart to do that to the viper. If you experiment let me know.

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dont take this wrong, but if YOU are not getting wheel hop out of the stock set-up, your not driving it hard enough. Maybe you use the skip shift feature??

HAHAHAHAH!! Seriously, anyone who says they don't get wheel hop without doing major modifications is not driving the thing hard enough!:rolleyes:

With the stock suspension it's like tire basket ball.

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think we all like to burn the tires once in awhile. I changed fron stock to all new PS2s 4 months ago. It made a little difference but still it would hop bad enough that I would think it could tear out a rear end mount. Man, The guy that comes up with a traction bar set up for a Viper is going to be one Rich ****. It has to be the A arms twisting back and forth??:dunno: :dunno:

Dave Moore

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I have done the motons, the engine and transmission mounts, the quaife rear diff. and the ps2's. It still happens once in a while...I just give it more gas and hold on:omg: :D :D :drive:

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 345x19 are the widest production tire put on a car. That’s a lot of rubber surface area trying to grip the road.

My GTS was worse.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A lot of good info here, as I've wondered about the wheel hop in my '01 GTS. So I guess I DO drive it hard enough...

Does anyone know if wheel hop eventually ends up breaking anything, or causing premature wear on any particular part(s)?

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Riding out the wheel hop is one of the worst thing you can do to the drive line. It's like a jack hammer on everything.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Riding out the wheel hop is one of the worst thing you can do to the drive line. It's like a jack hammer on everything.

Yeah... he is right, But It usually happens if Im racing somone or showing off, so I just ride it out.:D If something breaks.... F**k it, I'll buy a new one. :lmao:

(Tht last line is more a inside joke for ILLSMOQ)

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The problem has nothing to do with the tires or with the rear end bushing or transmission bushings. It is the A arms twisting back and forth with no lock or support. Think of how traction bars work on a car with springs or coil overs in the rear. To get rid of wheel hop on a Mustang with upper and lower track bars and coil overs you put in poly bushings. On a vehicle with a 4 link more rigid set up there is no hop. Need to design a traction bar running from the lower A arm to the frame that can swivel yet keep the A arm from twisting for and aft. Are there any stiffer than stock A arm bushings out there aftermarket ?That would help. Have to get rid of the twist upper to lower.

Reaction score
There are plenty of independant rear suspension cars out there that do not have hop issues. The problem can be greatly reduced with a few mods if not eliminated. Granted they are pretty pricey solutions but they will improve the Viper in alot of other areas also at the same time.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The problem has nothing to do with the tires or with the rear end bushing or transmission bushings. It is the A arms twisting back and forth with no lock or support.

Twisting the control arms certainly sounds BAD! Poly bushings seems only like it adds more support, but does it actually reduce or eliminate the forces that are bending the arms?

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are plenty of independant rear suspension cars out there that do not have hop issues. The problem can be greatly reduced with a few mods if not eliminated. Granted they are pretty pricey solutions but they will improve the Viper in alot of other areas also at the same time.

Care to list these $$$ mods? I saved a few $$$ after the car was bought for stuff like this.

Reaction score
Non run flat tires
Moton suspension with the correct Eibach springs
Proper alignment settings
quaife differential
I think a lower gear ratio helps also but just my opinion
Racelogic traction control will not let the wheels spin as much and will recover smoother

Hope this helps

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Again, the PS2's make a huge difference, and then adding Motons after, basically eliminated wheel hop. I rarely if at all hop anymore. It was real annoying whn car was stock.
Yetsterday some guys were yellin at a light to do a burnout, so light turned green and I dropped clutch and it smoked and spun tires nice and smoothe for a loooong ways, on run craps i would have been hopping all over the place.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have Pilot Sports - the directional ones. Everyone is saying PS2's versus run flats. How much difference in regards to wheel hop will getting rid of my Pilot Sports and putting on PS2's make?

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I Have Wheel Hop And Hate It!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just Thought I Would Comment That I Have It And Still Have No Figured Out How To Get Rid Of It Completely......

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For what its worth, I had a lot of wheel hop until I adjusted my shocks. It turns out the Koni's were each set at a different setting from the factory. The settings ranged from 0 - 6 half-turns. Tator advised to me set them at 2.5 and most of the hop is gone.

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Nothing,,,,,,lol I was just hopeing that It would just go away.....

I have been watching wheel-hop threads for the past 3 years and still sounds like the best way is to switch out to motons and that is not completely 100%.
So yes i'm the type that ******* about the President and doesn't vote....lol J/K